Jump to content

Permissive Firewall Rules & equi.exe (PID 8988)


Go to solution Solved by itman,

Recommended Posts

Hi. I'm using ESET Internet Security v 14.0.22.0 with Windows 10 v1909. Today I got a popup window from ESET, saying 

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\equi.exe (PID 8988) 

has been changed on my computer. It's asking me if I want to "disable permissive firewall rules?" or keep rules.

image.png.dcee229a11dadecce6f25b1fe27acf4a.png

I saw this thread below, but it's locked and from 2 years ago, so I can't add to it. 

 

Can someone please explain to me what is happening and how I should respond to this window?

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Do you use interactive firewall mode? Please post logs collected with ESET Log Collector so that we can check your ESET configuration.

Hi Marcos and thanks for your reply. I don't know what interactive firewall mode is. I just install ESET and let it do its thing. I did run an old version of Piriform Speccy this morning, (v1.31), and when ESET popped up to tell me it might be a problem, I said leave it be and let it run. Maybe that's what triggered this? I've never had it happen before, but I don't use Speccy all that much - usually I use Speedfan. At any rate, attached is the logfile for you. Thanks.

eis_logs.zip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Appears Piriform Speccy attempted or did modify the currently executing ver. of equi.exe. This is odd because equi.exe is only loaded when the Eset GUI is manually started.

Also there is no default firewall rule for equi.exe in ver. 14.0.22. The Application Modification alert appears to indicate that a rule for equi.exe is possibly attempting to be created.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, itman said:

Appears Piriform Speccy attempted or did modify the currently executing ver. of equi.exe. This is odd because equi.exe is only loaded when the Eset GUI is manually started.

Also there is no default firewall rule for equi.exe in ver. 14.0.22. The Application Modification alert appears to indicate that a rule for equi.exe is possibly attempting to be created.

Thanks for your reply itman.

Sorry,  but I still don't understand what to do. I have this ESET box sitting here, on top of all windows, waiting for me to make a selection:

"Disable permissive firewall rules?":      Disable Rules or Keep Rules

Or, I could also select a box which says "Keep rules and remember setting for this application"

What should I select please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Solution
2 minutes ago, simrick said:

I have this ESET box sitting here, on top of all windows, waiting for me to make a selection:

"Disable permissive firewall rules?":      Disable Rules or Keep Rules

Select Disable permissive firewall rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, itman said:

Select Disable permissive firewall rules.

Thanks itman. Appreciate your help. I will Disable. Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now I get this. Seems Speccy is a problem now, even though it's an old version.

image.png.c6b6077079c775f7ddd545813eb1846b.png

 

I will "Clean" unless I hear otherwise. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, simrick said:

Seems Speccy is a problem now, even though it's an old version.

Eset appears to be detecting CPU-Z driver as a Potentially Unwanted Application; i.e. PUA. Appears Speccy has the utility embedded in it.

It's your decision as to whether you want to create an exclusion for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...