Real-time protection enable "Advanced heuristics/DNA/Smart signatures"

Hi,

I started using ESET SS 7 a few days ago and I must say I'm amazed by the non existing system impact while running the program. The program feels so much lightweight that it's just amazing.

Now to my first question regarding the settings in SS 7.

I went through the settings and was mainly keeping everything on default.

But there is one setting I'm would like to know more about. It's called "Advanced heuristics/DNA/Smart signatures", and this setting by default is:

• On-demand computer scan = enabled
  • Real-time file system protection = disabled

Why is it disabled for Real-time protection? Does this setting decrease the system performance?

Would it not be suggested to have it activated even for real-time protection?

I'm looking forward to read about your opinions and experiences regarding this function enabling and disabling depending on the real-time protection.

Regards

Geraner

Hello Geraner,

While not an official ESET response, i have speculated on this matter myself and came up with this:

Advanced heuristics, while disabled on Real-time , it is still enabled for newly created files and off for execution of files that have already existed or have been scanned already.

This is a genius move, similar to how Smart scanning technology works. If it is not an infection, and already exists on your machine, why scan it over and over and over again.

So we say, just scan the new stuff, and then if they never change, dont bother scanning again.

This reduces system performance. ;)

• Administrators

Enabling advanced heuristics on file access may have impact on system performance as code emulation is a time and resource consuming process. Therefore, advanced heuristics is only used for newly created and modified files as well as for file that are executed. Files whitelisted by ESET will not be scanned again if you have Smart optimization and LiveGrid enabled.

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

Enabling advanced heuristics on file access may have impact on system performance as code emulation is a time and resource consuming process. Therefore, advanced heuristics is only used for newly created and modified files as well as for file that are executed. Files whitelisted by ESET will not be scanned again if you have Smart optimization and LiveGrid enabled.

Good, now switch back to Core Performance of the product (e.g. v5)

To what degree of security can be reduced the product by disabling "Advanced heuristics On EXECUTION" but leaving the work in Memory Level to "HIPS Advanced Memory Scanner"

Next Performance Test for Security Suites is about to Start, ESET should recover their lightest performance

Edited by toxinon12345