Upgrading normal ERA 6.5.522.0 MS SQL-based to ESMC VA (MySQL-based) possible?

Go to solution Solved by MartinK,

Hello,

we've got an ERA 6.5.522.0 installation on Windows, that was originally performed with Microsoft SQL. Since we had to upgrade to ESMC 7.x, we were considering upgrading to a ESMC VA appliance (which is MySQL-based). Is such an upgrade possible? That is, can an ERA 6.5 MS-SQL backup be converted properly for import to a 7.x MySQL database?

In that case, how would one go to update from 32-bit ERA 6.5 to 64-bit ESMC? Can I backup the database and certificates, and feed them into a 7.1 installation?

• Administrators

Please follow the instructions for the migration scenario Clean Installation - different IP address  - The new installation does not use the previous database from the old ESMC Server and has a different IP address in https://support.eset.com/en/kb6729-certificate-migration-in-eset-security-management-center-7x.

Please forgive me, I'm not sure that understand what you mean by stating that the new installation will not use the previous database (from the existing ERA server). Does this mean that we'll have to re-created policies/dynamic groups etc?

EDIT: Strike that out, I understood what you meant. Would that work in a scenario using an ESMC VA appliance as the new system?

One more: if I understand correctly, with this procedure we'll be creating an entirely new (new ip etc) infrastructure, on which clients will "respect" as the new ESMC. However, custom static and dynamic groups, policies and templates will not be recreated on the new ESMC. Is that correct? If so, is there a less painful way to proceed, even if it utilizes a new ESMC on WIndows 64-bit?

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

As mentioned previously, it is not possible to migrate database content directly, so re-installation has to be made. In case of larger network, it might be good idea to install new server in a way that clients are able to connect to it. It is described as Clean Installation - same IP address.

Technically what will happen is that once migration is done and server are swapped on the same IP address / hostname, clients will start to connect to new server.

Regarding computers hierarchy, policies, dynamic group templates, report templates - those objects do support export and import, so they can be transferred between old and new server at least manually, but in case of such large environment, I would recommend to test this prior to swapping servers, i.e. before you make any changes thaht might break whole environment.

11 hours ago, MartinK said:

Yesterday, after searching a zillion of articles we finally stumbled upon the same Kb, which we followed. Now we have a working era 6.5, but in 64bit.

I regret to say that even though it is a well documented procedure, it is not for the faint of heart. Many details had to be taken care off, like upgrading the old era installation to SQL express 2008 r2 sp3 etc.

A strange thing is that after importing the database and installing the same Era albeit in 64bit, the old certificates were already there, we did not have to import them again. Clients are connecting just fine. On Monday we'll check if updates are going well too.

If everything is ok, we'll upgrade to 7.x. would you suggest to upgrade directly to 7.2, or use an interim 7.x upgrade first?

Edited by carmik

• Administrators

It should be possible to upgrade from era v6.5 to ESMC 7.2 directly. Also please don't forget to upgrade your Endpoint to the latest v7.3.2041.

Last but not least, I'd like to bring into your attention ESET Dynamic Threat Defense which extends protection capabilities of ESET's v7+ security products by analyzing any file potentially carrying malicious code in a cloud sandbox and the results are shared across all machines in your organization. For more information, please read https://www.eset.com/int/business/dynamic-threat-defense/.