Email (IMAPS) scanning not working?

Outcast
Go to solution Solved by Outcast,

I'm currently running a trial of ESET NOD32 Antivirus 14.0.22.0 on Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2.

I have "Append tag messages to received and read email" set to "To all email when scanned", and "Update subject of received and read email" is enabled. Shouldn't this cause all received email to be modified, indicating that it was scanned?

I'm not seeing any changes to my incoming messages. I'm receiving mail via IMAPS on port 993, and NOD32 is configured to "Enable IMAPS checking" on "585, 993".

What could be going on here?

• Administrators

Please open a support ticket with your local ESET distributor since deeper investigation will be needed. It could be that it's only html emails that don't show the notification, e.g. because the notification was added to an html code which is not visible or it was not possible to determine a correct place in the html code for the notification. To confirm or rule out my assumption, try sending a plain text email to yourself.

I just sent a plain text message to myself, and the message is unmodified. As I did with the HTML messages I tested with before, I also looked at the raw message content.

How do I find my local ESET distributor to send a support request?

I'm using POP Peeper, but also using Proxifier which acts as a local proxy. I've tried various configurations (including bypassing Proxifier so POP Peeper connects directly to the email server), and can't get it to work.

• Solution

I got it working. I excluded both poppeeper.exe and ekrn.exe from Proxifier by adding them each to a Proxifier rule with its action set to "Direct". Then I set "SSL/TLS protocol filtering mode" to "Policy mode". I verified that poppeeper.exe was listed in the "List of SSSL/TLS filtered applications" (it already was, and it was set to "Auto", which is how I left it).

When I subsequently saw ekrn.exe connecting the email server on port 993, I knew it was working. Another test message verified as much.

Thank you for the replies.

Edited by Outcast

I'm currently running a trial of ESET NOD32 Antivirus 14.0.22.0 on Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2.

I have "Append tag messages to received and read email" set to "To all email when scanned", and "Update subject of received and read email" is enabled. Shouldn't this cause all received email to be modified, indicating that it was scanned?

I'm not seeing any changes to my incoming messages. I'm receiving mail via IMAPS on port 993, and NOD32 is configured to "Enable IMAPS checking" on "585, 993".)

you are doing some little mistake in this recheck 1 time more....

• Administrators
2 hours ago, samkaran said:

I'm not seeing any changes to my incoming messages. I'm receiving mail via IMAPS on port 993, and NOD32 is configured to "Enable IMAPS checking" on "585, 993".)

Try sending a plain text email to yourself and see if a tag message is appended.

Mistake? The issue is resolved. For some reason, I had to exclude my email client from the local proxy (Proxifier) to make it work, but work it does. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

Try sending a plain text email to yourself and see if a tag message is appended.

I have two e-mail providers setup up in Thunderbird. One is AOL and the other is my ISP provided e-mail.

AOL e-mail which is IMAPS port 993 never has Eset generated message appended. ISP e-mail which is POPS port 995 does have Eset generated message appended. Now the AOL e-mail uses OAuth2, so maybe that's a factor. Or, there is an issue with this feature for IMAPS e-mail. It does make one wonder if Eset is actually scanning IMAPS e-mail.

Edited by itman