Pre-release 14.0.21 Update Trashed Win 10 Security Center

This is definitely the weirdest Eset behavior I have seen.

To begin, I was on pre-release updates. I had previously had ver. 14 installed but can't remember what that release was.

Half an hour ago, I get an Eset alert that I have an update for ver. 14.0.21 pending and reboot required. Did the reboot and "all hell broke loose" after the boot. Could tell right away that Windows Defender was trying to initialize itself. Afterwards, I checked Win 10 2004 Security Center. Sure enough, WD was set to real-time protection and the Win firewall was the active firewall. What the .........

Did another reboot and nothing changed. Pondering how to fix this mess, I switched to regular updates in Eset GUI. After the modules updated, Win 10 Security Center now fixed in that Eset showed as active real-time protection and firewall. Now for the weirdest part. Eset version still shows 14.0.21. What the .............!

Rebooted one more time to verify all is back to normal Security Center-wise and it is.

Will remain on regular Eset updating; at least for a while.

-EDIT- Checking the Eset log, the ver. 14 installed prior to this bork update was 14.0.19.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders

I don't think going back to regular updates will take you back to v13 if that's what you were expecting. It likely just re-downloaded the modules from the regular updates channel. I guess time will tell if this was a one off or a major issue.

1 hour ago, xxJackxx said:

I don't think going back to regular updates will take you back to v13 if that's what you were expecting.

Correct. But I expected it would have reverted to ver. 14.0.19 which was installed prior to the update.

6 hours ago, JozefG said:

@itman Was there any OS updates waiting for restart?

No.

However, I did have the Eset GUI open at the time I received the Eset product pending upgrade notification. I was in the process of modifying existing firewall rules. Suspect that the Eset GUI being opened had something to do with this.

6 hours ago, JozefG said:

What version of Security center integration module did you have at the time of upgrade?

If you are referring to the module ver. prior 14.0.21 upgrade, I obviously can't give that since what is currently installed is indeed ver. 14.0.21. However, the pre-release ver. installed prior to the upgrade was 14.0.19.

Note: ver. 14.0.21 is still currently installed in regular update mode and is running fine. It is receiving periodic sig. definition updates w/o issue. Win Security Center still retains Eset as firewall and real-time solution. Win Defender is not running.

Edited by itman

I have problems with the Windows Security Center, there is no status query of the Eset IS v 14 possible, with vers. 13 communication between the security center and Eset worked without problems.

1 minute ago, Pepestift said:

I have problems with the Windows Security Center, there is no status query of the Eset IS v 14 possible, with vers. 13 communication between the security center and Eset worked without problems.

Were you on Eset pre-release updating when Eset was updated to ver. 14?

• ESET Staff

@Pepestift If the problem still persists please turn on Enable Kernel advanced logging setting. Run update or reboot.

Note that Security center service has delayed start so let it sit for a while.

Turn off logging and provide ETL logs from Diagnostics folder.

@itman there was new Security Center integration module released Tuesday afternoon to all channels. It is possible that you got it after installation of 14.0.21.0

On 10/22/2020 at 8:37 PM, itman said:

Were you on Eset pre-release updating when Eset was updated to ver. 14?

Today the communication between Eset and the Security Center works, although I restarted the PC several times yesterday, it didn't work, today it works. I updated Eset ver. 14 directly from vers 13. Thank you for your prompt reply.

12 hours ago, JozefG said:

@itman there was new Security Center integration module released Tuesday afternoon to all channels. It is possible that you got it after installation of 14.0.21.0

Here's the status.

When I was on pre-release updating and after the 14.0.21 update, WSC module ver. was 1026.1 dated 10/20.

After switching to regular updating which also fixed the WSC issues, the WSC module ver. remained at 1026.1 dated 10/20.

As such, whatever occurred on my device was relate to the existing pre-release installation. This is also not the first time I have had Eset product updating issues when on pre-release updating. I will remain on normal updating for the foreseeable future.

14.0.21.0 installed last night, W10 security center shows that ESET is off. Task manager shows otherwise, so I'm not worried but it does not look good.

Dell G3 running Win10 home 19041.572

(should I be worried?)

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Squawkbert said:

14.0.21.0 installed last night, W10 security center shows that ESET is off. Task manager shows otherwise, so I'm not worried but it does not look good.

Dell G3 running Win10 home 19041.572

(should I be worried?)

Please carry on as follows:
- under Help and support -> Details for customer care, enable advanced logging
- reboot the machine
- disable logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

1 hour ago, Squawkbert said:

working on this... How long should it take to come up with these logs?

Is it hours? 'cause this has been running all morning... Does it need WWW access, because I'm running a VPN too?

• Most Valued Members

there's a possibility that a normal restart isn't working due to the "fast startup" feature of windows 8 and later.

Windows keep a portion of the kernel always loaded on the hdd to save time during the boot process.

upon installing v14.0.22.0 some shields were disabled, but after performing a restart via the CMD, everything runs fine now.

may i suggest you all try opening the CMD (no need for admin rights), then type this shutdown.exe /r

this will perform a full shutdown and reboot of the computer.

just a thought.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Squawkbert said:

Is it hours? 'cause this has been running all morning... Does it need WWW access, because I'm running a VPN too?

Unfortunately it's not clear what you are referring to. Collecting logs with ESET Log Collector takes a few minutes at maximum.

18 hours ago, shocked said:

there's a possibility that a normal restart isn't working due to the "fast startup" feature of windows 8 and later.

Windows keep a portion of the kernel always loaded on the hdd to save time during the boot process.

upon installing v14.0.22.0 some shields were disabled, but after performing a restart via the CMD, everything runs fine now.

Actually, Win 8.1/10 fast startup feature only applies when the PC was previously shutdown.

When a Win 8.1/10 restart is performed via Start menu option or via program directive as done after select Win Updates, Eset product upgrade processing, etc., Win normal startup processing is performed. The fast startup feature is bypassed in this instance.

Edited by itman