Windows Installer failed to proceed when "Scan On - File Open" is turned ON

Nono

We're using ESET PROTECT:

ESET PROTECT (Server), Version 8.0 (8.0.2216.0)
ESET PROTECT (Web Console), Version 8.0 (8.0.175.0)

with Client version: 

ESET Endpoint Security 8.0.2028.0
ESET Management Agent  8.0.1238.0

We have two sets of policies, one with Scan On > File Open is ENABLED and the other where it is DISABLED :

image.png.619f5ec2330404aded27771b5dbde5f3.png

On all the computer that have the feature ENABLED, it seems that Windows Installer failed to proceed. It simply hang forever.

As soon as the feature is disabled, re-starting the windows installer succeed.

I can reproduce the issue with two (private aka unsharable) .msi but can't seems to find any logs to troubleshoot the issue.

Would it be possible to know how can I deal with such issue ?

AKA: got some logs somewhere and understand why this feature blocks the installations ?

• Administrators

What msi installer are you referring to? Note that disabling scan on open is not recommended as may allow malware to run undetected.

The fact that we DISABLE it (only on specific computer is intended).

I ran the issue with the latest version of Dell Command Update (the software to update the firmware on DELL computers) : https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER06231658M/1/Dell-Command-Update-Application-for-Windows-10_34T96_WIN_3.1.2_A00.EXE

Everything runs normally until the "real" copy & installation phase.

• Administrators

No problems here installing the above update with default settings. Could you provide a video as well as a Procmon log from installation?

Beforehand please make sure to temporarily disable Protected service in the HIPS setup and reboot the machine.