Eset SysRescue Disk questions

laur

Hi. I have made a bootable usb stick with eset sysrescue to have in case of problems.

I have some questions about it.

1) Do you provide automatic program version updates for it, like you do with the definitions?

2) Eset SysRescue Product version is 5. Is this the latest version?

(I know nod32 for windows is version 7 so I was wondering if the bootable

version can address all forms of threats that exist nowadays.)

3) Is this product actively maintained (i.e. future versions of sysrescue?), or would this

present version benefit from no upgrade in the future?

Thanks a lot. ;)

Edited by laur

• ESET Staff

Hi Laur,

There is actually a more recent version of SysRescue that has only been available for a short while. The disk that you created is still a great tool to restore your system if something should go wrong, but in the future we recommend that you use the new SysRescue Live product, which does receive virus signature database updates just like other ESET products. You can learn more about SysRescue Live by reading our Knowledgebase Article.

--CB

Thanks for the info.

Does the Eset Bootable tool use this more recent version?

Please do provide me here the link to the latest version once it

is formally released, if that would not be too much of a trouble :)..

Thanks.

Edited by laur

• ESET Staff

Sure, here it is. SysRescue Live doesn't work exactly the same as the older versions of SysRescue, so I hope that you will read the Knowledgebase article from my previous post because this new version is much easier to use once you know how to go about it. There is a link to the same file in the KB article.

--CB

I've reformatted my memory stick and created the bootable medium, but

it gives me an error after downloading the image (when "unpacking the iso").

Can you help me please?

post-4121-0-11415300-1403544608_thumb.png

• ESET Staff

I'm not sure if I understand. If you have already created the bootable medium, you don't need to create another disc. You should restart with the USB inserted and see if your computer will boot from the USB. Please let me know if there is a miscommunication here because i'm not sure that I have an accurate idea of your situation.

I'm not sure if I understand. If you have already created the bootable medium, you don't need to create another disc. You should restart with the USB inserted and see if your computer will boot from the USB. Please let me know if there is a miscommunication here because i'm not sure that I have an accurate idea of your situation.

This is what I did: I had the earlier version of (working) eset sysrescue on my USB. And since you've given me the link to the latest ESET USB creator, I've recreated the partition of my USB stick and  reformatted it. Then I ran the eset creation tool again. And after the program completed the progress of downloading the image, when it was due to write it on the stick, it issued that error window and stopped. I have a Kingston USB stick of 16 GB, so I don't think it is a problem with it, especially as it ran the previous version of the sysrescue disk fine.

Any suggestions please? :)

Edited by laur

• ESET Staff

I'm not sure why that might occur. I would suggest trying a different USB drive if possible, or reformatting the USB and starting over. There should be absolutely nothing on that USB drive when you create the new record.

I will try a full format on the usb (this might take some time) and retry creating the bootable rescue system with the sysrescue tool.

Maybe I should use Rufus to write the ISO on the USB stick if it fails again.

Edited by laur

I remember running into this same problem, but haven't the slightest idea how i fixed it.

Try logging in to the local admin account and run it.

I actually am on an admin account. I want to see if my drive is corrupt, so I will

perform a low-level format with a utility.

However, I doubt it will solve this error...

Edited by laur

Using an account that is a member of the admin workgroup is not the same as enabling the ACTUAL admin account which has more privileges, and using it.

Let us know how the format goes !! :)

Edited by Arakasi

It is in the process :)

However if this method doesn't work, I am out of ideas :)

Edited by laur

No, because the previous version worked; and the USB stick is new...

it's not a high chance that it could be broken.

However I cannot deny that this could just be a cause as well. Right now I

don't have another brand of USB stick to test it with, but I will consider it in

the future and see how it goes.

Maybe is there a kind person with a spare USB flashdrive and spare time willing

to test the bootable program for me ? ...and tell me how it goes :) . Just whoever

wants to.

Okay so according to my old thread, download a new copy of Sysrescue and try again, also move the USB to a different port.

Good luck.

Very strange....

I am trying again right now with the same stick and it has completed successfully...

All for the better ;)