Network protection troubleshooting advice

Hi, I had windows security pop up saying app and browser control needs attention. I just dismissed it because Eset should be looking after that I hope. The other thing is I noticed under network protection troubleshooting there are 2 apps or devices being blocked, I unblocked them. Now I am not sure if I should block them again or leave unblocked. I attached a screenshot of them. One is SSDP Discovery, the other is my laptop, I am on a desktop right now. I am at home on a personal internet if it matters. Thanks for any help.

Eset.png

• Administrators

Please do not run the firewall troubleshooting wizard unless you experience issues that go away after temporarily pausing the firewall.

If you are having issues that led you to run the troubleshooting wizard, please elaborate more on them.

I didn't run any wizard. I just want to know if those 2 things that eset has blocked need to be blocked. I unblocked them cause one is my laptop, and the other is Windows SSDP Recovery. Do you not know if they need to be blocked or not? Eset was blocking them on its own, I just want to know if I should continue to block them or can I unblock them. Maybe you don't understand, is there someone who could answer that for me? Thanks

Edit: Oh, I was not having any problems just that windows defender gave me notice about app and browser not being monitored.

Edited by kwk1
ad some more info

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, kwk1 said:

I didn't run any wizard.

You did, it's obvious from the screen shot that you clicked here:

image.png

Please don't run the troubleshooting wizard unless you experience actual issues with network communication.

Under set up>Network protection> the troubleshooting wizard showed 2 recently blocked apps or devices. I simply clicked to see what they were. How is that running the wizard. When I saw the 2 things that were blocked, I unblocked them. You still haven't answered if they need to be blocked or if it's okay that they are no longer blocked. If you don't know the answer, then please just tell me instead of constantly bringing up that I ran a wizard. I will just contact Eset support if you can't answer my question.

• Most Valued Members
18 minutes ago, kwk1 said:

Under set up>Network protection> the troubleshooting wizard showed 2 recently blocked apps or devices. I simply clicked to see what they were. How is that running the wizard. When I saw the 2 things that were blocked, I unblocked them. You still haven't answered if they need to be blocked or if it's okay that they are no longer blocked. If you don't know the answer, then please just tell me instead of constantly bringing up that I ran a wizard. I will just contact Eset support if you can't answer my question.

That is exactly running the troubleshooter wizard. Sometimes I've seen stuff blocked but what Marcos is saying is if you've had no issues its best not to go in there and unblock anything. That area is designed so if you find your having problems with something not working you can go in there and see if anything if maybe being blocked and unblock it.

You should be fine but it's hard to know exactly why something is being  blocked. 

I did find at one point when using the public network setting in Eset a lot of stuff was blocked in the network troubleshooter that wasn't when switched to home but some do recommend using public. The link below explains how to check and change this setting 

https://support.eset.com/en/kb3754-change-network-connection-firewall-setting-in-eset-windows-home-products

As for the browser control part unsure about this. If it happens again see if you can get a screenshot of the actual message

2 minutes ago, peteyt said:

That is exactly running the troubleshooter wizard. Sometimes I've seen stuff blocked but what Marcos is saying is if you've had no issues its best not to go in there and unblock anything. That area is designed so if you find your having problems with something not working you can go in there and see if anything if maybe being blocked and unblock it.

You should be fine but it's hard to know exactly why something is being  blocked. 

I did find at one point when using the public network setting in Eset a lot of stuff was blocked in the network troubleshooter that wasn't when switched to home but some do recommend using public. The link below explains how to check and change this setting 

https://support.eset.com/en/kb3754-change-network-connection-firewall-setting-in-eset-windows-home-products

As for the browser control part unsure about this. If it happens again see if you can get a screenshot of the actual message

Thanks for the reply peteyt. Well I had no issues but unblocked the 2 items. I did also switch the network to home from public after reading about them. I thought since my laptop was 1 thing that was blocked, maybe selecting home network would help it to know it is a safe device. So now, because I unblocked those 2 items, I'm wondering if I should reset the settings to default, or would that not change anything? Thanks for your reply.

• Most Valued Members
Just now, kwk1 said:

Thanks for the reply peteyt. Well I had no issues but unblocked the 2 items. I did also switch the network to home from public after reading about them. I thought since my laptop was 1 thing that was blocked, maybe selecting home network would help it to know it is a safe device. So now, because I unblocked those 2 items, I'm wondering if I should reset the settings to default, or would that not change anything? Thanks for your reply.

I think you should be fine but if your unsure you could try it.

1 minute ago, peteyt said:

I think you should be fine but if your unsure you could try it.

Okay thanks. I think I'll just leave it be for now unless something else comes up. Thanks again peteyt. :)

If you are using Eset's firewall Public network protection, the only trusted device on your network is the device where Eset is installed on. Eset;s default firewall rules for inbound SSDP traffic; i.e. UDP protocol port 1900, only allow this traffic for trusted network devices.

To stop this blocking activity from occurring, there are the following options:

1. Switch Eset network protection mode for your network to "Home or office network."

2. Disable the Win SSDP service. This is the option I employ since I use Eset's Public network protection.

3. Disable UDP on your router if it exists and is enabled. What is occurring is the router is allowing other devices on your network "to discover" your device for connectivity purposes.

Edited by itman

43 minutes ago, itman said:

If you are using Eset's firewall Public network protection, the only trusted device on your network is the device where Eset is installed on. Eset;s default firewall rules for inbound SSDP traffic; i.e. UDP protocol port 1900, only allow this traffic for trusted network devices.

To stop this blocking activity from occurring, there are the following options:

1. Switch Eset network protection mode for your network to "Home or office network."

2. Disable the Win SSDP service. This is the option I employ since I use Eset's Public network protection.

3. Disable UDP on your router if it exists and is enabled. What is occurring is the router is allowing other devices on your network "to discover" your device for connectivity purposes.

Thanks for the reply itman. I did set to "home or office" and disabled Win SSDP. Not sure why Marco couldn't tell me that. Again, thanks for the useful reply. :)

1 hour ago, kwk1 said:

Thanks for the reply itman. I did set to "home or office" and disabled Win SSDP. Not sure why Marco couldn't tell me that. Again, thanks for the useful reply. :)

If you are using Eset's Home or office network protection mode, all your local network devices are Trusted. As such, there really is no reason to disable SSDP service since Eset will allow all that type network traffic.

Edited by itman