Rude and unhelpful customer support

disappointed

• Most Valued Members

the phrase "looks like a pirated key" imo doesn't seem insulting. i personally understand it as a statement that my key isn't meant for me and it's pirated.
pirated doesn't necessarily mean that it's cracked or modified, it means that it could be passed to many users as well.

although i agree that he/she could give you a link to read about the fair use of the license codes, what's allowed and what's forbidden, the representative failed to do that.

and as Marcos said "The anti-piracy system was put into action earlier this year", so it could be that you missed the chance to have your key checked by the system or somehow it wasn't checked by the servers.

in any case it would be better to call the respective customer care of your country or whatever country was you chatted with and provide feedback about your experience. they'll handle it as they know.

11 minutes ago, itman said:

In reality this is very much the case. Try arguing a cracked/misappropriated software license case with Microsoft and see where you will get.

In reality it's the opposite of what you claim, especially with Microsoft. There was a case in my country started by the government against people who downloaded pirated/cracked Windows versions. Microsoft wanted nothing to do with it and the government lost the case.

Also, several years ago (actually more like 15 years ago), Microsoft was giving out legit licenses to anyone who provided them a pirated Windows CD and disclosed where they purchased it from (i.e. you could bring a pirated Windows CD to Microsoft and they would give you a legit Windows license). This happened in my country (Lithuania), so maybe in the U.S. Microsoft's approach is very different.

Edited by disappointed

• Most Valued Members
3 minutes ago, disappointed said:

In reality it's the opposite of what you claim, especially with Microsoft. There was a case in my country started by the government against people who downloaded pirated/cracked Windows versions. Microsoft wanted nothing to do with it and the government lost the case.

Also, several years ago (actually more like 15 years ago), Microsoft was giving out legit licenses to anyone who provided them a pirated Windows CD and disclosed where they purchased it from (i.e. you could bring a pirated Windows CD to Microsoft and they would give you a legit Windows license).

In reality though most companies will not help people who have bought their products from an illegal reseller.

Again though I do agree that the person on the chat should have explained things more rather than saying that is not your license which you could read as you stole it.

I think maybe there should be a script for future when this happens to avoid any misunderstandings e.g. with the eset rep explaining that the license has been miss sold and the seller was a scammer. This should stop the victim feeling at fault or feeling they are being accused of something

Just now, peteyt said:

I think maybe there should be a script for future when this happens to avoid any misunderstandings e.g. with the eset rep explaining that the license has been miss sold and the seller was a scammer. This should stop the victim feeling at fault or feeling they are being accused of something

I agree, and like I wrote in my previous comment, all of this could have been easily avoided:

15 minutes ago, disappointed said:

This is how it SHOULD have went:

Consultant: Hello, how can I help you?
5:52:56 PMMe: Hello, I wanted to renew my ESET internet security license. On the website it's written that when renewing a license, the new license should be cheaper, but on the last step the price remains the same as when buying a new license, e.g. 92.37€ for three years.
5:53:55 PMConsultant: Can you please let me know your current key?
5:54:10 PMMe: EAV-********** [edited]
5:54:32 PMMe: License ID: ***-***-*** [edited]
5:55:18 PMConsultant: Oh no, it looks like this key was activated several times, while only being valid for one computer. This sometimes happens when key resellers sell the same key to several people.  I'm sorry this happened to you, but I'm afraid that because of that, we won't be able to apply a discount for renewal. Of course, you're still very welcome to purchase a new key from us. If you don't mind me asking, maybe you remember where you purchased the current key from?

5:52:56 PMMe: Sorry, I don't remember as it happened a long time ago. That's ok, I will buy the new key now, thanks for your help.
5:53:55 PMConsultant: No problem, have a great day!

• ESET Moderators
41 minutes ago, disappointed said:

This is how it SHOULD have went:

Consultant: Hello, how can I help you?
5:52:56 PMMe: Hello, I wanted to renew my ESET internet security license. On the website it's written that when renewing a license, the new license should be cheaper, but on the last step the price remains the same as when buying a new license, e.g. 92.37€ for three years.
5:53:55 PMConsultant: Can you please let me know your current key?
5:54:10 PMMe: EAV-********** [edited]
5:54:32 PMMe: License ID: ***-***-*** [edited]
5:55:18 PMConsultant: Oh no, it looks like this key was activated several times, while only being valid for one computer. This sometimes happens when key resellers sell the same key to several people.  I'm sorry this happened to you, but I'm afraid that because of that, we won't be able to apply a discount for renewal. Of course, you're still very welcome to purchase a new key from us. If you don't mind me asking, maybe you remember where you purchased the current key from?

5:52:56 PMMe: Sorry, I don't remember as it happened a long time ago. That's ok, I will buy the new key now, thanks for your help.
5:53:55 PMConsultant: No problem, have a great day!

What needs to be said is that local ESET offices don't see the details of the license, e.g. how many times it was activated. This info was only brought up by Marcos here, because only we at ESET HQ can access such data.

As I previously mentioned, they literally saw no information on the license, it does not exist in their system. So when a Lithuanian person approaches Lithuanian ESET office with a license that was not purchased in Lithuania (i.e. a license they don't see in the system), there is very little they can do. And they - correctly - assumed the key was pirated by someone who sold it to you.

So the conversation as you proposed it could not have happened, because they don't have the information to base it on. Instead, they explained the options based on the information available - i.e. contact the reseller who you purchased the license from, or purchase a new license in Lithuania.

We can't change what happened and you're unlucky that a non-authorized seller sold you a pirated license 2 years ago.

Now if you're still reluctant to buy from your local ESET website then you may go to one of the authorized partner by yourself and buy a physical copy of it from there and this time make sure to register the ESET license to your ESET account. An account isn't needed but it lets you see if the license you is being used on a PC or not.

https://www.eset.com/lt/platintojai/

Edited by SeriousHoax

2 hours ago, TomasP said:

What needs to be said is that local ESET offices don't see the details of the license, e.g. how many times it was activated. This info was only brought up by Marcos here, because only we at ESET HQ can access such data.

As I previously mentioned, they literally saw no information on the license, it does not exist in their system. So when a Lithuanian person approaches Lithuanian ESET office with a license that was not purchased in Lithuania (i.e. a license they don't see in the system), there is very little they can do. And they - correctly - assumed the key was pirated by someone who sold it to you.

So the conversation as you proposed it could not have happened, because they don't have the information to base it on. Instead, they explained the options based on the information available - i.e. contact the reseller who you purchased the license from, or purchase a new license in Lithuania.

The problem was that they accused me of piracy and refused to provide me information. I did want to purchase a new license in Lithuania, that's literally why I contacted them. I changed my mind because they insulted me and refused to help me.

I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

1 hour ago, SeriousHoax said:

We can't change what happened and you're unlucky that a non-authorized seller sold you a pirated license 2 years ago.

Now if you're still reluctant to buy from your local ESET website then you may go to one of the authorized partner by yourself and buy a physical copy of it from there and this time make sure to register the ESET license to your ESET account. An account isn't needed but it lets you see if the license you is being used on a PC or not.

https://www.eset.com/lt/platintojai/

Then it would be a Lithuanian key, and I would still need to deal with the rude and unhelpful Lithuanian support if I ever had any problem. That's why I wanted to purchase directly from eset.com, so I could work with someone who doesn't automatically treat me as a criminal.

To reiterate, the main point of my post was not keys, licenses, license prices, or sellers (legitimate or not), it was the rude behavior of Lithuanian ESET support representative.

Edited by disappointed

• ESET Moderators
58 minutes ago, disappointed said:

The problem was that they accused me of piracy and refused to provide me information.

We can only do so much for you, but if you won't let us explain the situation (or accept the explanation), we won't be able to get further with resolving this.

Please, let me make it clear one more time - what they said was that the license key was pirated - which it was, according to the numerous details posted earlier in this forum thread. Nowhere did they say that you pirated it, or that you were to blame of anything, nowhere did they accuse you of anything.

So I'm not sure why you yet again decided to ignore this fact and continue to claim that they accused you of piracy. They themselves told you, after they learned you believed they had accused you, that it wasn't like that.

So, once again, the piracy comment was in regards to the license and who sold it to you, not in regards to you. I hope this puts the misunderstanding behind us once and for all and that you will see there is no reason in claiming they "accused you of piracy" anymore.

As for "refused to provide me information" - again, we already explained that they provided you with all the information they had access to, they explained everything they could. Whatever new you learned about the license in this forum thread was only because we have additional access, but they didn't, so they couldn't have told you anything more, they did all they could.

It is important that you understand these facts, so that we can move forward with the actual issue, because what you claim is simply not true and it was already explained several times.

I know it can be difficult to see things from a different angle when you were angry about the approach of the customer support in Lithuania, so we are trying to help you understand that what you were angry about (accusing you od privacy) wasn't actually like it seemed to you and that it was just a misunderstanding - they were talking about the license, while you thought they were talking about you.

I'm sure with all this in mind, you can understand that the customer support team really explained the situation and your options to you the best they could and upon contacting them again, they will be happy to guide you through the purchase process.

If you'd like us to facilitate the communication and ask them to reach out to you, just let me know in a private message here on the forum, I can get ahold of them and make sure this is resolved to your satisfaction.

Many people in this very thread agreed with me that the communication of the Lithuanian ESET representative was inappropriate, and I don't understand why you STILL keep defending them and trying to argue they did nothing wrong.

They DID accuse me:

5:55:18 PMConsultant: that's not your license
5:55:39 PMConsultant: looks like a pirated key

Because it IS my license, it is active at this moment on the computer I am on, literally right now.

They refused to help me several times:

6:00:42 PMMe: Can you send me a link to information about how keys are delegated to countries? That's the first time I'm hearing about this. I registered the key using Internet Security downloaded from eset.com while being in Lithuania.
6:00:49 PMConsultant: unfortunately, we only provide information for purchases in our country.

I was asking a general question (how keys are delegated to countries), so it should have made no difference which country my previous license was purchased in. It would have made sense if I was asking for information about the license, but I was not.

6:02:56 PMMe: That's great, but I don't understand why you refuse to provide information when I am now trying to purchase the key here, and on top of that you are accusing me of piracy, when the key is clearly purchased legally. You still haven't sent me information when it would be written that it's not allowed to use a key purchased in another country in Lithuania.

Again they refused to answer my question (show where it's written that it's not allowed to use a key purchased in another country in Lithuania), and instead replied with irrelevant information that they can't renew the license, which I was not asking them about anymore.

6:03:03 PMConsultant: now you can purchase only a new license, because we can't renew that key
6:03:15 PMConsultant: eset is sold according to regions
6:03:36 PMConsultant: and we can't renew foreign license, unfortunately

6:03:44 PMMe: Show me where is says on your website that using a key purchased in another country is "piracy".
6:04:23 PMConsultant: we won't discuss this, I am only telling you what we can do

The consultant openly said "we won't discuss this" and refused to answer my question (show me where is says on your website that using a key purchased in another country is "piracy").

13 minutes ago, TomasP said:

If you'd like us to facilitate the communication and ask them to reach out to you, just let me know in a private message here on the forum, I can get ahold of them and make sure this is resolved to your satisfaction.

If you read the full thread, you can see I already purchased a new key from eset.ro, because someone in the forum advised me to use a U.S. VPN, and that's where I got redirected after using it.

But I now understand that by doing that I still voided my ability to receive support on eset.com, so the only thing I am interested right now is how to transfer or exchange that key to one from eset.com, or in any other way enable me to receive support from eset.com.

For the reasons I have explained several times, but which you refuse to accept or understand (even though several people in this thread agreed with me), I do not want anything to do with people who were rude to me (ESET Lithuania).

No disrespect, but 9 hours and 59 replies later, could you all agree that the subject has been beaten to death, and that other forum members might benefit from some attention to their issues?

• Most Valued Members

the license wasn't yours, it was bought by someone in Afghanistan as stated before and that key is used by more than 100 other persons. so, it wasn't not yours.

41 minutes ago, disappointed said:

nowhere in those sentences there's an accusation on you. it's just an observation that the key isn't originally registered on your email, rather on a completely different individual.

and i agree with Page42, 3 pages and 61 replies later, that thread has run it's course. ✌🏻️

Edited by shocked

• ESET Moderators
8 hours ago, disappointed said:

They DID accuse me:

Because it IS my license, it is active at this moment on the computer I am on, literally right now.

They did NOT accuse you. They commented on the license.

"Looks like a pirated key" - because it was, although not by you.

"That's not your license" - although you paid for it, you paid to a pirate (unknowingly), not to ESET, so you were not the person who originally bought it from ESET, thus based on information in ESET's licensing database, you are not the owner of the license, you are not the one who legally purchased it from ESET - that's what "that's not your license" means. Nothing less, nothing more.

They refused to help me several times

Although it may seem to you that way, in the end, they provided you with all the options available.

6:00:42 PMMe: Can you send me a link to information about how keys are delegated to countries? That's the first time I'm hearing about this. I registered the key using Internet Security downloaded from eset.com while being in Lithuania.

6:00:49 PMConsultant: unfortunately, we only provide information for purchases in our country.

I was asking a general question (how keys are delegated to countries), so it should have made no difference which country my previous license was purchased in. It would have made sense if I was asking for information about the license, but I was not.

They did answer this too, see:

6:03:15 PMConsultant: eset is sold according to regions
6:03:36 PMConsultant: and we can't renew foreign license, unfortunately

6:03:44 PMMe: Show me where is says on your website that using a key purchased in another country is "piracy".

Nobody said that using a key purchased in another country is piracy. Although most keys used in a different country than they were bought usually are pirated, that's not the definition. A pirated key is one that is obtained with the intention to resell it numerous times to other people, many more than the number of computers the license was originally issued for.

This is what Marcos referred to when he said we enabled antipiracy measures earlier this year - as of now, we restrict the number of activations on a given license, so this would not be possible anymore. I believe earlier you expressed desire for us to restrict the activities of pirate resellers, so you will be glad to know we already do.

6:04:23 PMConsultant: we won't discuss this, I am only telling you what we can do

I admit, this could have been phrased better, there's no denying that. At the same time, they had already provided you with all the information at that time, so there was nothing they could add. But surely, this could have been put differently.

You still haven't sent me information when it would be written that it's not allowed to use a key purchased in another country in Lithuania.

You can indeed use that key in other countries - in fact, you have been using it in Lithuania for two years, the program worked. However, when it comes to sales, support and renewal, you need to contact the entity that sold it to you.

Let me tell you an example - you buy a microwave oven from Amazon in USA. When it breaks down, or when you need anything related to it, you can't contact Amazon in Germany and ask them to provide warranty, repair, or refund - even though they operate under the same brand, they are different entities and Amazon USA sold it to you, so only Amazon USA can provide warranty, repair or refund. That does not mean you can't use the microwave in other countries, but the seller who sold it to you is the one you need to contact if anything happens.

the only thing I am interested right now is how to transfer or exchange that key to one from eset.com, or in any other way enable me to receive support from eset.com.

Similarly as with the example above, support from eset.com is for people who buy the license in the USA. For purchases in other countries, each country has its own support. They are not interchangeable. You can't get support from eset.com other than buying a license in the USA.

you can see I already purchased a new key from eset.ro, because someone in the forum advised me to use a U.S. VPN, and that's where I got redirected after using it

You were then probably using a Romanian IP address if that's where you ended up. I believe you can reach out to Romanian support and ask for a refund. If you explain the situation (you can include the link to this thread), there should be no issue - I believe you may contact them in English too.

I will go ahead and reach out to our Lithuanian partner, explain the situation, show them this thread, so they see what you thought, that you believed they accused you - I believe they will be more than happy to settle things once and for all and provide you with good support, at the time of purchase, and in the future as well.

Can you just send me privately your email address on which you can be contacted, please?

• ESET Moderators

Hello @disappointed,

As we don't have your contact information, we could not arrange for the Lithuanian support team to reach out to you, but we got in touch with them and they responded, via us:

Sorry for the inconvenience that our technical support engineer wasn't able to explain you in a proper way that the price of this license in Lithuania  is equal to 92.37€ for 3 years what is 30.79 per year.

Yes, our technical engineer communicated that it looks like “pirated”, as your name in chat and in license details was different; you couldn’t provide us with any purchase documents. So I one more time apologize for technical engineer who explained this in a way not acceptable for you.

You can get full support from the seller where you bought the license.

We would be happy to have you as our customer and provide full support if you would like to buy license with support from us.

This incident does prompt the issue of just whom is an "authorized Eset Partner." Finding that info on the web is next to impossible.

A consumer will always try to find the lowest price for any product assuming other purchase considerations are the same. In the U.S., newegg.com will run periodic sales on Eset products. Newegg is a major Internet retailer in the U.S.. I have never had an issue with purchasing an Eset license with them. However, no where on the web can I find Eset listing them as an "authorized partner." Assumed here is Eset's in-country subsidiaries do in fact have sales relationships with other sources but it appears do not want to publicly disclosed those relationships. 

In reality from what I can determine is in the U.S., the only listed Eset authorized partner is Eset themselves.

Bottom line is that it appears to me that Eset is trying to receive the highest sales price by redirecting to their own internal in-country web sites. Also all the above is why individuals end up purchasing a license from an unauthorized source.

• ESET Moderators

Unlike companies like Microsoft, ESET operates on the base of partnership. Therefore, with the exception of a few countries, ESET does not have its own presence on the market, but is instead represented by a local company that has the rights to distribute the products and use the logo, name, domain, trademarks, etc.

These companies then can sell the products themselves, as well as via a network of resellers - the prices are generally the same, so it does not matter whether the customer buys the license from ESET's website, or an authorized reseller. The redirection is not done to ESET's website from the reseller's website, but only from other country's ESET website to the customer's local ESET website - and that is to ensure each customer can get support in their own local language, which is something ESET takes pride in.

The resellers may be listed on the local ESET website, so that they can be checked by prospective customers, but in other countries, this may be done differently to fit the situation or local customs.

As for Slovakia, where ESET HQ is located, we have the list published at https://www.eset.com/sk/firemna-it-bezpecnost/partnerstvo/kraje/ (it is even broken down by regions).

Buying from these resellers guarantees the license is genuine and there is no shady activity involved. Buying from other resellers may still turn out okay, provided they obtained the license in the same country and don't resell it multiple times, but that is a risk we do not recommend taking. (Also, the unauthorized reseller is breaking the product's EULA, as they are not allowed to further sell the license).

Suspiciously low-priced licenses are always indicators of piracy, as they tend to be purchased in countries where the prices are lower, copying the buying power of that market, and then resold without ESET's authorization elsewhere, most often to several people at the same time too. When ESET is made aware of such licenses, they may be deactivated without prior notice.

A good indication of a trusted reseller is that when you purchase the license, you obtain a license key that you can register yourself in ESET's systems under your own name and email address. Unauthorized resellers generally don't have access to such "blank" licenses, so they register the license under their own name and email and only provide you with the license key to use in the product, but you can't register it on ESET's website as your own, because it was already registered by the reseller. Therefore, in ESET's database, the reseller is the rightful owner who may use the license, not you.

Sorry if this was too technical or too long, I just wanted to explain the licensing and sales model properly, so that it is understood well by everybody.

9 hours ago, TomasP said:

Let me tell you an example - you buy a microwave oven from Amazon in USA. When it breaks down, or when you need anything related to it, you can't contact Amazon in Germany and ask them to provide warranty, repair, or refund - even though they operate under the same brand, they are different entities and Amazon USA sold it to you, so only Amazon USA can provide warranty, repair or refund. That does not mean you can't use the microwave in other countries, but the seller who sold it to you is the one you need to contact if anything happens.

That's because Amazon is a seller, not a manufacturer of the microwave. It I bought Windows, it doesn't matter where I bought it or who I bought it from, as long as the key is legit, I can always contact Microsoft directly and get support from them directly. Microsoft would never tell me to "contact the seller to receive support for Windows".

After your explanation, I understand that ESET works differently, but such approach is very user-unfriendly, especially because you do not allow someone from Lithuania to purchase a key directly from you. So if I want to purchase an ESET product with an ability to receive support directly from ESET and not from (re)seller there's literally no way for me to do that.

As you have explained to me that I would be able to receive support in English from ESET Romania, and I can legally use the key purchased from them in Lithuania, I have decided to keep and use that key.

• Most Valued Members

actually Microsoft will refuse support or at least free support if the key isn't bought directly from them.

Eg. if your Dell/HP/Asus etc., laptop came preinstalled with Windows, MS will ask you to contact the manufacturer for support even if the OS isn't made by that third company.

(at least that what i remember a few years back.)

Edited by shocked

• Most Valued Members
32 minutes ago, disappointed said:

especially because you do not allow someone from Lithuania to purchase a key directly from you

i believe they do allow it.

35 minutes ago, disappointed said:

That's because Amazon is a seller, not a manufacturer of the microwave. It I bought Windows, it doesn't matter where I bought it or who I bought it from, as long as the key is legit, I can always contact Microsoft directly and get support from them directly. Microsoft would never tell me to "contact the seller to receive support for Windows".

To add to this, I believe Eset is the only AV vendor I know of that has this "goofy" in-country affiliate tech support, etc. requirement.

In many ways all this reminds me of "fly-by-night" franchise operators who "sluff off" all operational aspects to the franchisees.

Another reason below why individuals detest using the AV vendor for renewal purposes:

I would like to be contacted by management.  I have turned off auto pay the last two years and eset has turned it back on and charged me for an update.   I would like to report this as theft.   I buy security so I won't be stolen from.  I am very upset and find your company's behavior a scam. 

https://forum.eset.com/topic/25965-autopay-issue/

Edited by itman

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, itman said:

Another reason below why individuals detest using the AV vendor for renewal purposes:

Autorenewal is activated only in the US and maybe some other countries and only if the user agrees with it. Therefore I recommended to contact ESET LLC to investigate what happened.

23 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Autorenewal is activated only in the US and maybe some other countries and only if the user agrees with it. Therefore I recommended to contact ESET LLC to investigate what happened.

In the U.S. and Canada, auto pay is activated by default

If you recently made a purchase from the ESET eStore (eset.com/us/ or eset.com/ca/), auto-pay may be activated for your ESET licenses.

You them must manually opt-out of auto pay:

Anytime after your purchase, you can opt out of auto-pay from your ESET eStore My Account page.

Access your account settings from the US eStore My Account or Canada eStore My Account and next to the license you want to turn off Subscriptions, click Turn off auto-pay.

You will only be able to see your product licenses that are eligible for auto-pay.

Ref.: https://support.eset.com/en/kb6205-manage-auto-pay-settings-for-your-eset-licenses-us-and-canada-customers-only

All the above is "ass backwards." Auto pay should only be enabled manually by the purchaser. Further and in regards to the recent forum posting on the subject, the purchaser did manually disable auto pay. However, he found it was "mysteriously" re-enabled and he was charged for a license renewal he did not want or consent to.

Additionally, Eset should not be permanently retaining in any form a purchaser's credit card information without their specific consent. In other words, Eset's purchase web site should be allowing for one-time anonymous purchase activity.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

First of all, I don't work for ESET LLC so I don't know any details about autopay.

According to the KB:
1, Anytime after your purchase, you can opt out of auto-pay from your ESET eStore My Account page.
2, The auto-pay agreement is available on the eStore cart page and will be emailed to you after submitting your order.

That said, autopay doesn't activate without user's knowledge and can be turned off at any time. Also I'm quite positive that ESET LLC would not store any sensitive information about users' credit cards. I will ask somebody from ESET LLC to provide an official statement here.

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

Also I'm quite positive that ESET LLC would not store any sensitive information about users' credit cards. I will ask somebody from ESET LLC to provide an official statement here.

It would be impossible to perform an auto renewal without credit card data on file.

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

1, Anytime after your purchase, you can opt out of auto-pay from your ESET eStore My Account page.

The issue is I don't want to create an Eset estore My Account to be able to perform a software purchase! Every e-tailer I have used in the U.S. supports one-time credit purchasing. Credit card validation is done only but no data on it is retained by the seller.