VSD 9999

SweX

We already reached it (now?):

hxxp://www.virusradar.com/en/update/info/10000

Let's celebrate! ;):D

Yes just got it.  :D

Still showing VSD 9999 here but it will catch up soon It is correct now: hxxp://www.eset.com/us/threat-center/threatsense-updates/

During the last year (or so) the VSD releases per day have gone up to 4-6 on average during the week days from 3-4 VSD's on average per day couple years ago. So that have clearly "helped" reaching 10000 faster as well.

On 01/01/2014 we were on VSD 9237.....so it have gone quite fast to reach 10000!

Edited by SweX

Now also from me:

Congratulation ESET! I hope you will reach 20000 soon!

But pictures say more than thousand words...

post-3952-0-47884500-1403727963_thumb.jpg

post-3952-0-34924800-1403729508_thumb.jpg

Edited by rugk

Very nice image rugk

Thanks! But: *images ;)  :D

Edit: Now I had improved the second picture a bit...

Edited by rugk

I could be wrong, but I think ESET released more than 10000 signatures. I think their numbering system changed several years ago.

I assume you mean from the very first VSD like way back when the company was founded? Then yes I think so too. But the VSD version have never reached 10000 at any point before during the time I have used ESET.

Maybe it's best to clarify for others. This is not 10000 signatures, it is 10000 virus signature database (VSD) releases.

Edited by SweX

I assume you mean from the very first VSD like way back when the company was founded? Then yes I think so too. But the VSD version have never reached 10000 at any point before during the time I have used ESET.

Maybe it's best to clarify for others. This is not 10000 signatures, it is 10000 virus signature database (VSD) releases.

even then, that statement may not be correct. I think the vsd started with the number 1000. so it may only be 9000.

even then, that statement may not be correct. I think the vsd started with the number 1000. so it may only be 9000.

I checked on VirusRadar webpage and it looks like the first VSD had number 1281 from 2002-07-09? Here is a link: hxxp://www.virusradar.com/en/update/info/1281

I checked on VirusRadar webpage and it looks like the first VSD had number 1281 from 2002-07-09? Here is a link: hxxp://www.virusradar.com/en/update/info/1281

Look here: hxxp://www.eset.com/us/threat-center/threatsense-updates/page/1799/

NOD32 - v.1.1000 (February 16, 2005)

Also here the latest number is 9999 at the moment: hxxp://www.eset.com/us/threat-center/threatsense-updates/

So it seems there are problems to show the 5 digit updates on the webpage.

Here the latest number is 10002: hxxp://www.virusradar.com/en/update/info/

but 10000 and 10001 are missing.

Edit: now it's complete.

hxxp://www.eset.com/us/threat-center/threatsense-updates/ still ends with 9999.

Edited by User

On this page we get the change in numbering: hxxp://www.eset.com/us/threat-center/threatsense-updates/page/1628/

Version 1.1859 is followed by 1860 (without 1. at beginning). New updates 10000+ are squeezed in between. 

Yah the dates are all messed up. Someone at ESET needs to take a look at that.

Not sure if that is the first one. 

In 1998, ESET introduced NOD32 1.0 for Windows, with version 2.0 following in 2003

And before that there was a NOD even for msdos.

It's possible the VSD numbers have changed a couple of times like when they changes something in the database, or started using a new database, engine, or similar.

Like here on page 1628, one can notice a clear difference, but why the dates are so far from each other on the same page I don't know.

Between

v.1860 (November 9, 2006)

v.1.1188 (August 8, 2005)

hxxp://www.eset.com/us/threat-center/threatsense-updates/page/1628/ (it has changed since the post)

The (1.xx) is no longer used.

Clearly it is not in order at all, here on page 1800 the last VSD is from Nov 8 2006 (the day before they stopped using 1.xxx as seen in the link above)

And here one can read "changes in existing signatures" (scroll down) and again the dates is not in order.

So I think one can say that "changes" to the database, sigs, etc.. have probably happened several times through the years so it's quite impossible to figure it out by going back in time using online sources. And that it most likely didn't go from VSD (1) to (10000) without jumping back and forth in the numbers when changes were made.

But ok if I would take a wild guess, then my bet would be that it have gone from v.1860 (November 9, 2006) straight up to VSD 10000. 

Cheers.  :)
Edited by SweX

Hi Swex. I agree with you about changing numbering. We can't be sure how many definitions updates was released. 

The link that you posted (hxxp://www.eset.com/us/threat-center/threatsense-updates/page/1628) has changed from this morning. I guess they are fixing version numbering. As I described in post #17 there was jump from 1.1859 to 1860 (without 1.). In between there were listed updates from yesterday and today (10000 - 10004). I guess that they tried to fix this and somehow "removed" updates for whole year (from 1.1188 to 1860 there is 671 numbers missing).

About the oldest update - version 1281 was the oldest that I found. It is from year 2002 which is 4 years before all that numbering change happened. But there might be some other changes also, so I can't be sure how to get to the oldest VDF.

Edited by hqsec

Hi Swex. I agree with you about changing numbering. We can't be sure how many definitions updates was released. 

The link that you posted (hxxp://www.eset.com/us/threat-center/threatsense-updates/page/1628) has changed from this morning. I guess they are fixing version numbering. As I described in post #17 there was jump from 1.1859 to 1860 (without 1.). In between there were listed updates from yesterday and today (10000 - 10004). I guess that they tried to fix this and somehow "removed" updates for whole year (from 1.1188 to 1860 there is 671 numbers missing).

About the oldest update - version 1281 was the oldest that I found. It is from year 2002 which is 4 years before all that numbering change happened. But there might be some other changes also, so I can't be sure how to get to the oldest VDF.

Hi hqsec. Ahh sorry I missed that in post #17.

Yes page 1628 has indeed changed. Yeah maybe they are sorting them out and putting them in order or something.

Yes it's rather impossibe to figure this whole VSD chain out but it doesn't really matter in the end. Even if it is fun to know the history ;)

But in anycase, with the current VSD "numbering system" we are at 10000+ so I guess we could just take it for what it is.   B)

Edited by SweX

I digged deeper and found 1204 :hxxp://www.virusradar.com/en/update/info/1204

That is the oldest VSD information I could find on VirusRadar at the moment.  :)