Device Control - Rule with Invalid Data

We have around 500 EndPoint Antivirus clients using Device Control, around 50 or so rules in a global policy.

Occasionally (approx. once or twice per day) we are getting error messages similar to this:

%ProductName%: Error

6/11/2014 7:59:16 AM - During execution of  on the computer PC1724, the following warning occurred: The imported configuration contains a rule with invalid data.

I cannot reproduce the problem at will (seems to be resolved by a reboot).

There seems to be no common factor other than the policy that is running (same as most other clients)

Client versions are 5.0.2214 or 5.0.2228, OS is XP or Win 7 (all with latest patches)

I am guessing this is caused by a device control rule but how can I diagnose which one?

Any ideas please?

• Administrators

Could you please pm me the policy that is applied on these clients? If there's a problem with a Device control rule, the error should also be reported whenever the configuration xml is imported manually.

Thanks for your response, Marcos.

I'm not sure how to send this info...

Do you mean export part of the policy as xml?

Pls excuse my ignorance!

• Administrators

Are you getting this warning from same computers repeatedly even after a computer restart? The xml file with Device control rules supplied seems to be ok and it was imported alright too.

For the last two weeks or so, this has been happening on one-off, random clients. Before that, the messages were for "Unknown" computers - so it's hard to say, really. However, when I investigated the logs, there didn't seem to be any pattern to it. This has been going on for at least 8 months, possible longer.

• 4 weeks later...