Please STOP :(

Scytale

Hi, Im working on a 350 employees company.

From one day to another. ALL our eset Endpoint Antivirus were bugged with version 5. 

This bugged version  dont Protect your PC, can't update anything. The App bar says Security, inside the HUD says, Antivirus.

OK..I've been resolving it by patching the 5. (bugged dumb version) then uninstalled patched version because it doesnt update from there sometimes either. then installing Antivirus or Security 7.3 (many headaches, different problems, and scenarios)

https://support.eset.com/en/kb7442-solution-for-eset-endpoint-product-5x

I'm solving this mess done by ESET since like 2 months ago.. and now the only working version we had.. the 7.2 it's obsolete??? 

Geez

Edited by Scytale

• Administrators

Please elaborate more on the issue. If you still have Endpoint v5 installed, we strongly recommend uninstalling it and installing the latest version of Endpoint 7.3.2044. Endpoint v5 will reach End of life in less than 2 months as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb3592.

Also I'd like to bring into your attention KBs https://support-eol.eset.com/en/ and https://support-eol.eset.com/en/affected.html.

The v5 generation of products is SO OLD that even the .2272 version doesn't protect from ANY real threats currently on the Internet (Ransomware, etc.).

It is nearly EOL (a matter of days). The ERA v5 is already EOL.

If you got that issue, it is because you EVEN hadn't the latest updated build, so, you weren't correctly protected anyway. Windows Defender on recent Windows 10 updates is better than ESET v5.

So, please, you CAN'T blame ESET. Keeping the v5 working at this point, even outdated, (and not having a migration plan on time to v7) is not only dangerous but negligent.

Geez.

Edited by Marcos
Removed words that the user might considered offending

I sympathise with Scytale.  I am the IT manager for several organizations.  They used to be all ESET.  Now only 2 of them are.  Once the licenses expire they too will be using some other AV.  

Today is Sunday.  Instead of doing family things I had to upgrade the clients at a site.  All went ok except for the last one.  It hangs at Backing up files.  So I'm now trying a uninstall/reinstall.  I would use the management console but that quit working a long time ago.  Support's response was unhelpful (basically uninstall the console and all the clients and then reinstall all from scratch).

If I can't get it to reinstall this site will be upgrading early to another AV solution.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, DennisT said:

I sympathise with Scytale.  I am the IT manager for several organizations.  They used to be all ESET.  Now only 2 of them are.  Once the licenses expire they too will be using some other AV.  

Scytale had an issue with legacy v5 as far as I understand. It's an old legacy version for which only basic support is provided in terms of module updates. We do not recommend using it at all and users should upgrade to the latest version 7.3 to avoid issues. Moreover. Endpoint v5 will become EOL in Dec so even module updates will not be guaranteed any more.

Today is Sunday.  Instead of doing family things I had to upgrade the clients at a site.  All went ok except for the last one.  It hangs at Backing up files. 

We recommend excluding the process that performs backup. Please provide more information, such as what software you use for backup, what ESET product / version is installed on the machine and what OS is it.

Support's response was unhelpful (basically uninstall the console and all the clients and then reinstall all from scratch).

I'd need to check the history of the ticket to determine if it was dealt with correctly. If you have a ticket ID, please provide it. If our local support is not able to resolve a particular issue, they can escalate it to ESET HQ. Not sure if that happened in this case but we'll see after checking your ticket details.

If I can't get it to reinstall this site will be upgrading early to another AV solution.

We would be happy to assist you with troubleshooting and resolving the issue. Please answer the above questions and provide also logs collected with ESET Log Collector in a new topic.

On 11/15/2020 at 11:34 AM, Marcos said:

Scytale had an issue with legacy v5 as far as I understand. It's an old legacy version for which only basic support is provided in terms of module updates. We do not recommend using it at all and users should upgrade to the latest version 7.3 to avoid issues. Moreover. Endpoint v5 will become EOL in Dec so even module updates will not be guaranteed any more.

We recommend excluding the process that performs backup. Please provide more information, such as what software you use for backup, what ESET product / version is installed on the machine and what OS is it.

I'd need to check the history of the ticket to determine if it was dealt with correctly. If you have a ticket ID, please provide it. If our local support is not able to resolve a particular issue, they can escalate it to ESET HQ. Not sure if that happened in this case but we'll see after checking your ticket details.

We would be happy to assist you with troubleshooting and resolving the issue. Please answer the above questions and provide also logs collected with ESET Log Collector in a new topic.

I was sympathetic to the "many headaches, different problems, and scenarios" Scytale referred to.  

The installer doesn't allow the backup to be skipped, at least in any way I noticed.  Regardless, if it has problems doing a backup it should come back and display something instead of just hanging.

The site that had the console issue is no longer using ESET.  WE solved the problem, in the best manner available to us.

I was successful getting the last PC I was working on to upgrade - I R&R the software.  Today I get an email from Google that GSuite sync for Outlook is incompatible with ESET.  Yeah, there's probably some tweaking that can be done.  But I have to do it for each and every PC.  It is cheaper for the company to just abandon ESET and go with a competing AV product. 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, DennisT said:

The installer doesn't allow the backup to be skipped, at least in any way I noticed.  Regardless, if it has problems doing a backup it should come back and display something instead of just hanging.

Unfortunately it is not clear how an ESET installer (msi file) should allow a backup while ESET is just being installed. Please clarify. Or you are referring to an issue that occurred after installing ESET? Are you referring to the latest version of ESET (EFSW 7.2 or Endpoint 7.3)? What kind of backup do you mean? What software do you use for backup?

Today I get an email from Google that GSuite sync for Outlook is incompatible with ESET.

When we inquired Google about why they are warning users, it turned out they warned users of any AV that installs a add-on to Outlook regardless of whether it caused issues or not. This is the response we received:

"we've seen some AV plugins cause corruption for PST files, which prevents GSSMO accessing PST file to sync messages with Gmail. Customers typically reach out to Google, as they think GSSMO is broken as it is no longer syncing their mail between Outlook and Gmail. To improve this situation, we will notify users who use AV addons & ask them to disable it."

Our developers are not aware of any issues with the ESET add-on causing pst corruption.

On 11/17/2020 at 12:23 AM, Marcos said:

Unfortunately it is not clear how an ESET installer (msi file) should allow a backup while ESET is just being installed. Please clarify. Or you are referring to an issue that occurred after installing ESET? Are you referring to the latest version of ESET (EFSW 7.2 or Endpoint 7.3)? What kind of backup do you mean? What software do you use for backup?

This occurred doing an upgrade from v7.1 to 7.3 endpoint.    I have no idea what the backup is or what it is doing.  That is just the message that is displayed/hangs at when running the installer.