Small interface glitch

zerotox

Hello, guys,

I just want to make sure whether this glitch is not only on my PC. On the left all tabs are working and switching OK except Computer scan - when you click on it it takes a few seconds to show. So a few seconds freeze occurs. This is the only interface glitch I've encountered. Has anyone else experienced it?

Hello,

This issue has risen once before, but i do not recall what was causing it.

The latest version is not doing this for me currently. It may be something else albeit software or hardware causing this.

Is it reproducable at any time? Everytime you click it? Or just once on the initial opening ?

Does the problem occur with Graphical User Interface disabled in the Advanced > User interface section ?

Are you using the most current version of EAV 7.0.317 ?

Yes. And Arakasi - yes it is always reproducible. Forgot to mention that I'm on Windows 8.1 update 1 32 bit, no other security software realtime.

I haven't tried with Graphical User Interface disabled, will do when I get back from work.

One other thing - I didn't have this glitch with the previous version.

P.S. I tried with Graphical user interface disabled - it is the same - freezing for a few seconds upon clicking Computer scan.

Edited by zerotox

Hello zerotox.

Read this thread and contact Marcos via PM. Maybe it's the same issue. I had that problem with previous version ( 7.0.302)

but not with 7.0.317.

Hello zerotox.

Read this thread and contact Marcos via PM. Maybe it's the same issue. I had that problem with previous version ( 7.0.302)

but not with 7.0.317.

Thank you very much, Nedim, but I really doubt it has something to do with an external drive in my case. It is only the Computer scan tab in the main windows that is freezing and it is not only on first opening of the menu - it is always like that. Not any delays in context-menu scans.

I'm on windows 7 64 bit system with all updates from microsoft. no issues with v7.0.302 but have the issue described here in v7.0.317.

have uninstalled, rebooted and fresh install......same problems with computer scan button. have to use task manager to close NOD32 software. Uninstalled the v7.0.317 and go back to v7.0.302 and no problem with freezing.

:(

Edited by john114

I encountered another glitch, connected with the original one by accident. When you have opened the UI and you are on the Computer scan tab, if you do a right-click scan the window hangs and the notification in the bottom right corner stays black for a while, hangs, before coming out right with the displayed information.

No any hangs if you are on any of the other tabs on the left.

Edited by zerotox

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I downloaded the old version 7.0.302.26 from Filehippo and after uninstalling the new version, installed the old one. No problems whatsoever with the interface. I'll stay with it until the next version comes. Considering that modules are the same in both versions I suppose I don't lose anything protection-wise?

Also a small question - are toast-notifications on detecting a threat abandoned in favor of the old Eset notification windows? Because they are no more in the new 7.0.317 version.

• Administrators

The best would be to contact Customer care and supply them with a Process monitor log created at the moment when the issue occurs. You can also upload the log to a safe location and pm me with the download link.

The best would be to contact Customer care and supply them with a Process monitor log created at the moment when the issue occurs. You can also upload the log to a safe location and pm me with the download link.

Well, I don't want to change again and I don't have the time to fiddle. I uninstalled and reinstalled before putting the older version and the same glitch. I also don't see how it can be fixed as I don't have anything else installed to conflict besides Hitman Pro free to occasionally check my PC. I prefer to stay with the previous version just would like to confirm that I'm protected just as well as I would be with the new version.

Also I like the toast messages in version 7.0.302.26.

This issue also occurs in the past by me.

It occurs two times:

1. Directly after activating ESS (with a bought license from a trail license before). I had to restart the PC and then it works fine again. (before and after there wasn't such a problem, except of 1 time - see 2.)
    I already reported this to the customer care.
  2. Some weeks/months (I don't know exactly) this issue occurred again. It freezes the GUI and I can't do something. This time I made a screenshot.

Both issues occurred on this system:

ESS v 7.0.317.4

Windows 7, SP 1, x64

And it only occurred on the tab "Computer scan". Nowhere else! I know this because I clicked on all other tabs before and there wasn't any problems.

post-3952-0-15472200-1403716298_thumb.png

Edited by rugk

• Administrators

And it only occurred on the tab "Computer scan". Nowhere else! I know this because I clicked on all other tabs in the first time and there wasn't any problem.

This is expected as the program gathers information about devices when "Computer scan" is activated. Since the issue also occurs with the latest version, I'd recommend creating a Process monitor log from the moment when you select "Computer scan".

And it only occurred on the tab "Computer scan". Nowhere else! I know this because I clicked on all other tabs in the first time and there wasn't any problem.

This is expected as the program gathers information about devices when "Computer scan" is activated. Since the issue also occurs with the latest version, I'd recommend creating a Process monitor log from the moment when you select "Computer scan".

Well... yes I would help you if I could, but at the moment this issue doesn't occur (since a quite long time) - like I wrote.

But as far as I can remember I haven't plugged any devices (containing files) into the computer. But I can't promise it.

And also the thing that it starts not until I activated ESS (at the first occur) is very strange... :unsure:

Edited by rugk

Hello again,

I'll repeat my 2 unanswered questions. Please anyone that could spare a minute to reply:

1. Is version 7.0.302.26 providing the same protection as the new 7.0.307 version? (modules are the same)

2. Is ESET planning to bring back the toast messages in Windows 8 and 8.1 or the warnings will be as they were in the past - windows in the down right corner?

Thank you!

Edited by zerotox

1. Version "7.0.307"? You mean 7.0.317, don't you?

If version 7.0.317 they had only fixed some bugs (= issues). They of course can be a security risk in some special cases if you use an "unfixed" version (e.g. if the Antispam module crashes and you aren't any more protected).

But the protection features are the same and also both versions get the same VSD updates.

So it's good to use the new version but it also isn't a large security risk to use the old version.

More about the ESS v 7.0.317 (including a changelog) you can find here:

2. These messages should be displayed. If not then it's an issue.

But in their changelogs ESET writes "Fixed: Problem with toast notifications not being displayed on Windows 8" for the new version 7.0.317.

So this issue should already be fixed!

Edit: But I found out that there is a known issue with the toast messages on windows 8. If you use "metro applications" then ESS thinks it's a game that runs in full screen mode and so it automatic activates Gamer Mode. In this Gamer Mode no messages were displayed. But you can stop the automatic detection of full screen applications and then it should work normal.

Source: hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3354&locale=en_US

Sorry that I have to say "but" again... but you have to know that this article I linked to is quite old. There stands some issues were resolved in version  "7.0.302" and that's - we all know - the old version. So I don't know if this issue is already fixed or not.

I think someone of the ESET moderators should tell us if it's fixed or not in the latest version.

Edited by rugk

Sorry, I meant 7.0.317.

Yes, it is written fixed in the change-log but in the new version 7.0.317 the toast notifications are not there at all, replaced by the old way of Eset warning windows.

• 6 months later...

So here is my original post within this topic:

I'm on windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit system with all updates from microsoft. no issues with v7.0.302 but have the issue described here in v7.0.317.

have uninstalled, rebooted and fresh install......same problems with computer scan button. have to use task manager to close NOD32 software. Uninstalled the v7.0.317 and go back to v7.0.302 and no problem with freezing."

I stayed with v7.0.302 until the new version 8 arrived. I completely uninstalled the version 7 I had (v7.0.302) and did a fresh install of v8.0.304.1 and I still have a "freeze-up" of the software when I try to access the computer scan interface. In fact I have to go into task manger to finally force a shut down of the software.

So..........did anyone get a solution to this issue?

I don't have an external hard drive connected to the system either

Edited by john114

I'm back to back to v7.0.302...........no problems at all!

What gives?????????

If this can't be solved, do I need to migrate to a new antivirus program?

AFAIK this issue also appears in ESET v7.

But as it appeared (at least in my case) very rarely I didn't found this really bad. E.g. although it wasn't fixed until now I haven't seen this issue anymore since I reported it.

Here is the report and there you (and anybody else experiencing this issue) will also see when it will be fixed:

ESS GUI (egui.exe) freezes at tab "Scan Computer"

Also have a look at this topic: ESET SS8 Freeze

I'm afraid after many years of being a very happy/satisfied ESET NOD32 user, it may be time for a change if the newer software can't be used on my standard operating system

This topic you posted:

Also have a look at this topic: ESET SS8 Freeze

seems to have others like me still having the isue in version 8 still    :(

Edited by john114

It was confirmed in another topic that this issue will be solved in the next service build of v8.

OK....my mistake, I thought it was said it would be fixed by version 8.....which has come out already.

So, good news....thank you Marcos for clarifying that the issue will be fixed after the next version after 8.0.304.1