ESET Corrupting Mails/Attachments in Windows 8 Mail App

RobF

I've long been a multi-user license advocate of NOD-32 going back to word of mouth recommendations 6 or 7 years ago. My mother is one who I install and support it for. She had long complained of emails in Outlook Express on XP being corrupted (on a very standard build machine). Any time I looked it seemed to be MIME type problems (and content-type header visible as if email headers had been re-written and not properly formatted so breaking into content). It always occurred it might be ESET as everything else was so standard, but was never critical to fix.

However I've just given her a brand new Windows 8 laptop and installed ESET NOD32 again. Within days on a totally vanilla machine she was complaining of "content-type" headers in emails and worse, all attachments (docs, xls, etc) being corrupted when opened. I ran a remote desktop and confirmed all of this. Same emails showed up fine and downloaded attachments fine in Webmail or via other devices (i.e. iPad). I turned off ESET Email Client protection, and removed and re-added the IMAP account (to force re-download of emails) and hey presto, all fine.

The laptop is a few days old. She hasn't installed any other software or opened any other attachments so this is finally as close to a control test as you could want on a brand new vanilla setup. After years of paying for and recommending ESET, I can't believe that what I thought was just a quirk of mails her friends sent, was NOD-32 all along. What amazes me is that if this happens on such a vanilla setup, how come no one else has reported this? I have just reproduced the issue several times on fresh setups of Windows 8 Mail App with ESET.

- What re-writing does ESET NOD-32 do of emails received in Windows 8 Mail App?

- Is there a fix? (right now I have disabled email protection, which means actually I'll need a new AV provider)

• Administrators

Does disabling IMAP scanning in the advanced setup instead of disabling email protection make a difference? Please post the information about installed modules from the About window.

I've had similar issues but not with attachments, my whole profile would get corrupted and i can't send emails, only receive until I delete / readd the account. Never knew NOD32 could be the culprit but now that you mention this, I am sure it was.

Thanks Marcos. It's a standard install on a fresh machine so no unusual modules. The machine is remote and my mother is away so I won't be able to test your suggestion of disabling IMAP scanning only for about a week, but that sounds sensible when I can, thank you.

I did file a support request also but was sent a mail inviting me to call the support line. As I work long hours and am not by the machine I didn't feel this was helpful. It's a brand new vanilla setup, I'd expect ESET to go and reproduce - I'd wasted enough time isolating it.