Delayed task execution

DESCRIPTION: Offer options to delay task after computer starts or user logon under "Task timing" in ESET Internet Security Scheduler

DETAILS: It appears to me that when ESET Internet Security performs an update or startup scan, it takes over the Internet connection and does not allow other programs to connect with the Internet. This causes an impossible situation when I resume Windows from hibernation. From what I see on the Taskbar, it looks like the computer is trying to connect to the Internet, and my VPN is trying to connect to the VPN server, but neither can happen because ESET is busy trying to download updates and/or perform a startup scan. But ESET cannot download updates because the computer is not connecting to the Internet, and the VPN is not connecting. And the computer and VPN cannot connect, because ESET is trying to update and/or perform the scan. I have arrived at the office just in time for a video conference, but I cannot do my work because these processes are battling for control of my computer. At least that is how it appears, because if I stop the attempted update or the scan, then connections to the Internet and VPN can proceed. Later, I can initiate a scan and update manually.

I would like the options to schedule a startup scan and update "5 minutes after every time computer starts" and "5 minutes after user logon". That would allow time for the computer to connect to the Internet and VPN server.

I may well be incorrect in my speculation as to what is happening "under the hood". All I know is that it is frustrating not being able to get to work because ESET is trying unsuccessfully to update, and the startup scan also seems to stop me from connecting.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, chileverde said:

DESCRIPTION: Offer options to delay task after computer starts or user logon under "Task timing" in ESET Internet Security Scheduler

DETAILS: It appears to me that when ESET Internet Security performs an update or startup scan, it takes over the Internet connection and does not allow other programs to connect with the Internet. This causes an impossible situation when I resume Windows from hibernation. From what I see on the Taskbar, it looks like the computer is trying to connect to t......

you can modify the default scheduled tasks to suit your needs and restore them to their default state in case you change your mind.
in fact eset doesn't prevent the computer or other programs to connect to the internet while the program is downloading definition updates or perform a startup scan, etc.

this must be a problem with the windows network settings, your network card or some other factor. my first eset product was nod32 v2.x back in 2007. it has never prevented my pc to connect to the internet when it was resuming from a cold boot or sleep/hibernation.

Edited by shocked

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 7:46 PM, shocked said:

you can modify the default scheduled tasks to suit your needs and restore them to their default state in case you change your mind.
in fact eset doesn't prevent the computer or other programs to connect to the internet while the program is downloading definition updates or perform a startup scan, etc.

this must be a problem with the windows network settings, your network card or some other factor. my first eset product was nod32 v2.x back in 2007. it has never prevented my pc to connect to the internet when it was resuming from a cold boot or sleep/hibernation.

@shocked,

Thanks for your reply, which I just found. (I thought I would get an email notification.)

I have had the problem I described for several years, on different laptops. It has not happened since my post, probably since I disabled System startup file check.

What I didn't understand about your post is this: "you can modify the default scheduled tasks to suit your needs". But I cannot find a way to set up the System startup file check to run 5 minutes after I start my system. There is a drop-down menu with choices such as User logon, Every time computer starts, and The first time the computer starts each day. I do not see a way to specify a delay.

However, your reply prompted me to look again at setup options. While I cannot find a way to configure ESET to run the System startup file check 5 minutes after a triggering event, I can set it for a time in the middle of the day. That's better than not running it at all.

I also found another possible solution, which is to go back to having it run after User logon, but changing scan priority from Lowest to When idle.

BTW the default target setting appears to be "Files run after user logon". Do you recommend this setting or another one?

On 12/9/2020 at 7:50 PM, chileverde said:

DETAILS: It appears to me that when ESET Internet Security performs an update or startup scan, it takes over the Internet connection and does not allow other programs to connect with the Internet. This causes an impossible situation when I resume Windows from hibernation.

Do you actually mean resume from hibernation and not sleep mode?

I have no issues with any network base activity in regards to Eset when resuming from sleep mode. Also Win hibernation mode is used primarily on notebooks and laptops. 

If the issue is indeed related to resume from Win hibernation mode, I would open a support ticket with Eset so that the issue could be thoroughly checked out.   

1 hour ago, itman said:

Do you actually mean resume from hibernation and not sleep mode?

I have no issues with any network base activity in regards to Eset when resuming from sleep mode. Also Win hibernation mode is used primarily on notebooks and laptops. 

If the issue is indeed related to resume from Win hibernation mode, I would open a support ticket with Eset so that the issue could be thoroughly checked out.   

Yes, I mean hibernation. I have sleep disabled on my computers (all of which are laptops), because there is no BitLocker protection in sleep mode.

Thanks for suggesting a ticket, which I will consider. However, since I have noticed this delay with other computers, I'm not sure whether a ticket will be productive. Years ago, before I used a VPN, I noticed that I could not download email after just starting up my computer, until ESET had finished downloading updates. I wish someone from ESET would comment on whether ESET blocks other connections or downloads when it is performing certain tasks.

Edited by chileverde
clarification

56 minutes ago, chileverde said:

Yes, I mean hibernation. I have sleep disabled on my computers (all of which are laptops), because there is no BitLocker protection in sleep mode.

Eset has two startup scans. One occurs at user logon time. The other occurs after a module update. Neither is supposed to run if the device is being operated in battery mode. So if this applies to your laptop devices, the scans are not functioning properly.

I would strongly advise not fooling around with the scan that runs at user logon time. It is an integral Eset security mechanism.

Of note is if the device has been idle for some time, it is highly likely that the after module update scan will run almost immediately after the scan at user logon time. This is because a module update will occur most likely when the device is powered up. You might try to delay when this scan runs and see if that resolves your network issues.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 2:20 PM, itman said:

I would strongly advise not fooling around with the scan that runs at user logon time. It is an integral Eset security mechanism.

I discovered that I can set the startup scan to be run when the system is idle. I have not noticed much of the trouble I reported in recent weeks, even before I made this change. Since I cannot delay the startup scan be a set number of minutes, I am trying this approach, which is available.

The default scan target for the startup scan is "Files run after user logon". Should I leave this as is? Of course, I realize that setting the scan to be run when the system is idle means the scan will be run after the files have been run. Normally, does Eset scan these files before they are run?

18 hours ago, chileverde said:

The default scan target for the startup scan is "Files run after user logon". Should I leave this as is?

Yes.

18 hours ago, chileverde said:

Of course, I realize that setting the scan to be run when the system is idle means the scan will be run after the files have been run. Normally, does Eset scan these files before they are run?

Eset is just not scanning files at user logon time but also other system areas such as registry and WMI storage areas.

By delaying this startup scan, you have in effect nullified its intended security protection intent.

Eset scans some system areas and files early in the system startup phase. Examples are MFT, drivers, etc.