Random application crashes

My 83-year-old mother has a laptop running Windows 10 and ESET Internet Security v 13. She has very few programs on this laptop and it normally has no issues because I keep it simple for her to use.

This weekend I purchased and downloaded a program from the Microsoft App Store called Omar Sharif Bridge.  The game is randomly closing or hanging up while she is using it. I've installed the same program on my own desktop and laptop, which both have many more and complex programs running on them, but I cannot recreate the issues she is having on her computer. I've tried re-installing and all of the other standard troubleshooting steps, with no luck.

On my computers, I use ESET interactive mode, but since she does not live with me, I have her product set to automatic filtering. My guess is that I need to manually change something in her ESET configuration, but I cannot figure out what that should be. Can anyone assist by providing me with some ideas of where to make changes to ESET that could alleviate these issues?

Thanks much!

• Administrators

The issue seems to be unrelated to ESET. In order to rule out the ESET firewall, you can temporarily pause it. However, I assume the issue would persist even after uninstalling ESET.

3 hours ago, LissaB said:

This weekend I purchased and downloaded a program from the Microsoft App Store called Omar Sharif Bridge.  The game is randomly closing or hanging up while she is using it. I've installed the same program on my own desktop and laptop, which both have many more and complex programs running on them, but I cannot recreate the issues she is having on her computer.

Did she also purchase this Store App? Did she install this app on her PC?

38 minutes ago, itman said:

Did she also purchase this Store App? Did she install this app on her PC?

Yes, the purchase and download from the MS App Store was on her laptop - I did both for her.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

The issue seems to be unrelated to ESET. In order to rule out the ESET firewall, you can temporarily pause it. However, I assume the issue would persist even after uninstalling ESET.

Hi - how do you know that?

• Administrators

ESET firewall allows all outbound communication from your computer. It would have to be a remote server that would attempt to establish communication with an application running on your machine which is unlikely if it's not a kind of server application.

• Most Valued Members

You can also try the firewall troubleshoot wizard in setup - network protection. You could try disabling a few things to see if any fix this to but remember to enable.

If the game runs fine on your PC and both you and your mother have the same Eset software and version, the random game disconnects on your mother's device has to be related to some issue other than Eset.

Does your mother have a different Win OS version than you have installed? Does your mother's PC have additional security software installed? The list of possible game to software conflicts installed on your mother's PC goes on and on .............

12 hours ago, itman said:

If the game runs fine on your PC and both you and your mother have the same Eset software and version, the random game disconnects on your mother's device has to be related to some issue other than Eset.

Does your mother have a different Win OS version than you have installed? Does your mother's PC have additional security software installed? The list of possible game to software conflicts installed on your mother's PC goes on and on .............

Thank you for trying to help! She has the same OS and only ESET on her computer.

The only way to prove that Eset is the cause of the random disconnects is to temporarily uninstall Eset. This will result in Windows Defender real-time protection activating on your mother's PC. If the game random disconnects still continue, the issue is not Eset related. You can then reinstall Eset.