Changing installation folder not working?

I needed to reinstall eset because Windows complained that there was no anti-virus installed after renewing eset.  Buggy renewall feature it would seem.

I uninstalled eset through the Programs and Features dialog, rebooted and now I am trying to reinstall it but it won't let me choose the installation folders.

I am trying to reinstall it on a different drive than the default and it does not let me. 

I even tried creating those folders myself but it won't accept it? There is only a 'Back' button...

Even clicking 'Back' it says 'Invalid Folders Selected' and it is now 'stuck' in that dialog... 

Looks like the interface for choosing folders is buggy. 

My previous eset was installed on that exact drive and worked for several years.

So now I don't have an anti-virus or a firewall on my PC!

Note: Looks like changing the installation folders is a bug since 2017 according to this:

https://forum.eset.com/topic/13698-invalid-folder-can-only-install-on-default-folder/

So is it possible or not?

Cannot Set Install Folders.png

Edited by virtualpaul

14 minutes ago, virtualpaul said:

So now I don't have an anti-virus or a firewall on my PC!

If your OS is Win 10 after Eset was uninstalled, Windows Defender should have activated as real-time scanner. Verify in Windows Security Center that WD is the active real-time solution and that the Windows firewall is turned  on.

On 3/1/2021 at 9:05 AM, Marcos said:

Please make sure that the target folders do not exist.

Thanks.  The error message seems to indicate the contrary though.  It should says something like "Folder already exist.  Please select another location." to be clear.

I tried again after deleting the folders but I still get a 'red' rectangle around the 'Data Folder'. 

What are the 'legal' locations for 'Data Folder'?

Edited by virtualpaul

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Are you positive that G:\Program files\ESET doesn't exist before you run the installer?

I kept "g:\Program Files\ESET\" but deleted "g:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\" since I thought I could keep the previous installation folder g:\Program Files\ESET\Data".  Or does the installing have to be completely clean. 

The installer does not complain about the other two paths.

Edited by virtualpaul

• Administrators
1 minute ago, virtualpaul said:

I kept "g:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\"The installer does not complain about the other two paths.

You must delete it prior to running the installer.

3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

You must delete it prior to running the installer.

Sorry I replied too fast and edited my previous post that you quoted.

Ok.  Is there a way to keep previous settings of eset?  Site whitelist, blacklist, firewall, etc

Edited by virtualpaul

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, virtualpaul said:

Ok.  Is there a way to keep previous settings of eset?  Site whitelist, blacklist, firewall, etc

If you install it on top of the previous versions, all settings will be preserved. Ie. you cannot change the path during installation.

What you can do is export the configuration, uninstall ESET and install it from scratch to different folders. After installation import the configuration xml.

11 minutes ago, Marcos said:

If you install it on top of the previous versions, all settings will be preserved.

Thanks.   Ok I will try.

So far it won't let me put the data folder from inside the eset program folder:

g:\Program Files\ESET Security\Data\

So here is what I did that worked:

g:\Program Files\ESET Security\

g:\Program Files\ESET Security Data\

g:\Program Files\ESET Security\Modules\

Edited by virtualpaul