No network access between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 machine

Go to solution Solved by RenéM,

Hello everyone.

I'm new with Eset Smart Security and have just purchased licenses to my 3 machines.

Everything works as expected, except I can't get network access to my Windows 8.1 machine from my Windows 7, but no problems when I connect to my second Windows 7 machine.

As I often move files from one computer to another, I hope there is a user who knows the solution so I can get back in touch with my Windows 8.1 machine which I had no problems with before I switched to Eset.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for my bad English :-)

Make sure in your firewall settings, you are not blocking SMB traffic in the trusted zone. You may want to make sure that both machines are in the same LAN and configured for trusted zone.

I have now found out that the network works if I disconect the LAN cable and turn on Wi-Fi instead.

Once again I disable Wi-Fi and connect the LAN cable, so ends the connection.

It works with wireless connection but not with wired LAN connection.

Can this information help?

When you switch adapters you are essentially using a new IP, a new network profile, and also a new mac address.

So when you installed Smart Security you must have selected the wrong profile, which placed the wrong subnet in trusted zone, or marked your connection as public vs private.

Any one of these could be the problem.

I would suggest clicking F5 from the main menu, then drill down to Network > Personal Firewall > Rules and Zones, then click the Setup button under Trusted Zone.

Choose Allow Sharing or switch from public to private.

Do all this while plugged into LAN, not wireless.

If this doesn't help i would just reinstall Smart Security and pay close attention to the prompts when it gets finished and begins to integrate with your network using the drivers.

If you rather not go through the setup process, please call customer care for remote assistance by phone.

When you switch adapters you are essentially using a new IP, a new network profile, and also a new mac address.

So when you installed Smart Security you must have selected the wrong profile, which placed the wrong subnet in trusted zone, or marked your connection as public vs private.

Any one of these could be the problem.

I would suggest clicking F5 from the main menu, then drill down to Network > Personal Firewall > Rules and Zones, then click the Setup button under Trusted Zone.

Choose Allow Sharing or switch from public to private.

Do all this while plugged into LAN, not wireless.

If this doesn't help i would just reinstall Smart Security and pay close attention to the prompts when it gets finished and begins to integrate with your network using the drivers.

If you rather not go through the setup process, please call customer care for remote assistance by phone.

Hello Arakasi

Thank you for your interest in my problem and the comprehensive explanation.

I have uninstalled the network connection on my Windows 8 machine and created a new - and it works now.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Excellent news, thanks for reaching out again to let us know you are good to go, could you mark this thread as solved ?

Much appreciated and glad to help you. :)

• Solution

Excellent news, thanks for reaching out again to let us know you are good to go, could you mark this thread as solved ?

Much appreciated and glad to help you. :)

Yes,I can mark this thread as solved!

Edited by RenéM