Eset dns issues using nslookup, ping

I noticed a problem tonight on all my computers running eset internet security version 14.0.22.0 with the latest updates that ping nslookup are being partly blocked ipv6 works but I get dns time out for ipv4.

After a lot of messing around I tried my linux and work laptops that aren't running eset and they can do nslookups properly. I then rtemoved eset from one machine and that now does nslookups.

I'll try re-installing eset in a while after I done a virus scan with another tool just in case something has slipped through the net and it's not esets fault.

Everything was working fine yesterday so clearly an update at some point has broken something.

well thats was a fun few hours.

Eset removal from add remove programs didn't work

so downlaod the removal tool

rebooted into windows safe mode ran the uninstaller

rebooted and the windows loader was toast

boot of a usb stick to decrypt the volume

create a new windows 10 dvd as my usb stick that has windows died this week and haven't go round to replacing it

did the repair fix boot

re-installed eset and nslookup still works.

Hopefully an update will fix the other two over night otherwise another faff around as these are headless windows 10 installs and I remote into them.

I like eset normally give them ten out of ten but have to lose marks for having a poorly written uninstaller so down to 8 out of 10.

Time they fixed this as it's been a constant problem over the years and quiet a few times when eset has got confused followed by a borked uninstall and safe mode removal.

First time the bootloader got corrupted though.

• Most Valued Members
4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

rebooted into windows safe mode ran the uninstaller

rebooted and the windows loader was toast

are you suggesting that the eset removal tool broke the windows installation?
i highly doubt it because it's written specificlly to delete files/folders and registry keys related to ESET, nothing else.

the only thing it might "break" is the network adapter driver but that can be fixed easily. to be honest i've used that tool more than 50 times all these years and it never caused any issue to the installation or the network settings.

every time it did it's job smoothly.

Nah it's just bad luck that bit.

However having to use the tool 50 times shows work is needed in that area.

Can't remember how many times I've used it but it's in double figures.

You do realise next time you use it you'll corrupt the hard drive now you said it's job smoothly.

Edited by The PIT

• Most Valued Members

you misunderstood my words. "50 times" was an exaggeration. i prefer to use uninstallers whenever possible and if offered by the company so when i reinstall the program, i do it with completely clean settings.
i mainly use them if i deem the program doesn't work as intended, an update didn't complete successfully or if i plan to do some testing, etc.

the uninstallers work in the same way a normal uninstallation works, it scans and deletes the files it's meant to remove, it doesn't damage the hdd/ssd in any way.

• Administrators

By the way, installation and uninstallation is performed by Windows Installer which was created by Microsoft. Normally it works, problems can occur if the installation msi file has been removed or if the registry values pertaining to the installation have been removed or tampered with which is when the uninstall tool comes into play.

Great uninstalled on the other two machines. One went okay the other broken the windows loader again. Even better it hadn't come up off and was still installed and just re ran the setup process.

So removed again and this time it came off without breaking the windows loader.

Then to rub things in it decided the I had used the license to many times. To be fair I forgot to remove a couple of devices. However it also duplicated a couple as well so call it fifty fifty.

Marcos The msi hadn't been removed or tampered with and neither have the registry entries. Indeed the last machine it tried to trash just sits there and records the weather and has windows updates applied and does nothing else.

I never known it break the windows loader before but once okay twice indicated the problem.

I'm quite used to Eset refusing to come off properly but normally it just says when you try and re-install that it's still there. Until yesterday the uninstaller in safe mode never caused problems.

I'll use a third party uninstaller like revo next time.

It's annoying as I don't want to carry on my day job in the evening and over the weekend as well.

Anyway the original reason why I had to remove Eset the borked nslookup issue has now been resolved and now works properly.

I was recommending Eset as replacement for Sophos for macs at work I'm now having second thoughts about that.

What ver. of Windows was installed on devices with broken Win loader? Might be an issue with Eset safe mode uninstaller in latest Win 10 20H2 ver. for example. Was Secure Boot enabled on these devices, etc..?

Windows 20h2 fully patched and secure boot is not supported on one and off on the other two. All using gpt and uefi. One was bitlocked.

Two intel nuc's and one the other amd based 570 chipset.

One nuc just runs apache web server and nothing else. This one survived the ordeal.

The other just runs three weather programs some php to create graphs which get ftp's to the web server.

None of the machines are overclocked and nuc's are running the latest drivers and bios and the amd is one bios version behind at the moment but has the latest drivers.

7 hours ago, The PIT said:

Windows 20h2 fully patched

Since the problem is occurring on Win 20H2, there might be an issue with the Eset .msi in uninstall mode on that build. Something for Eset to checkout.

After all that another laptop which hasn't got eset on it has started doing the same thing. However all the machines that I took eset off and back on again are still working.

However the uninstaller issue is still relevant.

Now got tog et my head round as to why nslookup is acting strange.

I think of the router but then that should effect all windows, linux the same.

Log files aren't available as I hadn't reloaded the draytek logger after a reboot. Eset was also blocking it.