The very nice folks at Eset have told me that my Win 7 32bit OS is out the window.

Liberatchik

They told me that my product will "soon lose protection" and to verify that "you have installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) with latest Windows updates (at least KB4474419 and KB4490628)".

When I d/l those KBs and installed them it hosed my PC totally, prevented it from booting and displayed an unhelpful microsoft boot error screen. Nice one, thank you.

My system has been running well for years and I'm not about to jump through microsoft's planned-redundancy obstacle course. This may mean that I have to end my relationship with Eset, take my PC offline and look for other means to say safe.

It's been good to know you Eset.

• Administrators

Since SHA-1 code signing support was discontinued throughout the IT industry due to security weakness, all vendors are moving to SHA-2. That said, SHA-2 support will become mandatory soon and there won't be any current version of antivirus that will work on non-SHA2 compliant operating systems. It was not the choice of ESET.

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, Liberatchik said:

They told me that my product will "soon lose protection" and to verify that "you have installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) with latest Windows updates (at least KB4474419 and KB4490628)".

When I d/l those KBs and installed them it hosed my PC totally, prevented it from booting and displayed an unhelpful microsoft boot error screen. Nice one, thank you.

My system has been running well for years and I'm not about to jump through microsoft's planned-redundancy obstacle course. This may mean that I have to end my relationship with Eset, take my PC offline and look for other means to say safe.

It's been good to know you Eset.

As Marcos has mentioned all AVs will need this update. This isn't an Eset issue as such. Also while I get many have issues with Windows 10 e.g. privacy concerns, as OS's get discontinued they stop receiving fixes and become vulnerable. I've always compared using an old AV with an unsupported unpatched OS like having a high tech prison that has a massive hole in the fence, something could get through.

It's a sad situation. I think there are tools to block windows 10 privacy stuff but the risk is in blocking important stuff

• Most Valued Members

at the very least you can purchase a windows 8.1 key from a reliable vendor in your country, assuming they still have some spare copies or you can try to format your pc and reinstall win 7 if you have original disc.

with this link you can download the original windows iso if you have a key bought directly from microsoft.

otherwise you can contact your pc manufacturer and kindly ask for a recovery disc and if they're willing to provide one, you can reinstall the OS.

there are many tools to help you locate your serial key if you misplaced it.

FYI

No Boot issues reported for Windows 7 machines after installing KB4490628

Multiple partners have reported issues of no boot for Windows 7 machines after the installation of servicing stack update, which is one of the security patch KB4490628 and requires reboot. During this restart, end users may find their machines stuck at a particular stage and see a "Stage 2 of 2" or "Stage 3 of 3" message. If you experience this issue, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to continue to log on. This should occur only one time and does not prevent updates from installing successfully.

It is advisable not to turn off machines, in our diagnostics so far powering off the machines may lead to a no boot situation. We would encourage partners to spread this awareness to the end clients and modify their patch policies to hold the automated reboots.

Our research team is working on finding options to uninstall the particular KB from machines that are not rebooted yet and the possibility to blacklist it temporarily. We will keep you updated on the progress.

https://www.reddit.com/r/msp/comments/b660m8/blue_screen_of_death/

Also there have been reports that BSOD's were caused by existing driver issues after installing these updates. So all drivers; especially video drivers, should be updated to latest versions prior to installing these updates:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/security-update-2019-03-windows-7-causing-blue/6398adc5-d14f-4409-8277-6e8b46181fa2

https://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/419195-i-need-help-bsod-start-up-unless-f8-last-known-good-configuration.html

Again this is not an Eset issue. Eset is only responding to what Microsoft has dictated.

Also anyone currently on Win 7 needs to upgrade their OS. Win 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft and even third party support of Win 7 is becoming non-existent.

Edited by itman