Nod32 won't update.

Pentode

• Most Valued Members

the above command will create and save a file on the C drive with the name "updates.txt", open that text file and you'll be able to see what updates are installed.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Pentode said:

I can't understand....! Nothing comes up, I ran CMD as Admin. and typed systeminfo > c:\updates.txt, sure did scan but produced no results,

Without elevated admin rights you cannot write to the root of the system drive. You can create a folder c:\log and then run "systeminfo > c:\log\updates.txt"

8 hours ago, Pentode said:

I can't understand....! Nothing comes up, I ran CMD as Admin. and typed systeminfo > c:\updates.txt, sure did scan but produced no results, I tried again but I 'copied and paste' and got same result - scans but finds nothing reverting back to input command.

I KNOW there should be some in there, which ones I can't say, I doubled checked I'm running Win 7  pro Sp1 6.1 x64 bit and shows a valid installation.

Dave

Please re-read my post again Marcos.....

I can't understand....! Nothing comes up, I ran CMD as Admin. and typed systeminfo > c:\updates.txt, sure did scan but produced no results, I tried again but I 'copied and paste' and got same result - scans but finds nothing reverting back to input command.

I ran CMD as Administrator, that is running CMD elevated isn't it?  I get ' Loading Hotfix Information ...' nothing comes up it reverts to C:\windows\system32>

Is this what it does when it finds nothing or is something stopping the scan?

Dave

• Most Valued Members

check this video, that should happen after entering the command in the cmd as admin.
under normal circumstances  you should be able to see the file in the C drive.

https://youtu.be/ncIv4HWXCzk

Edited by shocked

Ah, it sticks a file on C drive I did not know this..... I am sorry, I'll snip the rest here is the result-:

Hotfix(s):                 N/A

Now this explains a lot... there isn't any! So what to do now The OS is genuine, Win 7 pro SP1, version 6.1 x64, pretty sure this is the answer you are seeking.

Dave

12 hours ago, Pentode said:

Nothing comes up, I ran CMD as Admin. and typed systeminfo > c:\updates.txt, sure did scan but produced no results, I tried again but I 'copied and paste' and got same result - scans but finds nothing reverting back to input command.

First, no need to run this from Admin command prompt window.

Next, you have to open c:\updates.txt using notepad.exe after running the command. This file will most definitely contain some data.

2 hours ago, Pentode said:

Now this explains a lot... there isn't any! So what to do now The OS is genuine, Win 7 pro SP1, version 6.1 x64, pretty sure this is the answer you are seeking.

One possibility here is you ran disk cleanup in the past to remove past Win Updates installation data. This might have also for some reason also removed any history data. Or, you reinstalled in the past from an image backup. Or, you did a Win 7 SP1 install from media containing SP1 and you never applied any updates, or did an image restore from a backup just containing this.

It also appears that select Win 7 Update Fix-It's can affect displaying of Win Update history.

BTW is your Win 7 legit and not a cracked version?

Edited by itman

See if your Win Updates show when accessed directly from Win Update checking option as shown here: https://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/161700-win7-view-windows-update-history-blank-missing-post1385877.html#post1385877

Edited by itman

Thanks for your solid patience you are showing.... I've never done any re-installs since I always keep a clone.

YES I have ran disc clean up in the past. There is nothing in Update History, there was a few I can remember seeing, it say's that 'I haven't tried to install any'..... I'm flummoxed now, surely a drive wipe shouldn't clean them out.

When running update I get error 'Windows could not search for new updates showing error code 80080005 underneath. Is this  service 'live' or is the server no longer in use?

Dave

Edit:

Searching for installed updates come's up blank - zilch...!

Edited by Pentode

On 10/4/2020 at 10:04 AM, Pentode said:

When running update I get error 'Windows could not search for new updates showing error code 80080005 underneath. Is this  service 'live' or is the server no longer in use?

Long thread on this here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/code-80080005-error-on-windows-update-with-windows/45cdbfa6-5d39-4223-8acc-c5fbc1c347d4?page=1

Also the uTube video posted in this thread is worth a read.

You can't update Win 7 via Win Updates anymore since it's no longer a supported OS by Microsoft. Your only recourse for updating Win 7 is from updates posted on the Windows Catalog Update web site.

Really it is time to give up on that Win 7 "ghost" and upgrade to Win 10. Your other alternative is to try to obtain a Win 8.1 license which is still supported till January, 2023.

Edited by itman

Time to revisit your original posting:

On 9/21/2020 at 2:43 PM, Pentode said:

there are other Anti Viruses programmes that cater for Win 7 for another 2 years at least -

Good luck on finding any that will run on your current Win 7 installation.

Microsoft has obsoleted use of SHA-1 protocol on all OS versions except for perhaps XP. As such, all AV vendor's are now deploying SHA-2 to sign their executable's. Correspondingly, none of these other security solution current versions will run on your existing configured Win 7 build.

Edited by itman