Ways to upgrade ESET Remote Administrator Agent 6.3.136.0 to Agent 7.2.1266.0

Hello,

We used to have old era server that we decommissioned and installed a new one ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.2 (7.2.2236.0) (on CentOS (64-bit), Version 7.8.2003).

We had no problem upgrading the antivirus from old version but we cannot make the Agent to upgrade to latest version.

What are the recommended ways to upgrade the Agent from an older version. Normally we have no problems upgrading the agents by creating a new Client Task as noted in the pictures attached in this post and creating the proper triggers but in this case it just says finished but it does not upgrade at all.

Do you have any advice for us?

This does not work by the way

https://support.eset.com/en/kb7465-upgrade-eset-remote-administrator-agents-65-or-eset-management-agents-70-to-the-latest-eset-management-agents-71-using-the-components-upgrade-task

Thank you!

upgrade_agent1.png

upgrade_agent2.png

upgrade_agent3.png

upgrade_agent4.png

upgrade_agent5.png

upgrade_agent6.png

upgrade_agent7.png

upgrade_agent8.png

• Administrators

As far as I remember, the ESMC component upgrade task works only for agent 6.5 and newer. Since you have an older version, you will need to re-deploy the agent or use a software install task (there might be an issue with self-defense if password protection is enabled). @MartinK will correct me if I'm wrong.

22 minutes ago, Marcos said:

As far as I remember, the ESMC component upgrade task works only for agent 6.5 and newer. Since you have an older version, you will need to re-deploy the agent or use a software install task (there might be an issue with self-defense if password protection is enabled). @MartinK will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you for the answer. Would you recommend deployment via GPO? What will happen with the older agent. Will it be overwritten/upgraded by the new one or it will be installed alongside the old version? How would you advice to remove the old agent if that is the case?

Thanks again.

• ESET Staff
22 hours ago, Perftech SIO Podpora said:

Thank you for the answer. Would you recommend deployment via GPO? What will happen with the older agent. Will it be overwritten/upgraded by the new one or it will be installed alongside the old version? How would you advice to remove the old agent if that is the case?

Thanks again.

Manual upgrade of application would work normally, i.e. new version will just replace original version, even with retaining all configuration parameters and it's identity i management console. Even silent upgrade using MSI installer (without parameters) should be enough. This means that also GPO deployment should be sufficient.

@Marcos: Actually Software installation task cannot be used to upgrade AGENT itself, but there are some undocumented methods using "Run command task", probably present also on this forum. Currently automated in-program updates are not enabled for older versions, that is reason why upgrade from versions 6.0-6.4 are no longer possible. Reason for this is simple, upgrades from versions that already reached it's EOL are not tested.