"Training" at the left side in ESET programs?

rugk

In the ESET Knowledgebase I saw several screenshots that have got a part "Training" at the left side below "Tools" and above "Help and Support".

See this screenshot:

post-3952-0-48027600-1402144819_thumb.png

Edited - originally from: hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN758

What is this part? What does this part do? Can I enable it and if this is so: How can I enable it?

click start

Yes, but then ESET will create maleware on your PC and you can now scan your PC to find it...  :D;)

No, seriously - This part must have a function, but what? Maybe it's something for developing or testing.

Edited by rugk

NO, seriously , you cant tell what its for ???

I guess ill make a snag it video for you .

Found the KB

Edited by Arakasi

• Most Valued Members

I think rugk is saying that the actual "Training" menu button doesn't appear in the main program window in the first place.

Edited by planet

Hello :)

I don't presume he is using cyber security. but the windows versions due to his choice of screen shot to represent.

This is what the latest version looks like attached.

post-1101-0-94748200-1402196911_thumb.jpg

OK, at first: I'm using ESET Smart Security 7.0.317.4. And now to my questions:

What is this part? What does this part do?

You answered it. Thanks! :)
It trains the users of an ESET software in real-life situations. That's a great idea! I have never heard that other antivirus company's does this!
And it's sounds really great because most infections of maleware or phishing attacks can be prevented if users are more carefully. (in my opinion - I don't want to start a discussion now.)

Can I enable it and if this is so: How can I enable it?

Now to this. I don't see the part "Training" in ESS. (see screenshot)

post-3952-0-45909700-1402218651_thumb.png

But I use the German version of ESS - maybe it's not included in this version. Or I must enable a special option?

And also the link in the KB article don't work.

I would be happy to test this training from ESET.

Edited by rugk

Hello,

I think the training was programmed in a static language and English was used.

German versions would probably answer the question why it is not included. Or it may be US only.

If you want to check it out, i would download a trial version of english and maybe install it in a VM or on another machine?

It's on the web, so maybe you can use a trial license key just to visit the page and watch. :)

• Most Valued Members

I don't presume he is using cyber security. but the windows versions due to his choice of screen shot to represent.

Sorry, in the KB you linked it provides screenshots for Training in both Cyber Security and Smart Security, which is why I just used my Mac to explain.

German versions would probably answer the question why it is not included. Or it may be US only.

I have a feeling it's US only, as where I am we also don't have that 'Training' section in either program although we use English.

EDIT: Now certain it's only for the US, as when I also try to visit the link provided in the KB, it just redirects to the local ESET product store.

Edited by planet

OK,  tried to install the English version of ESS. At first I installed it in an VM with a German OS.

And it didn't show "Training":

post-3952-0-76075800-1402302721_thumb.png

Then I installed ESS in another VM with an English OS and now it showed "Training" correctly:

post-3952-0-52877000-1402306649_thumb.png

But If I click on ESET it shows a website where it says "ESET Cybersecurity Training is currently available only for residents of the US, Canada and the Caribbean.". I don't know how they get out that I'm not American.

And also the link in the KB article don't work.

On the American website of ESET I also saw the correct link: hxxp://www.eset.com/us/download/training

But finally: Why are you disallowing non-American/non-Canadian users of ESET to use this training? If they want to test the training and are not native English speakers they aren't allowed not use it (even if they bought an ESET software).

Edited by rugk

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

Interesting... I am on an English OS (Windows 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit), have the latest English version of Smart Security installed (7.0.317.4), and I am in the United States. The "Training" option does not appear in the ESET GUI on my system. There must be something more to who has it or not...

That's a strange thing. :huh:

I think it is quite regardless of which language ESET or the OS is. It's important how you visit the website. (Maybe it's important where you have bought your license (in which country) but I don't know this)

At first you visit the website: hxxp://www.eset.com/us/download/training/

If you then select your OS, enter a username and click on 'Submit' ESET tries to locate you! If you are not located in United States, Canada or the Caribbean it shows the website I told you. That's very strange because they really don't want that other users (of other countries) use this training! You can test this and use a proxy to go from another country on this web page.

But that's not all. Then you can't use a trail username - you must buy it!

Otherwise it says: '* Trial license. The Cybersecurity Training module is available with a full version of the product'

And you must use a username of these ESET products:

post-3952-0-52783500-1402329610_thumb.png

Source: collage of screenshots of the ESET website

I also tried it with a username of ESET Multi-Device Security, but it don't work. It says: '* Invalid product. The Cybersecurity Training module works with ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus'.

Why don't say somebody of the ESET stuff or moderators something about this topic?

Edited by rugk

• Administrators

The Training section is available only for US-based users as the training is handled by ESET, LLC.

Now I already know this! But the simply questions is: Why?

Why are you suspending non-American-customers? Why is the use of this "tool" by non-amercian users (also if they bought an ESET product!) not only frowned upon but strictly forbidden?

I know it might not the best for many users (especially for those who don't speak English very well) to get a cyber training that's not in their native language, but if they really want to do this training and maybe also understand English quite good... Why do you prohibit it for them?

And there are also people outside of the USA and Canada who understand English! ;) You block the access to this training for them too!

And why I can't use an ESET Multi-Device Security to access this training?

Edited by rugk

• Former ESET Employees

This training was created by our North America office for our customers here in the US and Canada. After strong interest from customers, we asked for the training to be included in-product and this was approved. Other ESET offices have not requested this training and so the products for their region do not include it. If you’d like to see this training included either in-product for your region or on your local ESET website, please contact your local ESET distributor.

We are currently in the process of updating the training with new information, a new look, and the intention to extend it to all ESET customers worldwide. When or where this might be available has not been decided at this time, as it’s still in the very very early stages.

Thanks. That's a good answer.

If you’d like to see this training included either in-product for your region or on your local ESET website, please contact your local ESET distributor.

OK, I have done.

We are currently in the process of updating the training with new information, a new look, and the intention to extend it to all ESET customers worldwide.

I'm glad to hear it! :)

And could you please post an message if it's the time and the training is available worldwide?

And maybe could I test it right now (in English)?

Edited by rugk

• 1 month later...

Can it be that this training is also available in France? (Because I saw that the kb article is translate to French.)

So it would be really useless to provide instructions for accessing a service that you can't access (in the language that the instructions are)...

Edited by rugk

I think the language translation is there available on almost all pages, for all languages etc, depending on where you are located.

How fair would it be if you could not see what was going on in your own language.

If you look in the picture at the link, it has US in the URL.

Training was built, developed, and supported in the US and Canada area only. France does not have access either.

Maybe this is a good topic to place in the suggestions area for future versions, so that other countries can start having access.

However keep in mind, the videos that are in the training are in full English, so simply giving access would not work.

New videos would need to be created in the appropriate language.

:)

post-1101-0-74846200-1405884982_thumb.jpg

I think the language translation is there available on almost all pages, for all languages etc, depending on where you are located.

Ehm... no... just look at the right. There you can see in what language the article is available...

post-3952-0-95467100-1405886048.png

How fair would it be if you could not see what was going on in your own language.

This article is also only translated to French... So to say it in your words: It's unfair to all other ESET users, except of users in US/Canada and France.

I also don't find it unfair. Actually they can't access the training anyway... so why should they read this instruction? They can't use it! :wacko:

However keep in mind, the videos that are in the training are in full English, so simply giving access would not work.

New videos would need to be created in the appropriate language.

Yeah, but why not giving access yet? Just for the interested people... and for they they can understand English. (Like many in this forum - For many people in this forum English isn't their native language.)

But of course to made the training available to the (large) public, it is necessary to translate all the stuff...

Edited by rugk

Rugk

You cant translate a hard coded, static language in a video, its permanent.

You have to remake the video. Its the only way. You cannot translate it.

You can put subtitles at the bottom so the language can be understood, lol

You can give them access to the video easily. They wont understand it though. Its in English.

Your request is not to have it translated. It would be, please make 180 more videos in different languages lol. :wacko:

Edited by Arakasi

Yeah of course you have to remake it... (and translate all text, speech and so on)

But I don't know what videos that are. With text included or is it just the speech which have to be translated...?

And I also think that there aren't only videos in the training...

But that's the problem. I can only think... I can't test it (at my own risk that I don't understand it)

Edited by rugk

So now some questions to you to ESET. (some of them I already asked but here they are summarized.)

You had the intention to make this training available worldwide. This would be great! :)

1. Will you made this?

2. If so how will you solve the problem with the videos? Will you remake all? (or do you put subtitles into it?)

Refereed to my post before:

3. What's this strange French kb article? It's quite useless, because all Frence people which follow this article will get an error message.

And now a new question get in my mind:

4. Why not allowing access for British ESET customers? They of course can understand it. I know there are many differences between American and British English, but they would understand it...

Edited by rugk

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that I have to push this topic a bit, but my questions are still not answered!

I really don't like being ignored. :(

ESET?!