Problem with Dropbox and SSL/TLS protocol filtering

Hello,

I have two windows PC's, one running NOD32, the other on SSP. I have the same problem with both in that Dropbox cannot establish a secure connection if I have SSL/TLS protocol filtering enabled. It connects fine if I disable it. This all worked fine up until this weekend. I'm on version 14.0.22.0 of SSP on the laptop I'm writing this from.

I'm wondering if there has been some change to the SSL/TLS in an update, as I have had clients of mine on Gmail (mostly) and Thunderbird who have had email collection problems. I saw in the KB there was a fix for this.

Thanks.

• Administrators

I have no issues with Dropbox. Does temporarily disabling SSL filtering make a difference?

Are Dropbox executables set to Auto in the list of SSL/TLS filtered applications?

image.png

I have the same issue. When I disabled SSL/TLS filtering for the dropbox, it connected successfully. In my case problem also appeared yesterday, 04.Dec.2020. I think something has changed with the last update of ESET Internet Security, which I have. B.t.w. on dropbox website they mention this problem with ESET SSL.

Hello,

I have ESET NOD32 Antivirus 14.0.22.0  and faced the following error "cannot establish a secure connection" in Dropbox since the recent upgrade to version 11.4.472. The only solution that works for me is :

In the Advanced Setup of ESET:  Web and Email > Protocol Filtering > Excluded applications
- Add dropbox.exe and dropboxUpdate.exe

Hope it will help !

Please advise if you find a better/more secure workaround.

Regards.

Edited by jpv10

Same problem here (Dropbox v111 - the lastest stable to the date). On the second computer, no problem with Dropbox v112 (early updates enabled).

It's apparently a problem on Dropbox side since they have release the version 112 fixing this issue:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-112-3-254/td-p/476277

I have/had the same problem ! But I think I could solve it now.

Dropbox could not establish a secure connection...

since there were a lot of problems in the last days with thunderbird and other programs,

which could not connect to servers, the problems were caused by eset. disabled/enabled the tls/ssl

option solved the problem.

so I thought it would help with dropbox too, but it didnt ! so I upgraded dropbox the the latest version

as RJanata wrote, but did not work too. so what worked for me :

- TSL/SSL Filter, search and delete all dropbox entrys

- Disabled SSL/TLS Filtering

- started Dropbox (Dropbox syncs)

- enabled SSL/TLS FIltering

- quit dropbox

- started dropbox again... and connection works

I have ESET Smart Security  Premium. Recently  I see a red icon on my Dropbox icon : 'Can't establish secure internet connection'.
Disabling  SSL/TLS protocol filtering removes the error message, however when I enable SSL/TLS protocol filtering again
the error returns.
Will there be a fix for this problem?

On 12/6/2020 at 11:24 AM, jpv10 said:

Hello,

I have ESET NOD32 Antivirus 14.0.22.0  and faced the following error "cannot establish a secure connection" in Dropbox since the recent upgrade to version 11.4.472. The only solution that works for me is :

In the Advanced Setup of ESET:  Web and Email > Protocol Filtering > Excluded applications
- Add dropbox.exe and dropboxUpdate.exe

Hope it will help !

Please advise if you find a better/more secure workaround.

Regards.

This works for me!
Many thanks

• Administrators

Setting the Ignore action for dropbox.exe in the list of SSL/TLS filtered application resolves the issue. We are working on a solution that will exclude the communication in automatic SSL scan mode so that users don't have to set the action manually.

image.png