ekrn.exe 421,816 kb in Task Manager?

Aleksey_

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:
- in the adv. setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics click the Create button to generate a dump of ekrn
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector
- upload the generated archive to a safe location and drop me a private message with a download link
- post a screen shot of the whole Task manager window so that we can see the ESET service (ekrn.exe) in the list as well as the column names.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

sorry to hijack the thread but there must be something wrong with the installation.

on my pc the ekrn.exe is somewhere 50-60 MB, definitely not more than 200 or 400.

have you tried a clean install by removing it through safe mode? run the tool a few times until it reports that "no supported products were found"

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool

then download and install the full package from here

9 hours ago, shocked said:

sorry to hijack the thread but there must be something wrong with the installation.

on my pc the ekrn.exe is somewhere 50-60 MB, definitely not more than 200 or 400.

have you tried a clean install by removing it through safe mode? run the tool a few times until it reports that "no supported products were found"

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool

then download and install the full package from here

1) Are you running version 13 or 14?

2) I already cleaned the system using that ESET tool before installing version 13 and it was working fine. Being forced to go through this when the antivirus decides to autoupdate at a whim, is absolutely unacceptable.

Edited by Aleksey_

9 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please post a screen shot of the Task manager where the whole column titles are visible.

image.png

That says Memory (Private Working Set). That's all you got after all this time? No status update?

12 hours ago, shocked said:

on my pc the ekrn.exe is somewhere 50-60 MB,

That was the case prior to ver. 14. On my Win 10 20H2 build, EIS Private Bytes usage per Process Explorer is currently 135 MB.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, itman said:

That was the case prior to ver. 14. On my Win 10 20H2 build, EIS Private Bytes usage per Process Explorer is currently 135 MB.

perhaps that earlier value was due to fresh boot or the task manager not being refreshed correctly or me not noticing the numbers correctly?
the numbers are calculated in kb or byte? i'm confused.

Capture.thumb.PNG.5955bcf0c6ad98037957582d5d160e30.PNG

Capture2.PNG.a51131cee8f54930f7a9471cd25068ff.PNG

I finally nuked ESET by uninstalling and then running that utility in Safe Mode twice.... second time it said it had nothing to remove, but both times it hung in the end for several minutes and then complained about a driver in oem35.inf that it could not remove.

I reinstalled ESET 14.x from scratch and imported my settings. Now ekrn.exe is hovering around 100mb (Private Working Set). 

• Administrators

Importing configuration may also affect memory usage, e.g. if it contains a lot of email addresses in the antispam lists. When troubleshooting issues, we recommend doing a fresh install with default settings to prevent possible effects of a custom configuration on the issue.