Mobile Anti-Virus "Not Needed"

The Google lead engineer for Android security has apparently declared that security software products for Android are "unnecessary" and that those who use such a product will likely receive no protection from it.

Of course this can't be regarded as an unbiased view.

Thats the biggest load of false information i have ever seen. He should be fired. Its also a very funny read.

The Play store is not the only source for apps.

Malware can come from email, websites, sms, and many other places. He needs to get his head out of the app store.

What about Simplocker?

Thanks for sharing bean. Put me to bed laughing.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

You may wish to review the following ESET presentations (hosted offsite at BrightTALK):

Also, the following articles (and subsequent comments on them) on tech news site Neowin might be of interest as well:In a nutshell, while Android devices have nowhere near the kind of the malware problem currently seen on Windows, they are following a growth pattern similar to that seen on Windows.  There is also a significant amount of what we would term Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUAs) on Android; a kind of software which usually goes absent when Google discusses Android's threatscape.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

There is also a significant amount of what we would term Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUAs) on Android; a kind of software which usually goes absent when Google discusses Android's threatscape.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yeah I got a flashback to the era when Apple claimed OS X was more or less "immune" to malware so it was nothing to discuss, but they fortunately don't say that anymore wich is good.  :)