ESS rendering my Win 10 system unusable

Hello,

After recent update to ma ESS  v13.2.16.0 my PC started behaving weird, first few minutes it got really slow, than I couldn't start Task manager (ctr+alt+del, nothing happens), most of my icons become blank on desktop, I couldn't open control panel to try to uninstall anything. I started to suspect to Eset because it was the only app that got updated in last few days that while I didn't install anything. I had to hard reset my system only to boot it up again with same bugs that seam to basically freeze most of systems in WIN 10. I had to go to Safe mode and had to use esetuninstaller.exe to remove my ESS and magically, everything worked.Basically I tried to reinstall my ESS and  restarted afterwards, loaded my config and all worked for like 5 minutes, than all started appearing again, can't access winCP, can't open task manager to see whats freezing my windows, cant open any other app. Really weird, naturally I suspected some malware so I tried downloading and using CC cleaner and Malwerbytes to scan, in normal and safe mode, with ESS (if managed for few seconds before it froze system) and without it, and found nothing bad on my system. Obviously I am coming here after a lot of trial and errors and my PC is running good entire day without Eset. My license is still valid for an entire year so I would like to continue to use Eset. If someone can help I can try to reproduce problems and try to record some logs maybe. I am using Win 10 Pro x64 v2004 build: 19041.610 with all latest drivers for my hardware, I supplied speccy text file of my system. Weird it says my firewall is handled by Eset, while in my settings it clearly says Windows defender because I uninstalled Eset.

Thanks for all your help

NIX-DESKTOP.txt

• Administrators

Does the issue occur if you install v14.0.22 from scratch with default settings? Does the issue occur even if you cancel the update which is run after activation? How long does it take for the issue to manifest after installation?

If possible, please configure Windows to generate complete or active memory dumps as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb380 and initiate a manual crash when the issue occurs. When done, compress the dump and supply it to us for perusal.

I did an reinstall after configuring my PC according to instructions, and after restart again the same things happen. I ran Eset Sysinspector and then executed manual crash and generated quite large mem dump which i ZIP-ed and uploaded to Gdrive.

Hope this can shed some light to you.

Interestingly, I am writing this now after this manual crash and restart  and system seams ok while ESET is reporting that "Device control is not fully functional", could this device control be the culprit?

Thank you for all the help.

SysInspector-NIX-DESKTOP-201106-111717.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Please carry on as follows:
- enable advanced Device control logging in the adv. setup -> tools -> diagnostics
- reboot the machine and reproduce the issue
- disable logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

Does temporarily disabling Device control integration and rebooting the machine make a difference?

On 11/14/2020 at 10:43 PM, Nick-ZG said:

Is anyone going to look into this, or should I give up on ESET completely?

This is the exact issue I have recently had with ESET. Turns out, a possible fix is an in-place upgrade for Windows. It can be achieved by creating an installation media for Windows using the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's website and launching the installation while Windows is still running. That will trigger an upgrade of Windows.

I suggest trying this, it seemed to solve my issue, at least temporarily.