Possible upgrades of ESET Business Product.

Possible upgrades of ESET Business Product.

Hello everyone and thanks for hosting my question in the forum.

I am doing a research for a client at this moment and I can’t find any clear answer to my questions through the websites of ESET.

I will briefly explain a couple of things, so you can have a better image of the situation.

Right now, on a Server we are running an ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition protection, but according to ESET EOL Policies this version will be supported until December 2020. Although there is a transition period.

Our product is for one more year licensed, but as I mentioned before, is not going to be supported anymore.

Q: Can we upgrade our product? If yes is there a list with the upgrade possibilities? Which product are supported for the one-year transition period?

Q: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition stops at the 4rth Edition, after that the 5th, 6th and 7th Edition continue as Endpoint Security and Endpoint Antivirus(?). Is this a rebranding of the older Antivirus 4 Business Edition?

Q: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition is at the same category with Endpoint Security and Endpoint Antivirus, can we upgrade our product to one of those two?

Q: Is there any specific requirement for the migration/transition to a newer version? i.e. must the server be a Domain Controller or needs to have a specific role?

Thank you in advance for any your answers! 

• Administrators

Getting rid of the legacy v4 products is a must. These products are not compatible with modern operating systems and provide substantially weaker protection against malware.

1. A valid license entitles you to download, activate and update any version of the product that you've purchased. We strongly recommend to use the latest version because it addresses issues known from older versions and often bring other improvements, such as new protection features, performance improvements, etc. On a file server you should install the latest ESET File Security v7.1. On clients ESET Endpoint Antivirus 7.3.2039.
A correct procedure for upgrading v4 to v7 is as follows:
- uninstall v4
- reboot the server
- install the latest version of the security product.

Upgrades of v7 to newer versions are easier and you can install v7 on top of an older v7. Also we are going to make program updates available to business products most likely later this year.

2. The successor of ESET Endpoint Antivirus 4 BE is ESET Endpoint Antivirus v5 which is now obsolete as well. For file servers we had ESET File Security v4.

3. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition is at the same category with ESET Endpoint Antivirus. In order to use ESET Endpoint Security which contains also a firewall and antispam you'd need to have a license for that product (it's possible to upgrade EEA licenses to EES).

4, There are no specific requirements for the server except those listed at https://help.eset.com/efsw/7.1/en-US/system_requirements.html.

Also I'd like to bring ESET Dynamic Threat Defense into your attention which is an extension of our security products. It provides cloud-based analysis of files to ensure instant response to new threats within your organization and substantially improves protection from ransowmare and other malware.

Hello Marcos,

thank you very much for your answer to my questions.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:58 AM, Marcos said:

A valid license entitles you to download, activate and update any version of the product that you've purchased

If our product is obsolete, and even the next version of it is also outdated, can we upgrade our system with the same license-key to the ESET File Security v7.1?

Or let me put it specifically and clearly, which version could be possible to be installed with our license-key from ESET Endpoint Antivirus 4 BE? There is over a year remaining.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:58 AM, Marcos said:

On a file server you should install the latest ESET File Security v7.1. On clients ESET Endpoint Antivirus 7.3.2039.

What about on a Terminal Server? The current product is running on a Terminal-Server. Does a specific product cover this area?

Thanks again in advance. 

• ESET Moderators
1 hour ago, chameleonzx said:

If our product is obsolete, and even the next version of it is also outdated, can we upgrade our system with the same license-key to the ESET File Security v7.1?

Or let me put it specifically and clearly, which version could be possible to be installed with our license-key from ESET Endpoint Antivirus 4 BE? There is over a year remaining.

ESET license keys are not bind to version, but to a product / product tier better said. 

Usually the packs for the endpoints cover EFSW as well, but I would rather check it with your local sales team.

1 hour ago, chameleonzx said:

What about on a Terminal Server? The current product is running on a Terminal-Server. Does a specific product cover this area?

EFSW is the product recommended for use on the terminal servers.

When it comes to licensing, they are a special case as they should have a license covering the terminal sessions so again I would recommend to check this with your local sales team...

Peter