Upgrade ESET Security Management Center 7.2 to the latest ESET PROTECT 8

Go to solution Solved by Saifuddinit,

which is best way to upgrade ESMC (7.2 to 8 ), manually or though ESMC console client task  ?, I try manually yesterday its not happen and without any error stop

• Administrators

Either way should work. You can either send an ESMC components upgrade task to the server or run the AiO installer manually to upgrade all components (ie. including those that are not updated via the task, such as Tomcat).

As usual, we recommend backing up the db and export CA and peer certificates first.

I'm having a serious issue upgrading from ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.0 (7.0.577.0) to the latest ESET PROTECT 8.X

I've run the update via a manual task (Security management Center Components Upgrade) and via the update notification in the help menu, Both tasks end up showing complete in the tasks (green bar) but I'm still sitting on the same 7.X version as shown above.

On top of this, I can not get ANY workstation installations to activate. I think the problem is they are on 8.x and trying to activate against the Management Center which is stuck at 7.x

Thank you for any help that can be provided. I have an open ticket with support, but they are not getting back to me so I figured I'd post here as well.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jpotrz said:

I've run the update via a manual task (Security management Center Components Upgrade) and via the update notification in the help menu, Both tasks end up showing complete in the tasks (green bar) but I'm still sitting on the same 7.X version as shown above.

Do you use a virtual appliance or you've installed ESMC on a Windows or Linux server? Not sure why upgrade via the ESMC components upgrade task would fail, maybe somebody better versed will be able to help. However, if you have installed ESMC on Windows, you could run the ESET PROTECT AiO installer to upgrade ESMC and all its components.

ESMC is running on a Win2016 VM on a Win2019 host.

I tried running the AIO installer and that errors out .

Still waiting on my ticket to be responded to, I guess.

• ESET Staff
2 hours ago, jpotrz said:

I'm having a serious issue upgrading from ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.0 (7.0.577.0) to the latest ESET PROTECT 8.X

On top of this, I can not get ANY workstation installations to activate. I think the problem is they are on 8.x and trying to activate against the Management Center which is stuck at 7.x

Thank you for any help that can be provided. I have an open ticket with support, but they are not getting back to me so I figured I'd post here as well.

Would it be possible to enable full trace logging on ESET Management Agent installed on the same machine as your ESMC server, re-execute upgrade task on this "client" and attache those logs. From provided details it seems that AGENT fails to find updates for your ESMC, which might be caused by some dependency (version of operating system, version of database) or possible even by network issues or miss-configuration.
There is also possibility configuration on our side is not correct, but we had not received similar report since ESET PROTECT 8.0 release...

Actually I think I just figured it out.

I tried running the stand alone Server_x64.exe upgrade. And I got to the point where it prompts you for the database info and credentials. I entered that (or what I think they are) and it came back that the database version is not supported. I checked and PROTECT supports MS SQL 2012 and up. Sadly, I'm still stuck on MS SQL 2008 R2. So I'm almost positive that must be the issue. And I doubt there's any (easy) way to migrate ESET to it's own local DB.

• ESET Staff
22 hours ago, jpotrz said:

Actually I think I just figured it out.

I tried running the stand alone Server_x64.exe upgrade. And I got to the point where it prompts you for the database info and credentials. I entered that (or what I think they are) and it came back that the database version is not supported. I checked and PROTECT supports MS SQL 2012 and up. Sadly, I'm still stuck on MS SQL 2008 R2. So I'm almost positive that must be the issue. And I doubt there's any (easy) way to migrate ESET to it's own local DB.

Is there any other limitation, for example operating system version, that prevent you from installing newer SQL Server database version? There are various DB upgrade and migration scenarios described in documentation: https://help.eset.com /protect_install/80/en-US/?db_migration.html and it is definitely recommended to upgrade from SQL Server 2008, which is long (very long) out of support.

Also note that all-in-one installer for ESET PROTECT 8.0 does support upgrade not only of product itself, but also upgrade of database server, in case minimal requirements for SQLServer 2019 is met by your operating system.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:28 AM, Saifuddinit said:

You mean that reason manual setup not work because of ESMC Management Server service running

thanks it is working fine everything is ok