Time Machine

Go to solution Solved by CB530,

• Most Valued Members

Might be a silly question, but what does Cyber Security do at the moment in regards to Time Machine?

There has been advice to exclude Time Machine in security software to avoid delays or issues with backing up, but what about ESET? Does Cyber Security do this automatically or should I make an exclusion myself? Or can I just leave it as is?

• ESET Staff

Hi Planet,

ESET Cyber Security and Cyber Security pro do not exclude Time Machine backups by default. This can result is long scan times, which can be avoided by creating an exclusion just as you suggested. Take a look at our Knowledgebase article for instructions to create an exclusion for your backup files.

If you are using version 4.x of ESET Cybersecurity (you can tell the difference because the name will be one word, just as I wrote it here), the steps are slightly different. Here is a link to the 4.x article.

Hope this answers your question.

• Most Valued Members

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks CB530, will go ahead and create an exclusion.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

Hi,

Although I set the exclusions as per the KB article, Time Machine is still slow with Real-time File System Protection enabled. As soon as I disable it, the backup is immediately faster and backing up as usual. Is there something else that should be excluded?

I do manual Time Machine backups (by clicking 'Back Up Now' from the menu, not automatically) with a USB 3.0 External Drive which is encrypted from Time Machine Preferences.

• ESET Staff

Hi Planet,

Unfortunately the instructions in the article are designed to make sure that on-demand scanning doesn't hang, not to optimize write times to your external drive when you are performing a back up. I will have to get back to you as to what the best way to speed up the backup process while RTFS protection is on.

• 4 months later...
  • Most Valued Members

Hi Planet,

Unfortunately the instructions in the article are designed to make sure that on-demand scanning doesn't hang, not to optimize write times to your external drive when you are performing a back up. I will have to get back to you as to what the best way to speed up the backup process while RTFS protection is on.

Hi CB530,

Any update in regards to this?

• ESET Staff

Hi Planet,

My apologies for not getting back to you. I am going to reach out to a colleague with more detailed knowledge of Cyber Security Advanced settings and see if they can better assist you here.

• Most Valued Members

Hi Planet,

My apologies for not getting back to you. I am going to reach out to a colleague with more detailed knowledge of Cyber Security Advanced settings and see if they can better assist you here.

Thank you CB530, no need to apologise - completely understand.  :)

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

Hi again,

So I did confirm with our subject matter experts that at this time there is no way to further accelerate the Time Machine process with RTFS engaged and the scanning exclusion in place. It might be worth taking 5 minutes to go back through the article just to double-check that you have the right files excluded, but I can tell you're a savvy user from your records on the forums so I suspect you did it correctly the first time.

• Most Valued Members

Hi again,

So I did confirm with our subject matter experts that at this time there is no way to further accelerate the Time Machine process with RTFS engaged and the scanning exclusion in place. It might be worth taking 5 minutes to go back through the article just to double-check that you have the right files excluded, but I can tell you're a savvy user from your records on the forums so I suspect you did it correctly the first time.

Thanks CB530 for looking into that for me, I'll double-check the exclusions.

Once again thank you for your assistance.  :)

Edited by planet