Banking and Payment Protection issue ?

Guest Monty

My default browser is Firefox.

When I use the ESET Banking and Payment Protection option, my banking Login is always remembered.

I have checked every possible setting in Firefox, that relates to auto remembering logins, history and anything else, in the Firefox Privacy and Security settings, but the problem persists.

I do not want the login to be remembered.

As a matter of interest, if I use any other Browser in conjunction with the ESET B & P P option this problem does not arise, and If I use Firefox without applying the ESET Banking and Payment Protection option it does not arise either?  There is something happening here that seems to indicate a conflict between Firefox and the B & P P option. I have no wish to use a different browser as my default.

Has anybody else experienced this, and if so how do I fix it ?

• Administrators

It's possible to disable asking about saving logins in the secure browser. The standard Firefox browser uses a different profile so you can set this separately.

image.png

On 3/9/2021 at 8:27 AM, Marcos said:

image.png

Remove all check marks under Logins and Passwords setting. That should do the trick. You will have to temporarily enable the Ask setting to do this.

Guest Monty
7 hours ago, itman said:

Remove all check marks under Logins and Passwords setting. That should do the trick. You will have to temporarily enable the Ask setting to do this.

Done that, but it makes no difference ?

• Administrators

Couldn't it be that you have the ESET Password Manager installed in the secure browser? With the above options disabled and no ESET PWM extension installed I can't imagine what could cause Firefox to remember your logins.

Guest Mmonty205
2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Couldn't it be that you have the ESET Password Manager installed in the secure browser? With the above options disabled and no ESET PWM extension installed I can't imagine what could cause Firefox to remember your logins.

ESET Password Manager ????

I don't use a password manager, so if it is set, and I would not know where to look to set it, then it must be some sort of default setting of which I am unaware ?

As to taking a screen shot of my banking log in page showing my Login ID, I think I will give that a miss for the time being.

Guest Monty
1 hour ago, itman said:

Post a screen shot of FireFox open in B&PP mode that makes you believe that FF is saving your login/password data.

I can see no way to post a screen shot but I can describe the screen.

When I select my Banking page, a small window opens which requests that I insert my Login ID.

As soon as I move the mouse to the window an click on the empty space, a small window opens underneath, listing not only my current Login ID, but also any that I may have used previously, or any that I may have entered incorrectly.

Make sure all the highlighted settings in the below screen shot are disabled. If that doesn't help, you can always set Firefox to private browsing mode. This will delete everything at browser close time.

Eset_FF.thumb.png.95d76c188e6a883af1d1bd55021422f6.png

35 minutes ago, Guest Monty said:

When I select my Banking page, a small window opens which requests that I insert my Login ID.

As soon as I move the mouse to the window an click on the empty space, a small window opens underneath, listing not only my current Login ID, but also any that I may have used previously, or any that I may have entered incorrectly.

What this might be related to is a cookie setting by the bank or something on this order. When I access my bank's web site, I have to directly enter my logon id and password there. I have never heard of a bank web site creating a log on popup as you describe. Especially one that appears to have stored all your logon ids.

Again, FF Private browsing mode clears all cookies, web site history, you name it upon close of the browser.

Guest Monty

I have set Private Browsing but it makes no difference ?

I am totally perplexed.

It seems that, for some reason, if I use the ESET B&PP option in conjunction with Firefox, then the problem arises, but if I use any other browser all is well. Similarly if I don't use the B&PP option, in conjunction with Firefox, when logging on to my bank, then there is no problem.

Thank you both for your patience in advising on the issue, but I am going to use another browser for all my personal banking, from now on, as there is obviously something going on by way of some sort of conflict between Firefox and ESET's B&PP option.

Thanks again.

There is another possibility.

That is the bank web site popup is being created from Firefox's cached data. Per the below screen shot; clear that data when FF is open via B&PP.

Of note is FF's private browser mode does not clear cached web content at browser close time; it only clears cookies and web site data. I suspect that that bank web site logon popup you are observing was created by the bank web site:

FF_Clear.thumb.png.33eb11a0e624d9aab6a3375e21851b77.png

• Most Valued Members
8 hours ago, Guest Monty said:

I have set Private Browsing but it makes no difference ?

I am totally perplexed.

It seems that, for some reason, if I use the ESET B&PP option in conjunction with Firefox, then the problem arises, but if I use any other browser all is well. Similarly if I don't use the B&PP option, in conjunction with Firefox, when logging on to my bank, then there is no problem.

Thank you both for your patience in advising on the issue, but I am going to use another browser for all my personal banking, from now on, as there is obviously something going on by way of some sort of conflict between Firefox and ESET's B&PP option.

Thanks again.

I couldn't see it so can I ask what version of Eset are you using - you can find this by opening Eset and going to update - the version number should be shown there. 

Also on your keyboard there should be a PrntScn button alongside some others normally after the F buttons e.g. F12 - When you have the issue press the PrntScn button to take a screenshot and simply open something like paint and simply right click and select paste - you can then save this as an image e.g. JPEG, although make sure to crop the image and remove anything you don't want anyone to see e.g. personal information. You can simply use paint to cover over anything e.g. email address if shown.

Guest Monty
4 hours ago, peteyt said:

I couldn't see it so can I ask what version of Eset are you using - you can find this by opening Eset and going to update - the version number should be shown there. 

Also on your keyboard there should be a PrntScn button alongside some others normally after the F buttons e.g. F12 - When you have the issue press the PrntScn button to take a screenshot and simply open something like paint and simply right click and select paste - you can then save this as an image e.g. JPEG, although make sure to crop the image and remove anything you don't want anyone to see e.g. personal information. You can simply use paint to cover over anything e.g. email address if shown.

Version is 14.0.22.0

I have an image of the relevant screen but there is no way to post it in this forum, as it it not directly related to any URL.

• Most Valued Members
On 3/12/2021 at 9:24 PM, Guest Monty said:

Version is 14.0.22.0

I have an image of the relevant screen but there is no way to post it in this forum, as it it not directly related to any URL.

You'd maybe be able to post it online and share the link here - there are lots of image share sites, temporary sites etc. I'm not sure what limitations you may have as a guest account but you can post images on the forum but you'd maybe need to register to do so

On 3/12/2021 at 4:24 PM, Guest Monty said:

If you created the screen shot using MS Paint for example and saved it, it would have created a .png file to whatever directory, etc. you specified. I usually save mine to the Win desktop.

To inset this saved screen shot in a forum posting, you select "Choose files" and navigate to where the .png file is saved. When you select "Open," the image file will be loaded into the current posting your are creating. You finally select the "+" sign for the loaded image file which will inset it into the posting. Finally you select the "Submit" tab which creates the forum posting entry.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, itman said:

If you created the screen shot using MS Paint for example and saved it, it would have created a .png file to whatever directory, etc. you specified. I usually save mine to the Win desktop.

To inset this saved screen shot in a forum posting, you select "Choose files" and navigate to where the .png file is saved. When you select "Open," the image file will be loaded into the current posting your are creating. You finally select the "+" sign for the loaded image file which will inset it into the posting. Finally you select the "Submit" tab which creates the forum posting entry.

Not 100 percent sure If guest accounts can attach anything 

• Most Valued Members

you can upload the image to https://imgur.com/ and you can insert the link here.

guests can't upload files in the forum. you could always create an account and continue using the full features of the site.

• 2 months later...
Guest BobK
On 3/14/2021 at 4:42 PM, Guest Monty said:

Thanks for your help and advice, but I am just going to use a different browser for my banking business.

Not sure I understand the Q and A to this point but I just experienced a setting conflict and corrected it as follows:
When I set Firefox Privacy and Security Options to Enable HTTPS-Only Mode in all windows my banking security won't allow my entry.
Returning FF to Don't enable HTTPS-Only Mode things go back to normal.
Hope this gives someone benefit.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:26 PM, Guest BobK said:

When I set Firefox Privacy and Security Options to Enable HTTPS-Only Mode in all windows my banking security won't allow my entry.

Note that Banking and Payment Protection uses a separate Firefox profile than Firefox opened in non-B&PP mode. As such, HTTPS-Only setting can be turned off in Firefox B&PP mode and enabled in regular FireFox browsing mode. However, I am not sure HTTPS only mode in regular Firefox mode works without any issues. I recollect forum postings where some were having issues with it.

Edited by itman