Banking & Payment protection not working after enabling new security feature of Mozilla Firefox v83.0

Hi ESET.

The latest version of Mozilla Firefox v83.0 has been equipped with a new feature consisting in enabling the mode of forced use of HTTPS protocol only, which can increase the security of browsing on the Internet. After enabling this security feature and visiting a banking website to make payments, the ESET Smart Security Premium Banking & Payment protection feature don't work any more. Protected browser window don't start. Instead, the ESET Help website titled 'How To Fix "Unable to Redirect Banking & Payment Protection to the requested website" error' is displayed.

By following to all the indicated repair steps, the error still persists. The only way, so far, is to not use the new Mozilla Firefox security feature and wait while you will fix new bug.

Best regards,

Piotr

First, here's a write-up on the feature: https://www.askvg.com/tip-enable-https-only-mode-for-websites-in-mozilla-firefox/

Next, I enabled the feature in Firefox. There is no problem with accessing my bank's web site if I open B&PP via desktop icon. However if I try to access my bank's web site via a normal Firefox browser session, I get the same Eset help web page redirection as described.

Of note is B&PP uses a separate Firefox profile than the one used in normal Firefox mode. So I also set;

dom.security.https_only_mode

to true in that profile.

Still a no go as far as B&PP mode opening from regular browser mode. My suspicion is has something to do with the HTTPS always mode setting interfering with the initialization of  Firefox protected B&PP mode.

Don't believe this be a quick fix by Eset. In any case, one can gain access to their banking web site with this HTTPS setting always on via B&PP desktop icon.

Personally I believe this HTTPS setting always on in Firefox is not needed since Eset scans all HTTP traffic the same way it scans HTTPS traffic; abet w/o MitM SSL/TLS protocol scanning mucking up things.

Edited by itman

Indeed, there is no problem with accessing bank's web site using desktop icon or by lunching B&PP from ESET application's tools. Problem occurs only when accessing bank's web site via a normal Firefox browser session.

Anyway, it's not so annoying problem, so there isn't high priority for the fix.

• Administrators

Currently Banking and payment protection doesn't support HTTPS-only mode introduced in Firefox 83. In this mode, users won't be able to access a lot of websites so we don't expect that many users would start to use it any time soon. In the future we plan to support it.

• 3 weeks later...

Now 8th December and the problem is still evident. By default the Https mode is disabled in firefox 83 but B&PP is still not working, either by typing the bank details into Firefox, nor the desktop shortcut I have nor from eset tools directly. The associated error code given of 0x847695d2 is not recognised by eset.

Any updates on the problem.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, oopsadaysey said:

Now 8th December and the problem is still evident. By default the Https mode is disabled in firefox 83 but B&PP is still not working, either by typing the bank details into Firefox, nor the desktop shortcut I have nor from eset tools directly. The associated error code given of 0x847695d2 is not recognised by eset.

Any updates on the problem.

Please refer to the above statement. What you could do is enable the option to secure all browsers:

image.png

• 2 weeks later...