Anti-spam is rather disappointing

I really don't like using a negative subject line to introduce a new thread, but it is unfortunately necessary in this case. Overall, I am extremely happy with SS. In my estimation it is the best of its kind available. However, the Anti-spam module is less than satisfactory in my experience. Rarely does the Anti-spam recognize spam messages in my inbox. Many are foreign language e-mails which I have to manually mark as spam. I also get a few spam messages from the same source/address, and even after designating them as spam, SS never catches them. Is there any way to increase the effectiveness of the Anti-Spam feature?

Hello,

First off, what email client are you using ?

Second, do you have a folder setup that is dedicated for spam, what did you name it ?

My last question would have to be more of a statement, if you classify a message as Spam by ESET, and it never catches it on the second time it comes through, something must be setup wrong or the conclusion should be, not that its disappointing, but why isn't it working. It's not working at all. :lol:

Let's see if we can determine your issue ! ;)

Thanks

Hello, :)

Marcos posted this link yesterday in another thread showing the supported email clients.

Which email clients are compatible with Windows ESET products?

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2138

FWIW.

ESET's VB Spam test history. 

https://www.virusbtn.com/vbspam/archive/vendor?id=563

And as you can see here in the recent March test the tested vendors detected over 99.40% of the SPAM so the difference between the vendors is small, and the FP rate is low for many of them.

https://www.virusbtn.com/vbspam/charts/vbspam-chart-0314-1200.jpg

I agree with Arakasi it doesn't sound like it works as it should at the moment.

Edited by SweX

Hello,

First off, what email client are you using ?

Second, do you have a folder setup that is dedicated for spam, what did you name it ?

My last question would have to be more of a statement, if you classify a message as Spam by ESET, and it never catches it on the second time it comes through, something must be setup wrong or the conclusion should be, not that its disappointing, but why isn't it working. It's not working at all. :lol:

Let's see if we can determine your issue ! ;)

Thanks

1. E-mail Client: Outlook 2007

2. Spam Folder: Default Outlook 'Junk E-mail', which is also the folder designated in the SS Anti-Spam setup configuration.

3. Not catching repetitive spam messages: Agreed and that's why I asked the question. ;)

4. Just grasping at straws now, but is it possible that Outlook's anti-spam is causing a conflict with SS's Anti-Spam?

Hi again,

IT may be ! , try creating a seperate folder called "ESET Spam", and also look in trust center of outlook and make sure you can see the ESET plugin installed.

iF there is a way to turn off outlook spam prot or rules, i would do it.

Hi again,

IT may be ! , try creating a seperate folder called "ESET Spam", and also look in trust center of outlook and make sure you can see the ESET plugin installed.

iF there is a way to turn off outlook spam prot or rules, i would do it.

I looked in the "Trust Center" and I cannot see Eset nor anything related to it in any of the sections. I would have expected it (if it is supposed to be there) in the "Addins" section. Where exactly should I be looking in the Trust Center? And, what am I looking for, i.e., what should the Eset antispam be worded as if not something obvious?

Can you see the ESET toolbar ?

I can look when i get to a computer later...

Yes, I have the ESET anti-spam toolbar. I have to use it constantly to manually click the "Spam" button because rarely are the spam messages caught and marked "spam" by ESET.

See attached pics of my Outlook settings.

1. I do not have the "ESET Outlook Add-in" for 'Com Add-ins'.

2. I do not have anything for ESET in the 'Trusted Publishers'

3. I do have "ESET Outlook Plugin" in the "Trust Center > Add-ins > Exchange Client Extensions" section.

So, my guess is ESET Anti-spam isn't properly installed/integrated into Outlook. OR, Outook 2007 is different from the version of Outlook you are using. Methinks some progress has been made at least in discovering the cause of the problem, but assuming that ESET Anti-spam isn't installed correctly, the obvious questions are Why? and Can it be fixed?

Thanks for spending time with me on this issue.

• Administrators

The best would be to contact Customer care and provide them with examples of spam emails that went through antispam.

The best would be to contact Customer care and provide them with examples of spam emails that went through antispam.

Aside from reinstalling, it would not be a bad idea, you could find the problem and provide samples to prevent this from ever happening again, if there is a problem.

:)

Edited by Arakasi

Hello,

I would follow the directions indicated here:

How do I submit a virus, website or potential false positive sample to ESET's lab?

Maybe save the email as .msg :)  and then archive it. Specify that it is email spam not caught by filter or similar.

However you can always "reclassify selected message as spam" by right clicking the email then choosing ESET.

you have said, that you are clicking on the "spam button" - there i have the effect, that only the mail message is moved to the junk mail Folder!

Try to use the button Spam-Adress!

I have ca. 30 Mailaccounts in Outlook with sometimes the same spam. From all accounts the spam is recognized and moved with a success rate over 99%. (ca. 400 Spam-Mails per Day).

The only Problem i have is that if a spam mail is not recognized - only the marked mail is moved to spam. if i have on other accounts the same spam i have to move them manually with the spam-button. Here the "Spam-Adress" button is not working because u have already the Sender blacklisted.

Thorsten