Jump to content

Networkcard/Ethernet issue


Go to solution Solved by elle,

Recommended Posts

Windows 10 Pro (latest update 2021-01-20) 
ESET Internet Security (latest update 2021-01-20)  

I always inactivate Ethernet when not using internet and active when using internet.  
After inactivate and wanting to activate I have to uninstall then re-install Networkcard in order to be able to activate. 

Also this I don't understand. 
--> Setup--> Advanced setup--> Network protection--> Known networks--> Edit 
How can I configure ESET to not add "home" "home 2" VPN is "Virtual network" etc.?  
The list just adds them up and up... how can I prevent this from happening? 
I know I'm doing something wrong but what? 
I'm new to Win10 coming from 10 years with Win7 Ultimate so all this is new to me. 
Had no issues what-so-ever with Win7. 
Any input is much appreciated.  

Thanks and best regards, 
elle
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, elle said:

I always inactivate Ethernet when not using internet and active when using internet.  

Are you disabling the Ethernet network connection as noted below?

Quote

To disable an Ethernet connection, right-click it and select Disable from the context menu. You will need Administrative rights to disable an Ethernet connection.

disable-ethernet-connection.jpg

 

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/disable-an-ethernet-connection-windows-10/

Edited by itman
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Most Valued Members
On 1/20/2021 at 11:01 AM, elle said:

Windows 10 Pro (latest update 2021-01-20) 
ESET Internet Security (latest update 2021-01-20)  

I always inactivate Ethernet when not using internet and active when using internet.  
After inactivate and wanting to activate I have to uninstall then re-install Networkcard in order to be able to activate. 

Also this I don't understand. 
--> Setup--> Advanced setup--> Network protection--> Known networks--> Edit 
How can I configure ESET to not add "home" "home 2" VPN is "Virtual network" etc.?  
The list just adds them up and up... how can I prevent this from happening? 
I know I'm doing something wrong but what? 
I'm new to Win10 coming from 10 years with Win7 Ultimate so all this is new to me. 
Had no issues what-so-ever with Win7. 
Any input is much appreciated.  

Thanks and best regards, 
elle
 

You can also block internet activity through ESET Firewall

Or have the best way , unplug the cable :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

@itman

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Exactly! That is what I do!
ethernet shortcut on desktop -> rightclick -> open filepath -> activate/deactivate ethernet
Is it possible to config ESET to not add a new network connection as I earlier described? 
The list gets longer than my arm if I don't remove/cleanup them. 
Not a big problem but a little annoying...
Also for reasons unknown after sometime the ethernet shortcut gets corrupt (path not found) and I have to create a new shortcut. 

Thanks and best regards, 
elle

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Most Valued Members
6 minutes ago, elle said:

@Nightowl

Of course... unplug the cable... not an option. 😐

I am just joking ;) , but you can go ahead with ITman's method , which is disabling the Internet Adapter from Windows

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nightowl said:

I am just joking ;) , but you can go ahead with ITman's method , which is disabling the Internet Adapter from Windows

I know you're joking. :D 

That's what I do activating/deactivating ethernet, but how to solve ESET adding up the list of known networks?

Edited by elle
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

You have only 4 networks in the list out of which 2 are virtual. So not an issue like with thousands of networks being continually detected and added to the list.

You can provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector to find out what the networks are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Marcos

OK! Got the logcollector. 
So how do I use it?Should I let the <Known network> list pile up to 10 or something before running it? 
Should I have ethernet activated or deactivated?
Do the logcollector collect info from HDD (C:) OS drive only? 
I have a ton of other HDD drives connected...
Also is this issue known, do other users have the same <Known network> list pile up? 
Those who read this thread please let me/us know. 

Thanks and best regards, 
elle

Edited by elle
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Solution

I believe I now can say the issue is solved. 
The culprit is the VPN which after activating adds to list Known network, both Virtual network and home 2. 
I can live with that. 
No need for my old logs... 

Stay safe and healthy!
Thanks and best regards, 
elle

logs.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...