Eset free or premium for android phone??

Hi, I have an LG android, 7.0, kernel type(?), and have searched the site for over an hour to find another question similar to mine before opening a new topic myself. Would somebody please tell me honestly what benefits Eset for android has over other highly rated apps/programs? I dlnt have much experience with using antivirus/malware products other than what I'm using now and it does give a lot of services with free version. It's Security Master by Cheetah Mobile. I can upgrade to paid/premium but i wanted to ask those of you who know more than I do, what makes Eset your choice above all of the other security apps available? Please help an older woman who is not as computer/tech knowledgeable as most of you are.I thank you ahead of time for any replies...S.

• Administrators

The application you've mentioned doesn't ring a bell. On the other hand, ESET is a well known security vendor with years of expertise in malware research. Our products are light on resources and are effective in detection of new borne threats.

For a list of differences between the free and premium version of ESET Mobile Security, please read https://support.eset.com/en/kb3059.

• Most Valued Members
On 11/24/2020 at 11:45 AM, HarperWyatt said:

Hi, I have an LG android, 7.0, kernel type(?), and have searched the site for over an hour to find another question similar to mine before opening a new topic myself. Would somebody please tell me honestly what benefits Eset for android has over other highly rated apps/programs? I dlnt have much experience with using antivirus/malware products other than what I'm using now and it does give a lot of services with free version. It's Security Master by Cheetah Mobile. I can upgrade to paid/premium but i wanted to ask those of you who know more than I do, what makes Eset your choice above all of the other security apps available? Please help an older woman who is not as computer/tech knowledgeable as most of you are.I thank you ahead of time for any replies...S.

I've never heard of Cheetah Mobile but as soon as I Googled the name I found news articles about issues found with the company. It appears all of their apps have been removed from the Play Store, including Security Master, after security researches found it was secretly logging browser and search history and other information. It appears to have had other apps in the past removed due to other issues. This tells me a lot about the company - I personally would not trust them if they are going to run things like this. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2020/03/03/warning-an-android-security-app-with-1-billion-downloads-is-recording-users-web-browsing/?sh=37ef5ad72149

The reason I recommend Eset is they are a well known and trustworthy company. I started using their desktop security software first, and because it is reliable and doesn't hog the system I decided to also use their Android software. The problem is there are 100s of Android AVs out there, and a lot are bad.

Last year I actually posted an article on here which I've included below, about a test AV-Comparative did. They found  a large number of AVs at the time where poor, with some basically just pretending to scan for viruses. Some just used whitelisting, so you had to tell it what was safe and everything else got blocked, and by default even the AV was blocked. Some even just used names for whitelisting, so you could simply make your virus as the name of something e.g. Adobe and you'd bypass it.

Personally I'd recommend you changed your Android AV and even if you don't use Eset, use one that is well known and respected - ignore Android downloads and popularity, as it's easy to get an app popular download wise but that doesn't always mean quality. I'd recommend choosing one from a company that is already respected in the AV world desktop wise, like Eset, you know what your getting