"DriveSecurity powered by ESET" - Feedback

rugk

I tested the new USB-antivirus DriveSecurity. Here my feedback.

For convenience I marked my feedback with this signs:

+ Praise

- Not so good

~ Comments

Installation:

+ At first: Very good idea! Its a good idea to protect also USB sticks.

+ Installation with the Installer is very easy

- Why the EULA is stored on the desktop? This isn't a nice and it also isn't a sign of reliability. Why don't display the EULA only (like all other software does) or install it on the USB drive?

- After installation there pop-up many windows at once. (It's not such bad but it isn't nice too.)

~ Only for information: I activated trail license, so I can't say what it does if you bought it.

- After activating trail license I get an e-mail with a link where I should seen the "licence information". But I saw nothing because the link (links to this file) "redirects the request for this address in a way that will never complete." (Firefox says)

Using:

~ It does not autostart of the drive and I understand why, but...

- ...if so you should make it clear (in the help file) that the users must start the EXE manually! I think some users would think it don't needs to start manually.

- The design: It is not the kind of design I know of ESET. The kind of design I know from ESET is simple, meaningful design. And this GUI hasn't this design.

E.g. it has no windows-like border - the ESET software has it. And the design also looks a bit "compressed" like you have tried to put many things into a small GUI (Edit: = overcrowded). And another fact: The windows isn't resizable - all windows from other ESET software are resizable. Additionally also the background picture don't looks such reliable/serious.

post-3952-0-67765600-1402416464_thumb.png

- Attention: The e-mail-address for the license is saved in plain text - no encryption is used (path: <DriveLetter>:\ESET\email.txt)! This isn't good because maleware (specially adware) can read this e-mail simply and send you spam. And also in the logs this e-mail-address can found simply!

But fortunately you can delete this files without problems.

- No self-protection: Also if DriveSecurity is running I can do almost all with the files in the directory "ESET"

- Sometimes it has got over 60 MB RAM usage. Usually this isn't a lot but on older computers it can be a problem.

- Removing the volume securely (with Windows feature) don't work correctly. After trying to do this - DriveSecurity exits but then you can't remove the drive securely too.

+ It has got a small help file. Nice! :)

- It has no function for checking for another product version. (not only the update for the signature database)

- If maleware is found it is deleted. Why not a quarantine? (or maybe zipping the file should also work)

+ its quite small - only 300 MB. That's good!

Edited by rugk

• ESET Moderators

Great feedback; thank you for taking the time to provide this. I will forward this information to make sure our product managers see it. Additionally, we will look at the specific comments you made regarding how to better support users with the product and where we can improve documentation.

I was going to buy it not that I need it, but just is good to have handy, but when I saw it's a yearly subscription I was put off.

Such a tool which is rarely used by a user should have a lifetime license option IMHO. The moment it has a lifetime license, I'll buy it

Great feedback; thank you for taking the time to provide this. I will forward this information to make sure our product managers see it. Additionally, we will look at the specific comments you made regarding how to better support users with the product and where we can improve documentation.

Thanks! :) But I had to add another thing:

- Please add another languages to the program. (I think it isn't so much to translate - compared to other ESET products)

Such a tool which is rarely used by a user should have a lifetime license option IMHO.

I agree, because you also must buy a 1-year-license for all your USB drives (or other external devices) - and that can be many.

But I also found a small "bug" in the shop. In the German version (and many other versions with other languages) there is a wrong product name displayed - "ESET Smart Security 5 - Home Edition":

post-3952-0-62445500-1402423344_thumb.png

Edited by rugk

• Administrators

Moving the topic to the General forum as this product has nothing to do with ESET NOD32 Antivirus and is being developed by ClevX and ESET works just as a sort of an add-on.

OK. I only post the topic here because this product is based on ESET Nod32 (or powered by ESET Nod32) like it is shown in the screenshot at the top.

Edited by rugk

And I also have an idea for buying. If this tool is

just (...) an add-on.

why not include it inside ESET Smart Security (or also an other ESET product), so you have a comprehensive protection against maleware? Just add the ability to install 3-5 versions of DriveSecurity from ESS. (without increasing the price)

And here a small example how it could look:

post-3952-0-68507800-1402498511_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-18857600-1402498518_thumb.png

Edited screenshots of ESS (to show how it could look)

Edited by rugk

But it is not an ESET product as in developed by ESET so they can't add it to one of their own products just like that afaik, besides we really don't want NOD32 or ESS to become bloated. After that someone will request they add a system backup feature, system performance booster etc etc....please no too many products has gone down that road already. :(  Keeping it simple is the key to ESET's success. :)

Edited by SweX

not an ESET product as in developed by ESET

It's developed by ESET but not alone. They develop it with ClevX, aren't they?

so they can't add it to one of their own products just like that afaik

I think they are able to do this. And if not they can maybe only add an possibility to get the licenses for DriveSecurity if you bought ESET Smart Security and you must download the installer files yourself. That would also save disk space.

add a system backup feature, system performance booster etc

No way! I also don't want this. But there's a (huge) difference between "system performance booster" and "USB-antivirus".

ESET is a antivirus (or "anti-malware") company and not a "tuning up your pc-company" - And that's good!

So it's also good if they improve malware protection (with products like DriveSecurity) but they never should make a system-booster tool into their anti-malware-software (like Norton 360° e.g.).

Edit: malware corrected.

Edited by rugk

No, not if I read what Marcos said correctly, but maybe I didn't. I guess one can say it is "powered by" ESET.

Having a standalone installer on the website sounds like a better idea if they were going to offer it free of charge for all ESET customers.

Also, I just want to point this out before someone else says something funny about that you write maleware, it is Malware not Maleware.

Good then we are on the same page, but unfortunately too many vendors think that they need to do so much more than just protect their customers.....

....IMO all that these other vendors need to do is to write a KB article or similar with suggestions to try, so when a customer complains that his/her's PC is running slow or whatever then they can simply point that customer to that article where the vendor have a list of solutions that that customer can try, like checking what programs that start up automatically that may have a process that use up resources etc etc...the list can be made quite long. But no, they want to have it all in their protection software.

Or develop little utilities and offer small standalone installers that users can download if they are interested. 

Hello, i think none of it is developed by ESET. (GUI)

They are using the scanning engine, virus definitions, and maybe live grid in some form of fashion. If i had to guess.

Think herd protect or hitman pro, using definitions.

free of charge for all ESET customers

That would also be a good idea!

And, I also think we are on the same page, because there's one thing that I think: The actual way how customers should buy it (1 year license, every drive needs a separate license) needs to be improved.

Also, I just want to point this out before someone else says something funny about that you write maleware, it is Malware not Maleware.

Oh yes, of course... :wacko: I have corrected it.

Edited by rugk

• Former ESET Employees

Just wanted to make sure we addressed some of your original concerns, so we brought this to our Product Managers for further explanation. Below is their response:

- Why the EULA is stored on the desktop? This isn't a nice and it also isn't a sign of reliability. Why don't display the EULA only (like all other software does) or install it on the USB drive?

Great feedback. We'll look at moving the EULA to the thumb drive.

- After installation there pop-up many windows at once. (It's not such bad but it isn't nice too.)

We can't reproduce this. Could you possibly provide us with a screenshot?

- After activating trail license I get an e-mail with a link where I should seen the "licence information". But I saw nothing because the link (links to this file) "redirects the request for this address in a way that will never complete." (Firefox says)
We'll work on this. Thanks!

It does not autostart of the drive and I understand why, but...
This is out of our control for the software part. When pre-installed on some of the secure drives (for example Kingston encrypted drives), the DriveSecurity software is pre-activated in the partition and does start automatically.

...if so you should make it clear (in the help file) that the users must start the EXE manually! I think some users would think it don't needs to start manually.
You're right and we'll make this more clear in future versions.

The design: It is not the kind of design I know of ESET. The kind of design I know from ESET is simple, meaningful design. And this GUI hasn't this design.
This is because DriveSecurity is not an ESET product. It uses NOD32 engine but the product belongs to ClevX. Overall we (ESET and ClevX) have received quite positive response in regards to the minimalistic design approach of the DriveSecurity UI but we're always open to suggestions as we try to continuously improve the product.

- Attention: The e-mail-address for the license is saved in plain text - no encryption is used (path: <DriveLetter>:\ESET\email.txt)! This isn't good because maleware (specially adware) can read this e-mail simply and send you spam. And also in the logs this e-mail-address can found simply!
You're right. Good point and we'll work on this.

No self-protection: Also if DriveSecurity is running I can do almost all with the files in the directory "ESET"
It's designed this way because we don't require any admin rights.

Sometimes it has got over 60 MB RAM usage. Usually this isn't a lot but on older computers it can be a problem.
It uses the same engine as other ESET products.

Removing the volume securely (with Windows feature) don't work correctly. After trying to do this - DriveSecurity exits but then you can't remove the drive securely too.
DriveSecurity needs to be stopped first; there is a turn off button on the Dialog or you can right-click on the system tray and exit.

It has no function for checking for another product version. (not only the update for the signature database)
This is definitely on our "to do" list

If maleware is found it is deleted. Why not a quarantine? (or maybe zipping the file should also work)
It works this way by design.

Again thanks RugK for the thorough and well-thought out feedback. Also to add a quick reply about adding this to existing products, again in a few ways it already has been. DriveSecurity is based on the NOD32 engine which exists in all ESET products and these products also include features to scan and block removable drives.

DriveSecurity is based on the NOD32 engine which exists in all ESET products and these products also include features to scan and block removable drives.

Thanks for mentioning that, I was unsure if they did the same thing so I didn't say anything about it. ;)

Here my answer to your answer :):

We can't reproduce this. Could you possibly provide us with a screenshot?

Yes, of course. Here you can see 3 windows showed at one time:

post-3952-0-66953900-1402690161_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-49064600-1402690163_thumb.png

Removing the volume securely (with Windows feature) don't work correctly. After trying to do this - DriveSecurity exits but then you can't remove the drive securely too.
DriveSecurity needs to be stopped first; there is a turn off button on the Dialog or you can right-click on the system tray and exit.

What about making a button "Stop DriveSecurity and remove USB drive securely" (like another software can - even if it is started from the USB)?

DriveSecurity is based on the NOD32 engine which exists in all ESET products and these products also include features to scan and block removable drives.

Yes of course the ESET products also can protect against maleware on USB drives, but the special thing about DriveSecurity is the fact that it protects your USBs also on computers where no ESET software is installed. And due to this fact you maybe should get a few licenses with ESS/Nod32. (see #7)

And also don't forget the two things I added:

• add localisations (other languages) to DriveSecurity
  • the bug in the shop (see #4)

And there is also a new thing I want to ask:

• Does DriveSecurity use (Advanced) Heuristic and/or ESET Live Grid? If not you could add this.

Just a funny thing at the end: The DriveSecurity main exe-file hasn't a such good rating at LiveGrid.

post-3952-0-38544500-1402691916_thumb.png

Edit: A few months later I gave another feedback about this product: ClevX DriveSecurity v 2.18 - Feedback

Edited by rugk