Internal / External Update Download

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

I have for example ESET internal server 192.168.1.20.

But what about outside the company? 

Question: I Want to know if by default being outside the company The Client will go to ESET.COM to check for updates if Local Server isn't found? 

I know that there is an option to config. it but  i dont want to put hands on it. if it's already "automatically".

Thanks!

Versions:

ESET Security Management Center (Server), Versión 7.2 (7.2.1278.0)
ESET Security Management Center (Consola web), Versión 7.2 (7.2.230.0)

Edited by Scytale
Server Version Added

• Administrators
  • Solution

If speaking about module updates, we recommend using an http proxy to cache update files and update from ESET's servers. Then you could enable direct connection if the proxy is not available in the advanced setup -> tools -> proxy server. As a result, when the machines are in your company's network they will update from ESET's servers through the proxy. If they are roaming they will update directly from ESET's servers.

16 hours ago, Marcos said:

If speaking about module updates, we recommend using an http proxy to cache update files and update from ESET's servers. Then you could enable direct connection if the proxy is not available in the advanced setup -> tools -> proxy server. As a result, when the machines are in your company's network they will update from ESET's servers through the proxy. If they are roaming they will update directly from ESET's servers.

1.- By default when you send Install Client Order through ESMC his config says SEVER.INTERNAL.LAN address.  Port 2222

2.- Or when you make a ALL in One Client the config also points automatically to SERVER.INTERNAL.LAN Port 2222

What happends if the server it's outside the company, it don't find SERVER.INTERNAL.LAN

Does it automatically will go to ESET via INTERNET? that's my question...

I don't want to config any proxy.
Thanks in advice

• Administrators

If the ESMC server is not reachable then clients will not be able to connect. Is the IP address of the server not reachable from clients either?

We offer also cloud solutions, in particular ESET Cloud Administrator for clients with up to 250 users and this cloud solution will be extended to a true ESMC cloud later this year.

18 hours ago, Marcos said:

I was confused at first when readed "Proxy" I said, Why do I need a Proxy? you were refering to the server itself.

This is what I needed to know, (Proxy was already configured) so It was working as intended, Im making some test now, to check if a laptop updates from outside.

Thanks!!

• Administrators

The Client will go to ESET.COM to check for updates if Local Server isn't found?

Initially you mentioned updates so I assumed you meant module updates, not the communication with the ESMC server.

In case of module updates we recommend using an http proxy to cache update files. When clients are roaming they will connect directly to ESET's update server to get updates.

As for the communication with the ESMC server, it must be accessible from the Internet in order for both clients from inside and outside the company to be able to access it. It can be accomplished by putting the server to DMZ or to move the server to cloud, or to use ESET Cloud Administrator instead of ESMC (would require a license update).

21 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Initially you mentioned updates so I assumed you meant module updates, not the communication with the ESMC server.

In case of module updates we recommend using an http proxy to cache update files. When clients are roaming they will connect directly to ESET's update server to get updates.

As for the communication with the ESMC server, it must be accessible from the Internet in order for both clients from inside and outside the company to be able to access it. It can be accomplished by putting the server to DMZ or to move the server to cloud, or to use ESET Cloud Administrator instead of ESMC (would require a license update).

I think I'm Ok now, just have to try it.
Yeah, I was talking about updates only.

I don't need communication from the agents outside, only client for updates.

Thanks a lot.