EIS Breaks Windows 10 Spotlight Lockscreen

Go to solution Solved by bluenite,

Are you sure you're not using one of the Win 10 anti-telemetry products popular these days? Most of those disable this spotlight feature by default.

• Administrators

Does disabling real-time protection in the advanced setup and rebooting the machine make a difference? If not, what about temporarily disabling HIPS and rebooting the machine?

Should the problem persist, try disabling the firewall and protocol filtering, one at a time.

As noted in this article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/windows-spotlight-lock-screen-picture-wont-change/443cc26c-29f1-4481-80c9-6fb7130f6191 , Spotlight uses Bing to download new images for use by Spotlight.

It is possible that the Eset firewall is blocking this activity. Doubtful this is the case if the Eset firewall Filtering mode is set to Automatic. This mode allows all outbound network traffic. Verify that Eset firewall Filtering mode is set to Automatic.  Also verify in the Network Protection home screen that the Troubleshooting wizard  does not show any Recently blocked applications or devices as evidenced by a non-zero count.

Also given in the linked Microsoft Technet article is how to diagnose and correct Spotlight Lockscreen issues.

Edited by itman

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

Does disabling real-time protection in the advanced setup and rebooting the machine make a difference? If not, what about temporarily disabling HIPS and rebooting the machine?

Should the problem persist, try disabling the firewall and protocol filtering, one at a time.

I tried disabling real-time protection, restarted the pc. Without any results. I'll try to turn off HIPS again, most of the time it protests. I went through the FW rules, but I don't know which one is right for windows spotlight. There are hundreds of them.

• Administrators

Disable HIPS and firewall in the advanced setup, one at a time. After disabling HIPS a computer restart will be needed.

58 minutes ago, itman said:

As noted in this article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/windows-spotlight-lock-screen-picture-wont-change/443cc26c-29f1-4481-80c9-6fb7130f6191 , Spotlight uses Bing to download new images for use by Spotlight.

It is possible that the Eset firewall is blocking this activity. Doubtful this is the case if the Eset firewall Filtering mode is set to Automatic. This mode allows all outbound network traffic. Verify that Eset firewall Filtering mode is set to Automatic.  Also verify in the Network Protection home screen that the Troubleshooting wizard  does not show any Recently blocked applications or devices as evidenced by a non-zero count.

Also given in the linked Microsoft Technet article is how to diagnose and correct Spotlight Lockscreen issues.

FW filtering mode I have set to Interactive mode, no automatic.

I think that article deals with the problem in general, not in connection with antivirus. When I didn't have EIS installed, everything was ok, the images changed after each reboot. Otherwise, I don't mind the whole thing, I don't always need a new picture from Bing. Although I must admit that some are very nice. Mainly sceneries from nature.

Edited by bluenite

• Administrators

May

3 minutes ago, bluenite said:

FW filtering mode I have set to Interactive mode, no automatic.

Maybe you have created a rule which blocks certain communication which prevents new images from being downloaded. Try pausing or disabling the firewall as suggested.

13 minutes ago, Marcos said:

May

Maybe you have created a rule which blocks certain communication which prevents new images from being downloaded. Try pausing or disabling the firewall as suggested.

well, right now I have disabled FW and HIPS, one at time. No result.

If I have to create new rule, I must know for which activity=program, which wants to dl those images. Do you know which one it is? I am not os expert, only simple user 😉

anyway thx for your kind suggestions

Edited by bluenite

The Win firewall has a default outbound firewall rule for LockScreen network traffic shown in the below screen shot. The app shown is most likely the one you have inadvertently blocked with one of your Eset interactive firewall rules:

Eset_LockScreen.thumb.png.ade8c899eb7e01f57272beecf19ab80f.png

Edited by itman

• Administrators

You can also try the following:
- uninstall ESET and reboot the machine
- make sure the issue doesn't manifest
- install ESET with default settings
- check if the issue occurs.

14 hours ago, bluenite said:

well, right now I have disabled FW and HIPS, one at time. No result.

If I have to create new rule, I must know for which activity=program, which wants to dl those images. Do you know which one it is? I am not os expert, only simple user 😉

anyway thx for your kind suggestions

I have a few questions,

What version of Windows 10 are you running?

here is what Microsoft has on the subject at hand

I would check this page first you will want to check how you have the lock screen in windows 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/windows-spotlight

Also Depending on which version of windows 10 your running check the following documentation for potentially blocked domains either by windows, ESET, or another security software.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/windows-endpoints-20h2-non-enterprise-editions

Which version of windows 10 are you using?

With that being said, do you have any other security software on your system?

6 hours ago, 0v3rS3eR said:

I have a few questions,

What version of Windows 10 are you running?

here is what Microsoft has on the subject at hand

I would check this page first you will want to check how you have the lock screen in windows 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/windows-spotlight

Also Depending on which version of windows 10 your running check the following documentation for potentially blocked domains either by windows, ESET, or another security software.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/windows-endpoints-20h2-non-enterprise-editions

Which version of windows 10 are you using?

With that being said, do you have any other security software on your system?

Win10 version is 20H2 build19042.804

No other security sw have here.

19 hours ago, Marcos said:

You can also try the following:
- uninstall ESET and reboot the machine
- make sure the issue doesn't manifest
- install ESET with default settings
- check if the issue occurs.

yes exactly this i did, uninstalled eis, spotlight normally went on, installed (again 30 day trial version), default settings with interactive fw, does this issue

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, bluenite said:

yes exactly this i did, uninstalled eis, spotlight normally went on, installed (again 30 day trial version), default settings with interactive fw, does this issue

Interactive firewall mode is not set by default. We asked to reproduce the issue with default settings, ie. with automatic firewall mode and no custom firewall rules.

I will post this as a FYI.

There have been numerous postings in the forum in regards to Win 10 Store and System apps issues when Eset Interactive firewall mode is used. This is because each time one of these apps are updated which is frequently, the app program name changes. This results in any prior firewall rule for the app no longer being valid.

My advice is to set Eset firewall to Automatic mode which will allow all outbound Internet traffic. Then manually create outbound firewall rules for select processes when monitoring is desired.

• Solution
6 hours ago, itman said:

I will post this as a FYI.

There have been numerous postings in the forum in regards to Win 10 Store and System apps issues when Eset Interactive firewall mode is used. This is because each time one of these apps are updated which is frequently, the app program name changes. This results in any prior firewall rule for the app no longer being valid.

My advice is to set Eset firewall to Automatic mode which will allow all outbound Internet traffic. Then manually create outbound firewall rules for select processes when monitoring is desired.

ok, I'll do as you suggest - Automatic mode.

thx to all gentlemen.