planned software upgrade via ESMC

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what is your approach for keeping machines up to date. How do you setup planned triggering for updates rollout?

I have around 500 endpoint devices and I would prefer doing it gradually spread this to batches and and batches during hours to not kill management center or network.

I setup as on attached pictures but this doesn't seems to be doing anything at all. 

I think reason why this won't work is I have not setup Advanced Settings - Throttling but I can't find explanation how this work (examples).2094081270_Screenshot2020-10-13220532.png.808b90a89282806654f2084b6953629c.png170555755_Screenshot2020-10-13220631.png.4fec24b6399fda9ec38ca5475671e2c1.png

Thanks for any input on this.

• Administrators

How do you download updates? Do the clients connect directly to the Internet and download updates from ESET's servers or you use an http proxy, or update from a local mirror? If you use an http proxy, it will cache the installer once it has been downloaded so other clients will get it from the local cache.

8 minutes ago, Marcos said:

How do you download updates? Do the clients connect directly to the Internet and download updates from ESET's servers or you use an http proxy, or update from a local mirror? If you use an http proxy, it will cache the installer once it has been downloaded so other clients will get it from the local cache.

It is via Eset's server. Can you tell how would does throttling work?

• Administrators

Throttling can be set for tasks that are run repeatedly (daily, weekly, etc.) but you don't want Endpoint to update to the same version repeatedly.

Therefore I'd recommend creating a dynamic group with machines that have an older version of Endpoint installed. You can then send a software install task to a bunch of the clients and repeat this until all clients disappear from the dynamic group.

I've created template but not sure how long it takes for ESMC to find all devices matching rules unless this is not right place to find it that list? 

image.png.9f750540938225d2e0a0de415d776270.png

Dynamic groups show computers as soon as a computer ESET agent talks on each machine, assuming your Dynamic template rule is working. So active talking computers will show as soon as they talk to the ESET server. Offline computers won't show in the dynamic group.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, JANNEZ said:

I've created template but not sure how long it takes for ESMC to find all devices matching rules unless this is not right place to find it that list?

After you create a dynamic group in the ESMC console, the agent must connect to the ESMC server (among others it also retrieves a list of dynamic groups), then it evaluates membership in DG and sends information about its membership in DG the next time it connects to the ESMC server.

Thank you both for your input on this. 

I think I'm close to what I need to setup.

Are there requirements for any server tasks that need to be running to make this work?

How long approximately can this take to have results for dynamic groups?

How do you target dynamic groups with tasks? Are you assigning tags to them? 

Thank you

Edited by JANNEZ

• Administrators

By default agents connect to the ESMC in 1 min. intervals (can be changed in agent policy) so you should see computers in a dynamic group within 2-3 minutes after it's been created.

You can assign a task to a dynamic group by clicking the cog wheel next to the group name and selecting Tasks -> New task (or Run task or Last used tasks).