Jump to content

Remote Deployment Tool says installation succeeded but nothing actually installed


Go to solution Solved by Unotel,

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I am trying to deploy ESET Endpoint Protection domain-wide (local domain) using the Remote Deployment Tool provided by Eset.

Here are the steps I took:

  1. Created an AIO installer from my ESET ECA page and downloaded it
  2. Downloaded the Remote Deployment Tool
  3. Moved the AIO installer on a share that all computers have access to in case that matters
  4. Followed the steps in the RDT and selected a test computer using the Active Directory method
  5. For the deployment method I selected "Built-in"

Result:

The installation status goes through the following steps :

Copying Installer Bundle ->Copying Installer service ->  Installer Service is Running -> Success

But nothing was installed on the computer.

I re-run the RDT and targetted a different computer but that failed to.

I then chose a different computer selection method (hostname and IP instead of AD) and used PSExec as the deployment method instead of the Built-In one; it once again gave me a "Success" status but nothing happened.

Has anyone experienced this before? My Google-fu failed me.

Additionally, I'm all ears if there's a different remote deployment method you can suggest. I found an .msi installation I could use, but when I listed it's command line switches, there was no flag for a license.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ESET Staff

Probably not related, but why would you copy downloaded EXE installer to network share? Remote deployment tool is capaple of copying installer to target machine, so it just has to be accessible for Remote deployment tool when initiating deployment process.

Regarding deployment failure itself, would it be possible to test to run live installer manually on selected device, to verify that it works correctly when executed locally/manually? Is there actually any ESET product already installed on target machines? Or when you mentioned that "nothing happened", you mean that no ESET product was installed on target machine, or that you do not see new device in console?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Solution
12 hours ago, MartinK said:

Probably not related, but why would you copy downloaded EXE installer to network share? Remote deployment tool is capaple of copying installer to target machine, so it just has to be accessible for Remote deployment tool when initiating deployment process.

Regarding deployment failure itself, would it be possible to test to run live installer manually on selected device, to verify that it works correctly when executed locally/manually? Is there actually any ESET product already installed on target machines? Or when you mentioned that "nothing happened", you mean that no ESET product was installed on target machine, or that you do not see new device in console?

 

The only reason I copied it on the network share was because I was not 100% certain if RDT is able to copy it or not and I was just testing the software before the company-wide rollout.

Absolutely nothing happened. The tool gave me a Success status but nothing was happening on the client computer itself, including no devices on the ECA page.

I ended up just figuring it out and it was an error on my end. I trusted the tool when it told me it was successful and didn't think about running Wireshasrk to see what was going on. 

So after running Wireshark today I noticed that I was getting some HTTP errors thrown around when the tool was trying to download the executable (agent and the software itself) on the client machine. Upon further inspection, it was a firewall rule on the Sophos appliance that was causing the errors.

Lesson learned I guess, never rely 100% on automation tools and always do your own manual troubleshooting first.

My apologies for the inconvenience

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ESET Staff
2 hours ago, Unotel said:

The only reason I copied it on the network share was because I was not 100% certain if RDT is able to copy it or not and I was just testing the software before the company-wide rollout.

Absolutely nothing happened. The tool gave me a Success status but nothing was happening on the client computer itself, including no devices on the ECA page.

I ended up just figuring it out and it was an error on my end. I trusted the tool when it told me it was successful and didn't think about running Wireshasrk to see what was going on. 

So after running Wireshark today I noticed that I was getting some HTTP errors thrown around when the tool was trying to download the executable (agent and the software itself) on the client machine. Upon further inspection, it was a firewall rule on the Sophos appliance that was causing the errors.

Lesson learned I guess, never rely 100% on automation tools and always do your own manual troubleshooting first.

My apologies for the inconvenience

Thanks for letting us know. We will probably also check why success was reported even on failure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...