How to set email protection for outlook.com (former hotmail)

novice

Hi,

I am using Outlook.com (former Hotmail)

Does the email client protection apply to me?

If Yes, how should I set it up? I am going to see some "ESET presence" ( icon, toolbar, something) on my email page?

Thanks!

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Are you viewing the email in your web browser, or downloading it from Outlook.Com into an email client like Thunderbird, Outlook 2013, and so forth?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi Aryeh Goretsky,

I am viewing it in my browser (IE11)

Thanks!

Edited by novice

• Administrators

Disabling email protection won't save any resources, it's not necessary to do that even if you don't use any email client. Email downloaded via HTTP(S) will be scanned by web protection (HTTPS only with SSL scanning enabled).

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

Several off-topic posts have been removed.

The email protection module in ESET NOD32 Antivirus is to allow the software to scan for threats in messages that may be downloaded by an email client such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird and other email clients.

If you used a webmail-based system, then the scanning of messages for threats will occur via the web protection module.

Even if you do not have have an email client like Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, et al installed, it is okay to leave email protection module enabled in ESET NOD32 Antivirus, as it will not consume any additional resources or otherwise affect the performance, reliability, integrity or availability of the computer.

Personally, I would suggest leaving it enabled all the time, even if the computer does not have an email client installed. That way, if one does get installed some day, ESET NOD32 Antivirus will be able to start scanning messages for threats immediately without having to reconfigure the software.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi Aryeh Goretsky,

Thank you for your answer, but.........after 18 days????

Only by chance I noticed your answer.

Thanks,

Aryeh pick up threads that have fallen between the chairs so to speak. And I agree with everything Aryeh (and Marcos) said in their posts, so no you don't need to disable email client protection. It feels like we talk about this in another thread not that long ago, maybe it was this one and some of the discussion were part of the removed off-topic posts.

Anyways, all you need to know is in Aryeh's post. :)

Edited by SweX

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I come in here to help out as often as I can, but I'm not part of ESET's support organization, so that time has to come between my regularly assigned activities. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi Aryeh Goretsky,

Thank you for your answer, but.........after 18 days????

Only by chance I noticed your answer.

Thanks,