Dropbox can't establish secure internet connection

ESET updated today. Now Dropbox shows the following; "Dropbox can't establish secure internet connection". A Google search suggests this is an ESET issue and Dropbox agrees. But I have no clue how to fix it!

Any thoughts?

40 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please try the following:
- disable SSL filtering in the advanced setup and click OK
- re-enable SSL filtering

Same issue on all my work computers. All running updated Eset and Dropbox.

If I disable SSL : Dropbox App works

If I re-enable SSL : Dropbox App with not secure connection

If I used SSL interactive mode :  I tell Eset to allow "Dropbox" and it does not work (no secure connection)

If I turn off "HTTP Protocol Checking" : Dropbox App works  (but a terrible solution)

I Will be monitoring this thread to see if anything else works.  I suck at making system rules for firewall but I have been trying that as well.

Thank you

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Do you have all Dropbox executables set to Auto in the list of SSL/TLS filtered applications?

image.png

Yes and they are all set to 'Auto'

Change Dropbox executable's in list of SSL/TLS filtered applications Scan action from Auto to Scan and test to determine if that resolves the issue. If it doesn't resolve the issue, set Dropbox executable's Scan action to Ignore as a temporary resolution. 

Edited by itman

Hey itman!  

Ok, Setting the .exe files to "ignore" has worked.  I wish I understood more.  It seems like a compromisable work around but I wish I understood the cause a bit better.

Thank You

Hello, this exact problem happened to me as well and disabling SSL filtering completely fixed the issue. Once I turned SSL filtering back on, I got the same error message, "can't establish a secure connection".

Setting all dropbox executables to ignore in the filter list worked as well.

In my opinion, it's kinda odd that this issue is happening when all previous versions of dropbox connected fine.

Same problem here (Dropbox v111 - the lastest stable to the date). On the second computer, no problem with Dropbox v112 (early updates enabled).

It's apparently a problem on Dropbox side since they have release the version 112 fixing this issue:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-112-3-254/td-p/476277

If you cannot update to Dropbox version 112, you can temporarily set Dropbox client to ignore in SSL/TLS filter.

Hi.

How to

1) Setcthe .exe files to "ignore"

15 hours ago, mlhodel said:

Hey itman!  

Ok, Setting the .exe files to "ignore" has worked.  I wish I understood more.  It seems like a compromisable work around but I wish I understood the cause a bit better.

Thank You

2) set the SSL off

13 hours ago, philly1827 said:

Hello, this exact problem happened to me as well and disabling SSL filtering completely fixed the issue. Once I turned SSL filtering back on, I got the same error message, "can't establish a secure connection".

Setting all dropbox executables to ignore in the filter list worked as well.

In my opinion, it's kinda odd that this issue is happening when all previous versions of dropbox connected fine.

Thanks a lot.

13 hours ago, RJanata said:

Same problem here (Dropbox v111 - the lastest stable to the date). On the second computer, no problem with Dropbox v112 (early updates enabled).

It's apparently a problem on Dropbox side since they have release the version 112 fixing this issue:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-112-3-254/td-p/476277

If you cannot update to Dropbox version 112, you can temporarily set Dropbox client to ignore in SSL/TLS filter.

This worked for me (and was a whole lot easier than messing with ESET settings!)

Thanks so much RJ!

19 hours ago, RJanata said:

Same problem, and installing the new Dropbox version posted here fixed it!  So very much more helpful than Dropbox "must be ESET issue"

Thanks RJanata!!!

On 12/7/2020 at 3:07 PM, RJanata said:

This WORKED!!!! Thank you! You are a life saver <3 

On 12/6/2020 at 9:07 PM, RJanata said:

Thanks, @RJanata for this info!

Installing Dropbox desktop version 112 worked for me, too.
I could not find release notes for Dropbox's desktop version 112.
But, the Dropbox users in the Dropbox forum that Rjanata linked to (in quote above) believed that it was the install of Dropbox v111 that was the cause.

FYI-I'm running Eset 14.0.22.0 and Win10 x64 and had just completed Microsoft Win10 update KB4592428 the night before I had the problem. So thought it might be an Microsoft interaction. But, from looking at the Dropbox forum, it appears that the Dropbox version 111 was the problem.

I'm so glad that I found this thread. The issue with dropbox was driving me nuts.

simple dropbox update as suggested resolved the issue.

Thank you!!!

I downloaded and installed the beta version suggested by Rjanata (THANK YOU) and 140 files magically got syncrhonized. Wonder when this started. It is irresponsible of dropbox to not have updated this immediately and automatically.

This happened to me in, I think the last 24 hours (12/10/2020), on two Windows 10 Pro 64bit .

ESET version: ESET Internet Security 14.0.22.0

Dropbox Version 111.4.472

I'm glad I found this post, it seemed suspicious that two different machines would suddenly have the same issue. The computer time issue didn't make sense, nor were my computer's proxy settings wrong. ESET's

So, seemingly dumb question, how do I force the update of Dropbox? No obvious "check for updates button" that I can find.

UPDATE: Feel stupid for not Googling "force Dropbox to update", however, the readily accessible link on their site updated me to the same 111.4.472 version that doesn't work.

UPDATE 2: yes follow the link above will get you to the Dropbox beta release 112.3.254, it fixed this issue, thanks folks!

I was not aware of the beta release 112.3.254 existence until now, so I solved the issue as follows (on Win10):

- downloaded the previous version (the last one before 111.4.472);

- installed it (no need to uninstall the 111.4.472 before);

- immediately renamed the DropboxUpdate.exe file in Program Files (x86) —> Dropbox —> Update to DropboxUpdate.exe.old

Please note that the third step is mandatory because Dropbox will otherwise auto updates itself in a while to the non-working version. 

All works fine now. 

Edited by dancin

13 hours ago, dancin said:

I was not aware of the beta release 112.3.254 existence until now, so I solved the issue as follows (on Win10):

- downloaded the previous version (the last one before 111.4.472);

- installed it (no need to uninstall the 111.4.472 before);

- immediately renamed the DropboxUpdate.exe file in Program Files (x86) —> Dropbox —> Update to DropboxUpdate.exe.old

Please note that the third step is mandatory because Dropbox will otherwise auto updates itself in a while to the non-working version. 

All works fine now. 

This worked. I downloaded the latest Dropbox installer from dropbox.com and ran it without uninstalling my current application. While it was installing, I renamed the DropboxUpdate.exe file in Program Files (x86) to DropboxUpdate.exe.old and now my Dropbox in desktop is syncing fine. Thank you!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Elaine T said:

This worked. I downloaded the latest Dropbox installer from dropbox.com and ran it without uninstalling my current application. While it was installing, I renamed the DropboxUpdate.exe file in Program Files (x86) to DropboxUpdate.exe.old and now my Dropbox in desktop is syncing fine. Thank you!

As I have already said, Dropbox now works without the need to do anything.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, JCTC said:

I cannot find a setting that allows dropbox to establish the connection again. Please help!

Dropbox works automatically with ESET installed. I'd recommend:
- exporting your current settings
- uninstalling ESET and installing it from scratch using default settings. Dropbox must work then.