real-time file system protection is non-functional restart required

redglass98

• Administrators

Did you install v14 over an older version than v13? Are you asked to reboot the machine even if you click the link in ESET's gui?

Having the same issue here.  Currently on v14.0.22.0 .  Which means it auto-updated some time this week (sorry, didn't notice).  ESET Antivirus Home screen has two red messages (interestingly the red number circle 'badge' beside "Home" has  "3" but only two action items are listed) :

1) Computer restart required - ESET NOD32 Antivirus has been updated to a more recent version.  In order to ensure maxium protection, computer restart is required for all changes to take effect
<Restart computer blue link>

2) Real-time file system protection is non-functional - This functionality could not be started and your computer is not protected against some types of threats.

Setup has one red message because of the real-time file system protection, its switch is off and red colour and cannot be switched on.  But inside its settings, it is enabled.

The restart computer link works.  I've tried twice now, with sufficient time between to let it do whatever it needs to do.  In fact, the reboot seems to be a full reboot, not the typical fast Win 10 restore-a-snapshot sort of reboot, which is cool.  But I just can't seem to make it happy.

My partner has the same laptop as me (Del Inspiron 7391, Win10 x64) and a pretty similar config; I saw her update come through this week but didn't have the same issue.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, StepEd said:

The restart computer link works.  I've tried twice now, with sufficient time between to let it do whatever it needs to do.  In fact, the reboot seems to be a full reboot, not the typical fast Win 10 restore-a-snapshot sort of reboot, which is cool.  But I just can't seem to make it happy.

Please carry on as follow:
- in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics, click Create to generate a dump of ekrn
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector
- upload the generated archive to a safe location and provide me with a download link in a private message.

Thankyou Marcus for your Reply.

Unfortunately though, I can't do that.
When I go to ESET NOD32 Antivirus > Setup > Advanced Setup > Diagnostics ,
I selected Dump type = Full (I wasn't sure how verbose you needed it to be), then clicked "Create" (diagnostic dump).

It seemed to chug away for a while, that bit seemed fine.  But I can't locate the dump.
There is an "Open" link beside "Open diagnostics folder".  Instead of going to the diagnostics path, it simply goes to "Computer" (ie: where you see your local C drive etc).
So I tried to navigate to the path listed above it, manually in Windows Explorer, being C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics .  I can navigate to the "ESET Security" folder and I can see the Diagnostics folder in the list, but double-clicking it to open it does nothing, no error or anything, just ignores me.  It's weird.  Properties on the Diagnostics folder shows it's 0 bytes.

Edit :
I've made a breakthrough.  I tried copying the Diagnostics folder to elsewhere and got prompted to elevate access.  Clicking Yes allowed the copy to proceed.  Don't know why it didn't prompt me before.  However you may want to check that the "Open diagnostics folder" function witin NOD32 isn't broken / bug fix / etc.

Edited by StepEd

I had the same issue and the only way I could fix it was by removing the application and all residual folders and reinstall.

I tried running the repair option from the Control Panel failed.

Maybe a permissions foobar with the in-place upgrade?

shockpoint, are you therefore saying that you get the same persistent errors reported and request to reboot which doesn't clear, except on a) ESET Internet Security and b) on 14.0.21.0 ?  If so, then may or may not be the same issue.  Might be worth submitting dumps as per Marcos' post above, given some of the differences, if I'm interpreting correctly.

FYI, I did submit dumps via PM to him just after my post above indicating I had issues doing so.

On 10/31/2020 at 12:53 AM, StepEd said:

Having the same issue here.  Currently on v14.0.22.0 .  Which means it auto-updated some time this week (sorry, didn't notice).  ESET Antivirus Home screen has two red messages (interestingly the red number circle 'badge' beside "Home" has  "3" but only two action items are listed) :

1) Computer restart required - ESET NOD32 Antivirus has been updated to a more recent version.  In order to ensure maxium protection, computer restart is required for all changes to take effect

2) Real-time file system protection is non-functional - This functionality could not be started and your computer is not protected against some types of threats.

Setup has one red message because of the real-time file system protection, its switch is off and red colour and cannot be switched on.  But inside its settings, it is enabled.

Hi there,

I have exactly the same issue on my PC, but in addition mine says my license is expired in May. Before the upgrade it was expiring in March 2023. Kind of scary. Is this a bug with the new version? My laptop offers to upgrade to v14.0.22.0 too, but seeing this I rather postopne it as long as I can.

• Administrators

Please try disabling real-time protection in the advanced setup and rebooting the machine.
If it doesn't help, re-enable real-time protection and carry on as follows:

- under Help and support -> Details for customer care enable advanced logging
- reboot the machine
- disable logging
- in the advanced setup -> tools -> diagnostics click Create to generate an ekrn dump
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector
- configure Windows to generate complete memory dumps as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb380 and manually trigger a crash to generate one when the errors are reported.

Please upload both the memory dump (compressed) and ELC logs to a safe location and drop me a private message with download links.

Hello, FYI: I have the same issue of StepEd. Yesterday a restart was required for an update. 

After restart in the Home panel there are 2 RED alerts:

"Computer restart required:-ESET NOD32 Antivirus has been updated to a more recent version. In order to ensure maximum protection, computer restart is required for all changes to take effect"

"Real-time file system protection is non-functional: This functionality could not be started and your computer is not protected against some type of threats".

In the Setup panel there is 1 RED alert:

"Computer protection: not all required computer protection features are active".

In the panel of "Computer protection" the Real-time file system protection is OFF (Non-functional) and cannot be set to ON. (But inside its settings, it is enabled).

Several PC restart had no effect: the warnings remain the same and the real-time file system protection don't start. 

Current version 14.0.22.0

Last successful update 05/11/2020 17:54:55

Last successful check for updates 05/11/2020 18:54:46

Here is a short list of events on 05/11/2020

04/11/2020 21:37:46;ESET Kernel;Detection Engine was successfully updated to version 22266 (20201104).;SYSTEM
05/11/2020 09:46:16;ESET Kernel;Detection Engine was successfully updated to version 22268 (20201105).;SYSTEM
05/11/2020 10:54:07;ESET Kernel;Detection Engine was successfully updated to version 22269 (20201105).;SYSTEM
05/11/2020 10:54:16;Update;An update to version 14.0.22.0 is prepared and will be applied after computer restart.;SYSTEM
05/11/2020 14:54:11;ESET Kernel;Detection Engine was successfully updated to version 22270 (20201105).;SYSTEM
05/11/2020 17:54:57;ESET Kernel;Detection Engine was successfully updated to version 22271 (20201105).;SYSTEM

I stay here following this topic to see if there is a solution.

Best Regards.

Gabriele.

Hi Marcos,

I collected the ESET and Windows logs but cannot send you a private message, it is saying " Marcos cannot receive messages. "

Please let me know how can I share them with you.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Marcos,

FYI: solved today doing as follow:

uninstalled the package (from Control Panel of win10, Program & Features)

downloaded latest Rel.

reinstall the package.

BR.

Gabriele.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Gabsa said:

uninstalled the package (from Control Panel of win10, Program & Features)

downloaded latest Rel.
reinstall the package.

Yes, this is a workaround that works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Two months without a solution?

I got the same problem, how can I backup and later reapply all my settings when the only solution seems to be to first uninstall and then reinstall eset?

• Administrators
8 hours ago, inode45 said:

I got the same problem, how can I backup and later reapply all my settings when the only solution seems to be to first uninstall and then reinstall eset?

Haven't seen this reported by users for a quite long time. Does the issue actually go away after uninstalling ESET and installing the latest version from scratch? A problem starting real-time protection can also be caused by a bad state of Windows when OOBE has not finished yet.

Hi @Marcos,

Well I've just uninstalled and re-installed this morning.  It works - but then again, so it should, one would hope (because otherwise that would be a separate issue).  I note it's the same version as what I had previously (v14.0.22.0), which I think NOD32 had just upgraded itself to when problems begain (refer to the error messages in my first post).

I think the real test is whether it will apply the next update successfully when it comes around. If the root cause from the dumps I provided hasn't been determined, then who can say, until it comes around.

From what I've read about OOBE, what it is, how to invoke/configure it etc, I'm fairly sure that won't be it.  Did tech support make any progress on the supplied ekrn dump and Log Collector logs?

Cheers

Edited by StepEd
Forgot to tag support staff

• Administrators
7 hours ago, StepEd said:

Did tech support make any progress on the supplied ekrn dump and Log Collector logs?

This was a reply from devs:
We analyzed user data and tested various scenarios regarding performing registered file operations at reboot, but finally the issue cannot be reproduced. Next AS release will include a few improvements to eliminate potential errors and also error handling and logging for startup operations.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem a few days ago. I had over 50 machines suddenly reported 'Real-time file system protection is non-functional' all of a sudden. The unique part is that all these systems have not been log in to the domain for months since they are all office pc's (covid restrictions). In order to clear the error, the user or someone must log in to the computer and it will clear the error out. ESET support doesn't have any idea yet how to fix it.