Error ACT. 33 for new key activation

Hi there,

I renewed my license on this website which I was sent to by the ESET App itself.
https://new.shop.esetnod32.ru/

Now I get the error ACT. 33
It didn't say that there was a country restriction, or a didn't notice.
Is the website legit? Is there a way I can fix the issue and use my purchased code?

Hi Marcos, thank you for the quick reply.

I didn't know it was going to be a problem since the ESET software itself sent me to the Russian page.  I'll definitely buy from the EU next time and again, isn't that page legit?

• Most Valued Members

Have you been in Russia? Just wondering as it would make sense if bought in one country so the app would maybe persume you where in that country still so direct you to the russian site

TBH I've no clue why all of a sudden my ESET started to talk to me in Russian. That happened about 4/5 months ago.
(No, I'm not using a VPN on my laptop where the antivirus is currently installed).

It just happened that it started to talk to me in Russian and I followed the link it gave me when my license expired. Since the website is totally in Russian, I just installed an add-on to translate the page. The offer was great, the website seemed legitimate, so I bought the new license... Too bad it doesn't work outside of Russia ^^' .

10 minutes ago, Hotachan said:

I've no clue why all of a sudden my ESET started to talk to me in Russian. That happened about 4/5 months ago.

Technically speaking that is not possible without first uninstalling Eset and reinstalling it: https://support.eset.com/en/kb3552-change-the-language-of-your-eset-windows-home-product .

I am confused. I've never installed and reinstalled ESET within the last 12 months. I swear it was talking to me in English before a few months ago!
But anyway, no biggie. I'll just ask for a refund.
Since the website is legitimate I shouldn't have any problems.
Cheers*

19 minutes ago, Hotachan said:

I am confused. I've never installed and reinstalled ESET within the last 12 months. I swear it was talking to me in English before a few months ago!

The only way this could happen that I can think of is somehow a borked ; i.e. Russian language, Eset update was downloaded to your PC. If this happened, it would be a "first" as far as I am aware of.

Well well, our Russian friends have just replied that they are not going to refund me because now I know the mighty "license key". A key that I will never be able to use.

I'm pretty disapponted, also because the country restriction was never specified at time of purchase and they did not require any Russian address or telephone number to make the purchase. Meanwhile they did not refuse my Italian money.
"Pecunia non olet" they say in Latin.

Weird I got sent there by my antivirus, tho. If I cannot purchase a renewal why sending me there?
Kids outside of Russia DO NOT BUY from the Russian ESET website!

Edited by Hotachan
puntuaction

7 minutes ago, Hotachan said:

Well well, our Russian friends have just replied that they are not going to refund me because now I know the mighty "license key". A key that I will never be able to use.

This is B.S. All they have to do to is deactivate the license key. I would escalate the issue to Eset corporate in Slovakia.

The problem here is well .......... hard to believe since nothing like this has been documented to date as far as I am aware of. The problem here is you never reported previous the "mysterious" Eset GUI change to Russian.

Edited by itman

1 minute ago, itman said:

This is B.S. All they have to do to is deactivate the license key. I would escalate the issue to Eset corporate in Slovakia.

I agree with the B.S part!

There is also another way you can get your money refunded.

Assumed is you used a credit card for the Russian Eset license purchase. I don't know what card you used or what card issuer policies in Italy are. In the U.S. and with the major card issuers; e.g. Visa, MasterCard, etc., you can dispute the transaction. Clearly not receiving the product you purchased falls under disputed transaction criteria. The only requirement is you first try to resolve the issue yourself which you have fulfilled.

There are a couple of "glitches" though you will have to verify. First, this was an international transaction and the card issuer might have special rules for those. Next is there is a time limit on disputed transactions; e.g. 30 days maximum after statement date where the transaction appeared.

• Administrators

TBH I've no clue why all of a sudden my ESET started to talk to me in Russian. That happened about 4/5 months ago.

That's really weird. Maybe attackers connected via RDP  and installed the Russian version of our software to confuse you and to prevent you from understanding what settings they turned off or reconfigured in a way to allow malware to run. If you still have the Russian version installed, please collect logs with ESET Log Collector for perusal.

We'll reach out to the Russian partner on this. I too don't believe that refunding the license would not be possible. Feel free to drop me a message if you don't get a refund within several days so that I can escalate the case then.

Yes, I still have my lovely Russian version installed since I cant renew it!
I'll totally collect the logs since this thing is getting hilarious.

In the meantime check this out! My ESET speaking languages...  😂
(I blackened the "mighty key"... just in case)

Double language ESET.png

• Administrators

We have received a response from the Russian partner that they will refund you the license.

Please collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated zip file here.

If you could find your previous license (the one you "renewed" through the RU partner), please provide the public license ID. I was unable to find any license registered with your forum email address.

Hi Marcos, thank you for your help.

I also got a hold of them. Our Russian friends now say I can renew the license by "changing product" and activate the key through myeset.com.  My current license is not connected to this email, correct.

My current (before renewal) public ID is: 33D-F7B-3RE

I did collect the logs, but they're bigger than 100MB so I can't attach the zip file here.

Now, all things considerate I would be happy to just being able to use what I purchased. If I can really use that key without refund and such I'd just do that.

What do you suggest Marcos?

• Administrators

Really weird. All previous license keys commence with RUAW- and were issued by ESET Russia.

The last license which already expired was registered to "Матина В." and the email address ma.....9@mail.ru.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

Maybe attackers connected via RDP  and installed the Russian version of our software to confuse you and to prevent you from understanding what settings they turned off or reconfigured in a way to allow malware to run.

I also was thinking along this line; a hacked version of Eset somehow got installed.

I had something like this happen years back when I was using Emsisoft. Somehow a hacked version of it got installed on Win 7 I was using at the time. And the hack was insidious to say the least. Only critical components were replaced like the engine component. I could never fully establish how this happened, but my best guess was I somehow received a hacked EAM product update.

If the OP is using Win 10 Home version, rule out RDP since its not installed (inbound RDP) on the Home versions.

2 hours ago, Hotachan said:

I did collect the logs, but they're bigger than 100MB so I can't attach the zip file here.

Upload to free file sharing web site and PM @Marcos the download link for the file.