Question about detection engine

Just now, Purpleroses said:

I don't know how to do this troubleshooting  that marco wanted me to do

I uploaded the logs. It would probably be helpful if you could also ... but let's wait and see what he says. They may have everything they need from my logs. I am pretty confident it's the same issue for both of us. As I detailed, not only am I seeing this on three Win10 systems, I am seeing the same update-issue with Mobile Security on my Android device, regardless of whether I am connected to my LAN or mobile/4G. It's almost certainly an issue at ESET's end. @Marcos

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

I will try to get help with sending them

It seems you've removed the logs that you previously uploaded.

@Marcos ... Just to reiterate / make clear:

• The issue is impacting Mobile Security on Android also (Pixel 3 on Verizon Wireless). The definition on my phone is 14990. The latest definition according to Virus Radar is 14993. Clicking update in the app throws no errors, and continues to state that '14990' is the latest version. I have tried updating using my home LAN and Verizon's 4G network with the same results. So the issue is absolutely not at my end.
  • This is the same behavior I am seeing on my three Windows 10 systems. 

This is an issue at ESET's end.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, howardagoldberg said:

I did no such thing. But here there are again ...

I replied to Purpleroses who has ESET Internet Security and therefore could create and provide a log with the network communication captured.

Why is that I posted my logs and when I click on it says opening eis_logs.zip a screen pops up and says do you want to open it with firefox or save.  So can anyone see that information about my logs

Just now, Purpleroses said:

Why is that I posted my logs and when I click on it says opening eis_logs.zip a screen pops up and says do you want to open it with firefox or save.  So can anyone see that information about my logs

I suspect this is because you posted it. To everyone else, it shows unavailable,

5 minutes ago, itman said:

Here in the U.S., I am also sitting at ver. 23048. I haven't had an update since 9:27 AM EST.

Might be an issue w/Eset relay servers in North America.

Thank you @itman. @Marcos ... I think we can feel secure in saying this is an ESET issue, not an issue for an individual system/locale.

Edited by howardagoldberg

• Administrators

We're on it. One of the reasons seems to be that two bigger batches of a bigger translator module were released today.

• Administrators

There was a problem with servers in 2 data centers, one of them being in the US. The remaining ones have been working properly so it's possible that update would eventually succeed. We expect the issue to be fixed within a few minutes.

Thank you for your cooperation and providing logs. We apologize for the inconvenience.

21 minutes ago, Marcos said:

There was a problem with servers in 2 data centers, one of them being in the US. The remaining ones have been working properly so it's possible that update would eventually succeed. We expect the issue to be fixed within a few minutes.

Thank you for your cooperation and providing logs. We apologize for the inconvenience.

@Marcos I realize it's only been 20 mins since you posted, but updates are not coming through as of yet - just as a FYI.

I also want to add: I know that in forums such as these, it's easy to just assume user-error. But over three hours ago, I provided pretty solid evidence that it was not just @Purpleroses that was having an issue - and it felt a bit like it was assumed 'we were wrong' until proven otherwise. It's not that I mind running logging and uploading when the issue is hard to track down, but this was clearly a pretty significant issue that was impacting a good number of users. Perhaps next time, ESET will take the time to research issues at their end before putting the onus on the user (some of whom are not, and have no reason to be, savvy with technology).

Thank you for looking into this. It is appreciated!

• Administrators

Actually you were the only ones who reported the issue. My ESET has been updating fine throughout the whole day. We didn't receive any reports of update issues from any of our partners around the world and ESET LLC had no reports of it either. It was therefore normal to assume that the issue was not global. If more users reported it here or if we had received reports from other channels, I would not have assumed that others were not affected.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Actually you were the only ones who reported the issue. My ESET has been updating fine throughout the whole day. We didn't receive any reports of update issues from any of our partners around the world and ESET LLC had no reports of it either. It was therefore normal to assume that the issue was not global. If more users reported it here or if we had received reports from other channels, I would not have assumed that others were not affected.

@Marcos Respectfully ... we may have been the only ones reporting it to you. But there was ample evidence to demonstrate it was not a local issue:

• After seeing the post, I tested on my systems and found the same issue present (original poster from Canada, and I in the United States)
  • I confirmed the issue on three Windows computers, and an Android device, on which ...
  • I tested against my home LAN and Verizon's 4G network

Also, the fact that a definition, etc. update issue was presenting on both the desktop and mobile clients was a near 100% indication of a server-side issue.

At that point, it really should not have mattered how many were reporting it. It was clearly not a local issue that could be resolved by an end-user.

That's all I am saying - at a certain point. ESET staff should check on their own backend systems before asking users to run diagnostics, send logs, etc.

• ESET Insiders

I know that here in Australia, I hadn't had an update from 23048 to 23049 for around six hours when I turned my PC off for the night.

At that stage, 23049 had been listed at Virus Radar for quite some time. So I definitely think this was more wide spread than ESET realized.

I noticed my computer has not updated since 10:20 am.  I know I'm on 23081.  Should I need to worry about anything?  I'm not getting any error when clicking on look for updates.

Edited by Purpleroses

11 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

I noticed my computer has not updated since 10:20 am.  I know I'm on 23081.  Should I need to worry about anything?  I'm not getting any error when clicking on look for updates.

@Marcos Virus Radar shows latest def file is 23082. I am also not seeing updates (still on 23081), even when checking manually. Might you see if there is a sever issue once again? Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

In my case, last update was 10:41 AM EST. However, it is not unusual for me to receive updates in the 4 - 5 hour range. I also have Eset's update task set to check every 30 mins..

I really believe you're worrying unnecessarily about this update issue.

Edited by itman

4 minutes ago, itman said:

In my case, last update was 10:41 AM EST. However, it is not unusual for me to receive updates in the 4 - 5 hour range. I also have Eset's update task set to check every 30 mins..

I really believe you're worrying unnecessarily about this update issue.

I also have my update interval set to 30 mins. The def update to 23802 was issued over an hour ago. It's been 4+ hours since I received the update to 23801.

I am not 'worried,' but based on the fact that last week when this happened, it took a bit of time for ESET to acknowledge there was an issue at their end, I see no reason why asking for them to check to see if something is again amiss is anything but being a good 'citizen.' 🙂 

And if I had to bet, I would wager there is another server issue, and better to catch it early than let it linger.

16 minutes ago, howardagoldberg said:

I also have my update interval set to 30 mins. The def update to 23802 was issued over an hour ago. It's been 4+ hours since I received the update to 23801.

I am not 'worried,' but based on the fact that last week when this happened, it took a bit of time for ESET to acknowledge there was an issue at their end, I see no reason why asking for them to check to see if something is again amiss is anything but being a good 'citizen.' 🙂 

And if I had to bet, I would wager there is another server issue, and better to catch it early than let it linger.

And I now can confirm the issue is also impacting Mobile Security on Android. I am 'stuck' on 15011, while the current def version is 15013. Manual update does not throw error, but no new def is downloaded.

If it talks like a server issue, and walks like a server issue, it's probably a server issue ...

@Marcos