Now that ESS/P is on v13...

Have they made any improvements to the Firewall Edit Rules to be more user friendly on the eyes in terms of readability? Seems not much has changed for it since the v11 if not before days.

v13?:

post-1030-0-22873400-1444507116.jpg.11def953c7707d2c6a5f72a01cfadf03.jpg

v8 Classic:

2020-10-08_021152.jpg.4c21fe7953e0c160132be935805f1535.jpg

I know that the new Firewall Edit Rules feature is inherently better in terms of functionality once you're manually adjusting rule sets for each communication line but the old v8 keeps everything on screen with less bloat and text cut off. Why not combine the two? I think average users identify better with icon imagery and text they recognize like just the app name itself as shown in v8. Why not combine that factor and incorporate the features shown in v13 once you expand the tree view for that app name/app.exe alone? Makes scrolling through rules easier to recognize what rule you're looking for on which particular app instead of having to look at every allow/deny executable names (like sifting through hundred of images).

Another great feature from the classic v8 is that once an app is uninstalled, the leftover rule/s removes the app icon (Diablo 3 in this case) and shows the executable name instead so you know which app is no longer installed on the PC and can easily be removed/cleaned up with a simple press of Del. I've requested this since the beginning of the new interface days but it seems nothing really has improved/changed since then and why I am still on v8 with up-to-date signatures in place.

2020-10-08_023020.jpg.65dd33e4d7aebd7d8decdbd51c9c2e98.jpg

Edited by Morisato

Bah! The new limitations on how long you can edit your threads/posts sucks. Don't recall this happening in the older forum days.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Morisato said:

Bah! The new limitations on how long you can edit your threads/posts sucks. Don't recall this happening in the older forum days.

That's a security feature to prevent new posts from being misused by new users who used to edit them and added links to dubious websites.

As for firewall rules, we keep that on mind and will do our best to improve UX for v15. We highly appreciate any constructive feedback.

11 minutes ago, Marcos said:

That's a security feature to prevent new posts from being misused by new users who used to edit them and added links to dubious websites.

As for firewall rules, we keep that on mind and will do our best to improve UX for v15. We highly appreciate any constructive feedback.

Thx Marcos but I am not really holding my breath on it since we've talked about this once before but it has been ages since then 😛. I will keep on hoping though since v15 is still some time away and I am guessing v14 is in perhaps beta or the Insiders tester team haven't started on it yet. I really want to upgrade from the aging ancient v8 and transfer my rules over to v15. I'll probably have to do it soon anyway since v8 won't work on W10 I think.

Okay, I get the security for new users but I ain't no new user. I've been here since 2013 as stated in the Joined. I just haven't posted in a long time is all (good thing you don't prune old inactive accounts).

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Morisato said:

Okay, I get the security for new users but I ain't no new user. I've been here since 2013 as stated in the Joined. I just haven't posted in a long time is all (good thing you don't prune old inactive accounts).

Looking at the forum setup, any members have 5 minutes to edit their posts, only the most valued users have editing posts unlimited. If users want to change or add something to an existing but locked post, they can post it in a new reply.

• Most Valued Members

I know I've mentioned this before but would it take a lot of work just to remove the "alllow rule for" part. I know having the icons of the app is handy but might not look right with the metro design but having just the name as program.exe would be a start. As the op has stated there is already a column telling you if the rule is allowed or denied so this part doesn't really make any sense as an option or design choice