Issue with Git Push failing on macOS 11.0 Big Sur with ESET Cyber Security Pro (for Mac)

Hi I'm using git for source control and with the latest version of either ESET Cyber Security (for Mac) or ESET Cyber Security Pro (for Mac) I can not get the git Push to work while ESET Real-time File System Protection is enabled. 

Git fails with the following error: 

Push failed
                    failed to read object <<The Object ID>>: Interrupted system call
                    the remote end hung up unexpectedly
                    failed to push some refs to 'https://my git url'

When I disable Real-time file system protection, it works perfectly.

My workaround right now is to disable it do the push and then re enable it. 

Is there an exclusion I can add to avoid this?

Thanks in Advance.

Pierre

Edited by PierreM

• 1 month later...

Happens to me as well. Not always, just from time to time. I was googling the answers, trying multiple solutions until I came to this thread and it really worked! Did not know ESET's the reason, I was blaming the files or the git itself.

My error is:

Enumerating objects: 2594, done.
Counting objects: 100% (2594/2594), done.
Delta compression using up to 8 threads
Compressing objects: 100% (2504/2504), done.
fatal: failed to read object <id>: Interrupted system call
remote: fatal: early EOF
error: remote unpack failed: index-pack abnormal exit
To <remote>
 ! [remote rejected] master -> master (failed)
error: failed to push some refs to '<remote>'

Edited by MCFreddie777
Code block

• 1 month later...

I found this thread because I was having the same issues but with a different anti-virus (Sophos) who also happens to have Real-time File System Protection is enabled. I disabled it temporarily and I was also able to do the push afterwards. So it might not be strictly an EST or Sophos issue but a MacOS issue.

• 1 month later...

I'm having this issue as well, with SET Endpoint Security 6.10.460.1 / macOS 11.2.3 / git 2.29.2. I haven't (yet?) seen it happen when pushing but happens often with `git checkout`, with error:

fatal: failed to read object <id>: Interrupted system call

It doesn't _always_ happen. The first few times this happened I tried several times until it worked (with a minute or two of annoying cleanup between attempts). It's never happen when Real-time File System Protection is disabled.

• Administrators

You have posted in the ESET CyberSecurity forum but it seems that you have ESET Endpoint installed.

Are you positive that the issue doesn't occur with ESET installed?

A new version of Endpoint adding full support for Big Sur is going to be released next year. When available, install it and see if it makes a difference.

Yes, I have ESET Endpoint installed. I had also had it installed previously for Catalina and did not see this issue. I have only had 6.10.460.1 installed with Big Sur for a few days. During that time I have had the git checkout issue around 5 times. I was tipped off that ESET might be the problem by other forums where users set that other security products caused the same issue. It seems like the error may be related to the number of files that are changed when using git checkout. I don't have any actual data to support this, but I say that based on observation. It happens pretty reliably for a branch that has many changes. I now just turn off Real-time File System Protection before doing the operation and have not ever had it happen with that disabled. Hope that helps.

full support for Big Sur is going to be released next year

Next year? or did you mean next month?