invalid configuration - unfindable / no details

Go to solution Solved by MichalJ,

I'm currently migrating my user from ESET Endpoint Security 7 to 8, following my upgrade from ESMC to ESET Protect.

I'm receiving quite some emails, always with the same extra frustrating email

At least one of the client tasks in your ESET management server has invalid configuration, and therefore will fail.

Please log-in to your ESET PROTECT for more details.

Why frustrating ? All the markers are green, and I can't see ANY details regarding this "invalid configuration".

As far as I remember (v6 or prior), it was always the case that 'a configuration' failed ... But it's nowhere written where / how etc ..

This seems to be a severe lack of information for the administrator trying to figure out (and want to fix) the issue.

Would it be possible to write directly on the notification WHAT is failing and for WHICH user/computer ?

I assume that if an error is catch, it's quite easy to know the source/cause of it.

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

Hello @Nono this particular notification means, that one of your client tasks (as shown on the "tasks" screen) in ESET Protect server, has invalid configuration (references invalid repository package, expired license, or non-existing computer). You can easily identify such task, by using filter "is valid" in this particular screen (invalidated items, are highlighted in yellow color, and the same logic is used in other screens, like installers / certificates / notifications ...) : 

is valid.jpg

Edited by MichalJ

Thanks @MichalJ

Indeed, I found the "configuration" which is more a "task" to me. The Question / suggestion was more :

Why the notification send multiple time "configuration failed", when it could easily say

The Client Task "Install EES" failed

And with eventually the information "Because XXXXX".

• ESET Staff

Notification was configured to be generic, and just drive the attention to the existence of a problem, not a particular problem. I do agree, that it would be better, if we would reference a particular task entry (or entries, in case there are multiple invalid items), and try to list the reasons for the issue. I will report this to our product managers, so they can track an improvement towards future versions. 

Please note that it does not say "configuration failed", but that "one of the tasks has invalid configuration and will fail / won´t be executed".

15 minutes ago, MichalJ said:

Please note that it does not say "configuration failed", but that "one of the tasks has invalid configuration and will fail / won´t be executed".

Correct, and that's quite fair.