Sloooow network transfers

• ESET Insiders

As I copied a graphics driver from a file server on the local network to my laptop it got my attention that I was able to copy to the file server at 100 Mbps from my desktop (Windows Defender) but when I copied it from the server to my laptop (EIS 13.2.18.0) It copied at 5 Mbps. When I disable protection on EIS it also then copied at 100 Mbps. Why the 95% loss of transfer rate? This happens both on the wireless and the  gigabit wired connections. Windows 10, 64 bit, new laptop.

• Administrators

The case will require deeper investigation. Does the issue actually go away after pausing real-time protection? What type of files do you copy? Executables, archives, media files, etc.

• ESET Insiders

Yes, the issue disappears entirely if I disable real-time protection. This exact file is one I copied (it's NVIDIA, the link should be clean). https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/456.38/456.38-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

• Administrators

Please create a Procmon log from time when you copy the file. Start logging shortly before you start copying the file and stop logging after the file has been copied.

• Administrators

From the log it's obvious that it took long to copy \\rs2416\backup\456.38-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe which is about 606 MB in size. All operations were performed by explorer.exe and ekrn.exe didn't touch it.

Could you please provide also ELC logs from the machine? Do you have scanning of network drives disabled in the real-time protection setup? What AV is installed on the machine rs2416 ? Does adding the path to the above file to the performance exclusions make a difference?

• ESET Insiders

I'm not sure where to go with this at the moment. While I was waiting for a response I did some other testing. I ran an internet speed test. It wouldn't even run on Firefox and on Chrome I got about 400 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up. If I disabled protocol scanning I got 845 Mbps down and 785 Mbps up (gigabit fiber) on any browser. I uninstalled EIS to do some testing. The file transfer it still slow despite the fact that it is using Windows Defender now, even if I disable it. When I had EIS last week but disabled it I was getting over 100 Mbps transfer rates. The file server the file is being copied from is just a NAS and it reliably copies at 100+ Mbps to other PCs. I guess I'll do some more tests and if I can figure out anything useful I will post back.