Secure browser functionality is very patchy.

Hi guys.

We have Internet Security 13.2.18.0 in on two separate machines, one Win10 and the other Win7, both using Chrome and both have this same problem.  Very occasionally we may get a potentially vulnerable site opening in a secure browser via Eset.  Most of the time we do not get that and the site opens in the current instance of Chrome.  This is for obvious monetary sites like Paypal and Halifax Banking etc.  Sites are accessed from Lastpass password manager.  (Yes, it's going in favour of Eset's manager as soon as the current licences run out and I upgrade).

I searched in the forum and found a reference to unticking "Setup -> Security Tools -> Advanced Setup -> Web & Email ->SSL TLS '+' -> Exclude Communication With Trusted Domains".  I assume this will allow Eset to tell me when it was setting up the Secure Browser system?  Others say this cured the issue for them but this has made no difference to me.  When we access say Halifax's login site we simply get it opening in the current instance of Chrome with no signs of a secure browser setup.  I have checked and the correct matching URL is listed in the Eset whitelist under "Setup -> Security Tools -> Banking & Payment Protection (Cogwheel)", and that item has its "Secured Browser" option selected in the list. 

I would be grateful if someone can point me at what I could be missing?

• Administrators
8 hours ago, pipes said:

Why does Waterfox not work? A popular browser.

Please do not hijack someone else's topics. Mixing different things in one topic is not a good practice. Please always create a new topic if you have a question unrelated to what is being discussed.

As to your question, please read https://help.eset.com/glossary/en-US/technology_online_protection.html:

The use of HTTPS encrypted communication is necessary to perform protected browsing. To use secure browsing, your internet browser should satisfy the minimum requirements listed below:

•Internet Explorer 8.0.0.0
•Microsoft Edge 83.0.0.0
•Google Chrome 64.0.0.0
•Firefox 24.0.0.0

Other browsers are not supported either because it's technically not possible or they are not popular enough among our users. You can contact your local ESET support with your request. The more users request it, the more likely we'll support it unless there are technical obstacles.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Bordonbert said:

Very occasionally we may get a potentially vulnerable site opening in a secure browser via Eset. 

That should not happen. Do you mean that if you attempt to open an Internet banking website in the secured browser a different potentially malicious page opens in the secured browser instead?

11 hours ago, Bordonbert said:

Then we access say Halifax's login site we simply get it opening in the current instance of Chrome with no signs of a secure browser setup. 

Please provide the url of the Internet banking page, we'll check if it's supposed to open in the secured browser.

15 hours ago, Bordonbert said:

Very occasionally we may get a potentially vulnerable site opening in a secure browser via Eset. 

Are you referring to warnings like these:

Get warnings about dangerous and deceptive content

Phishing and malware detection is turned on by default. When it's turned on, you might see the following messages. If you see one of these messages, we recommend that you don't visit the site.

• The site ahead contains malware: The site that you want to visit might try to install bad software, called malware, on your computer.
  • Deceptive site ahead: The site that you want to visit might be a phishing site.
  • Suspicious site: The site that you want to visit seems suspicious and may not be safe. 
  • The site ahead contains harmful programs: The site that you want to visit might try to trick you into installing programs that cause problems when you’re browsing online.
  • This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources: The site that you  want to visit isn't secure.
  • Did you mean [site name]? or Is this the right site?: The site that you want to visit may try to confuse you, and may not be the site that you meant to visit.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/99020?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en-GB

If so, these are being generated from the Chrome browser itself.

Eset Banking & Payment Protection option should not be used for normal browser activities. It is designed to be used only on vetted banking and financial web sites.

Edited by itman

11 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please do not hijack someone else's topics. Mixing different things in one topic is not a good practice. Please always create a new topic if you have a question unrelated to what is being discussed.

So sorry. 🙃